The .41 Mag Blackhawk

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, January 04, 2018, 10:53 (2452 days ago)

I don't know how many of you guys have one or shoot it often. I've got an OM and need to install the Clements hammer I got a while back for it. I also want to get a better set of stocks, the ones it has are a bit mismatched in color/shade. I was shooting 7 gr. Unique under the 210 gr. SWC. I kinda like the .41 Special type loads. Like 7.5 gr. Unique and 250 gr. SWC in the .44 Special it seems to be more than enough for actual applications I encounter.

Would like to hear/read about any experiences you might like to share.

PS - I had to get this revolver because I'd been wanting one since shooting one at a pre-season sighting in session in 1970. For some reason I thought it was SO cool!

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I've got a NM Flattop and a 5-1/2" Redhawk

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, January 04, 2018, 14:02 (2452 days ago) @ Hobie

I've been keeping my eyes open for an OM but they don't turn up when the jingle is in the pocket. I guess I don't shoot either an awful lot. However, they both shoot just fine. I'd have to look as to loads but I usually don't get too ambitious...I have larger calibers if I need more oomph.

I've got a NM Flattop and a 5-1/2" Redhawk

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Friday, January 05, 2018, 13:20 (2451 days ago) @ Hoot

Hoot:

Is your Redhawk blued or stainless? I have one in blue that's a delight to shoot with .41 Special level loads and is heavy enough for the full house stuff on the (very) rare occasions when I'm so moved.

Rem

Yep, blued.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, January 05, 2018, 13:26 (2451 days ago) @ Remington40x

[image]

Although, it now sports some Deacon Deason(sp?) grips.

The .41 Mag Blackhawk

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Thursday, January 04, 2018, 16:21 (2452 days ago) @ Hobie

I also have OM 41 Mag, don't shoot it much. Bullet I use is 200 gr round flat nose I cast and sized .412". I've used 6.5 Herco for an easy shooting load, 7.1 Unique that does good at 25 yd, and 9.6 AA-5 for more power but not top end. I only shot a few mag level loads and did not enjoy it. Some folks like the Lyman 410032 but I never found an accurate load with that bullet. BTW, if anyone really wants an OM 41 Mag, send me an email, I've got two.

The .41 Mag Blackhawk

by Robb Barnes, Thursday, January 04, 2018, 18:59 (2452 days ago) @ Cherokee

is my favorite caliber. There is everything from old model conversions in 41 Special to five shot 414 hiding in the safe. There is even a USFA down at Alan Hartons that is becoming a 41 Special as I type.

The .41 Mag Blackhawk

by Gunner @, St Louis, Thursday, January 04, 2018, 20:16 (2452 days ago) @ Hobie

I have been called many names over the years but one I could agree with was 41 Freak....

http://gunner.sixshootercommunity.org/pictures.htm

Just some of my 41's back at the peak of my craziness with 41 Mag's, I topped out at almost 80 counting TC barrels. Sadly I am down to less than a dozen. I always thought it was more than enough to handle anything one might encounter, depending on the load of course. Good power without the recoil bite like some magnums, never had one that didn't shoot good.

http://gunner.sixshootercommunity.org/range.htm

I have tons of reloading data with chronograph results, shoot me an email and I will get you a copy.

[image]

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

The .41 Mag Blackhawk

by Byron, Friday, January 05, 2018, 13:49 (2451 days ago) @ Hobie

[image]

Back in the day when I was a high roller (before Obamacare) I had an obsession for nice single action Blackhawks.

David Clements built up this one and SK made the English Walnut grips for it.

It does what .41 Magnums do very well.

Cheers,

Byron

The .41 Mag Blackhawk

by MS @, Southern Michigan, Friday, January 05, 2018, 14:48 (2451 days ago) @ Byron

Byron sir, you are a man of fine tastes!
That has to be the most beautiful sixgun I have ever seen.
I love my Freedom Arms M97 in 41 Mag, but it isn't in the same league as yours for appeal.

Cheers! Mark

Correction....

by Byron, Friday, January 05, 2018, 17:30 (2451 days ago) @ MS

The picture is a "Magnaport Super Blackhawk" .44 Magnum. Note the dragoon trigger guard and ported barrel.

The .41 is even nicer. Let me find a picture. I lose track.

Byron

Here is the .41. Magnum.

by Byron, Friday, January 05, 2018, 17:46 (2451 days ago) @ Byron

[image]

Ruger/Clements/SK/Turnbull/Bowen/etc

Very nice.

Byron

Really like the color case-hardening

by CJM @, Friday, January 05, 2018, 21:08 (2451 days ago) @ Byron

on that Ruger. I have a 4 5/8 barrel Ruger 41 Magnum, a mis-matched pair of Bisleys (one with cylinder roll engraved, the other with fluted cylinder) that I used to shoot Cowboy Action. A couple Redhawks, some model 57's & 657's and a Marlin CCL in 41 magnum complete my collection of 41 magnum guns.

You tease!

by MS @, Southern Michigan, Saturday, January 06, 2018, 08:32 (2450 days ago) @ Byron

I can't see the picture you are posting from Photobucket.

I did indeed miss the SBH Dragoon gripframe.

The color case hardening and the grain of the grippystocks has me mesmerized.;-)

Once more...

by Byron, Saturday, January 06, 2018, 11:27 (2450 days ago) @ MS

This is the .41 Magnum.

http://u.cubeupload.com/Byron/41magjpg.jpg

Cheers,

Here's a "death ray"...

by Byron, Saturday, January 06, 2018, 11:51 (2450 days ago) @ Byron

Three five seven by Dave Clements.

Nice

http://u.cubeupload.com/Byron/deathray.jpg

Those are all very nice!

by MS @, Southern Michigan, Saturday, January 06, 2018, 12:42 (2450 days ago) @ Byron

Deteriorating vision has stolen the fun out of shooting iron sighted handguns, and as such my desire for them has diminished a bit.
Yours would be a group of them to keep.

The .41 Mag Blackhawk

by Stevens416 @, SE PA, Friday, October 12, 2018, 08:49 (2172 days ago) @ Hobie

I don't have a Blackhawk, although I've owned two Ruger Bisley 7-1/2 inchers over the years, but I do currently own both a blue Redhawk 5-1/2 inch and a Freedom Arms Model 93 6 inch. The FA is reserved solely for .41 Special loads, primarily 200 grain cast at 950-1000 FPS. I'll shoot full house .41 Mag loads out of the Redhawk from time to time, but I don't really need the full house loads for anything I do with the revolver and the .41 Special loads are a lot more fun.

It's a great cartridge and had Elmer favored a .41 Colt rather than a .44 Special, it probably would be a lot more popular today.

The .41 Mag Blackhawk

by Stevens416 @, SE PA, Friday, October 12, 2018, 08:51 (2172 days ago) @ Stevens416

That should have read "Freedom Arms Model 97". Darn typos. Some day I will learn to proofread my own typing.

RSS Feed of thread