Howdy boys. Modern N-frame and .44 special wonderments.

by jerry b, Monday, January 01, 2018, 13:16 (2455 days ago)
edited by jerry b, Monday, January 01, 2018, 19:22

I have had this Smith Model 624 (6.5" bbl) for about 10 years now. Accurate and a pleasure to shoot. A bit "big", but not too terribly heavy at 42 OZ, with good sights and a trigger dreams are made of.

So why would I not sell this revolver?

Anytime a discussion about the .44 special comes up (I ain't talking about Keith loads here, either; more like the well-touted Skeeter load or "Category 2" Pearce loads), folks run around waving their arms about blowing up guns, maiming one and all, and all sorts of general mayhem. Still we have no official +P data for modern strong revolvers (and there are now many around), so we can go forth and handload with confidence. Nope, we are told to go get a .44 magnum if we want to hotrod specials way on up to 1000 fps with standard for caliber bullet weights.

Are "they" right? What is the purpose to own anything without a Magnum stamp on the barrel? Golly, are we risking life and limb here? Other than a part of a collection, is there ANY real-world use for a moderately loaded .44 special? Why would I want an N-frame for 240 grains at 750 fps? Do I dare use those other loads in an N-frame? Oh my.

regards and :banghead:
jb

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Monday, January 01, 2018, 13:23 (2455 days ago) @ jerry b

That load will do just about any normal thing you want to do. I shoot those level of loads in my 44 Mag, don't need the Mag level. Enjoy...

FOR THOSE WHO UNDERSTAND

by SIXGUNNER, Monday, January 01, 2018, 14:24 (2455 days ago) @ Cherokee

NO EXPLANATION IS NECESSARY; FOR THOSE WHO DON'T NO EXPLANATION IS POSSIBLE.

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 11:43 (2454 days ago) @ jerry b

Jerry:

The .44 Special loaded to about 1000 fps is a perfect cartridge for just about anything you can reasonably do with a handgun. (So is the .41 Magnum loaded to the same velocity and placed in a Freedom Arms Model 97, but I digress.)

Ignore the naysayers.

I have one of the early 6" 624s,

by former hater of plastic, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 13:31 (2454 days ago) @ Remington40x

and personally think it built for 700-1000fps 200-240gr loads since it was a Russian, American, New Century, etc. And find the handle intolerable with anything more, unless a glutton for punishment. The later developments only to satisfy American "if this is good, more must be better, and a lot LOT more approaches perfection, or, at least, bragging rights."

The Skeeter load of a 250 gr. at 1000 fps is just about perf

by JD, Western Washington, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 15:00 (2454 days ago) @ jerry b

Skeeter's load of 7.5 grains of Unique with a 250 grain lead SWC is just about perfect. It will penetrate and provides enough power for just about anything, yet the pressure is low enough that it won't cause any undue strain on a modern N frame or single action revolver. Skeeter shot thousands of this load through his 44 Specials... Probably tens of thousands of rounds with no harm to the gun. I've shot thousands of rounds through my single actions with nary a hiccup.

To me it is THE perfect round. Enough power and penetration to take care of virtually any situation, yet not abusive to the shooter or the revolver.....

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 18:41 (2454 days ago) @ jerry b

I’m getting the vibe that you are posting in jest, but, ironically, there is an article in the newest handloader in ‘+P .44 Special loads’. I haven’t even taken the plastic off just yet but I’m sure there is some good info within.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Yep. Scanned it last night.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 08:54 (2454 days ago) @ Slow Hand

There's more than a couple of zippers in the lot.

But, I am a bit confused (probably just need to read the piece). The loads are classified as 'Category 2' and 'Category 3' loads but I see no mention of 'Category 1'. I'll have to read the article today and see if illumination comes.

by jerry b, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 09:25 (2454 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Jest,yes and no.

Considering the number of new .44 specials and those coming and going in the last 30 years or so, one would think that loading manual publishers would have a section for specific new revolvers. Heck, Speer has such data for .45-70, .45 Colt, .257 Roberts, etc. It's time for SAAMI to step up, and not make us rely solely on magazines and the internet, which offer wildly differing data. It ain't 1908, and the .44 special needs to come of age.

I shall check out the new Handloader issue. My revolver likes 2400 and a Keith SWC, to performance almost identical to Skeeter's load (which unfortunately gives me some leading).

Yep. Scanned it last night.

by jerry b, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 09:31 (2454 days ago) @ Hoot

Category 1 are the low pressure loads in the original Pearce article from 2009(?). Is the new article basically a remake of that original publication?

Finally read the article.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 11:27 (2453 days ago) @ jerry b

It does explain Cats 1, 2 & 3 but I scanned right on by yesterday. I'd have to pull the previous article but it seems to be an expansion of that.

Finally read the article.

by jerry b, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 14:15 (2453 days ago) @ Hoot

I'm looking forward to seeing what he says about Cat 2 now after time has past and we have several nice new production revolvers.

I have a 45 Colt therefore I have no need for a 44 anything

by bmize, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 19:00 (2453 days ago) @ jerry b

lol

by jerry b, Thursday, January 04, 2018, 08:02 (2453 days ago) @ bmize

HA. That's where I am except this one .44 special.....I was lured in.

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Thursday, January 04, 2018, 10:26 (2453 days ago) @ bmize

I like the 45 Colt better than 44 Mag, but I do have an Andy Horvath 44 Special on an OM 357 frame that I do enjoy shooting.
[image]

Man if you put one of

by Robb Barnes, Thursday, January 04, 2018, 19:40 (2452 days ago) @ Cherokee

David Clements old model bisley spurred hammers on that Horvath gun you'd have close to my dream 44 Special!

Same here

by stonewalrus, Friday, January 05, 2018, 12:53 (2451 days ago) @ bmize

Bmp

RSS Feed of thread