On a black powder kick this past week

by ERSisk @, Sunday, December 24, 2017, 03:11 (2464 days ago)

Picked up a Blue 1982 Ruger Old Army. Shot a lot, cleaned a little, lots of corrosion inside and out. Completely disassembled, soaked a week in Varsol. Cleaned, sprayed with Balistol, reassembled, layed at the back of the bench in a rag for almost a year. Got an itch to try rolling some paper cartridges for my SS ROA's. Made up 12 35g fffg Goex + .457 round ball. Took the old blued gun to the range. Test fired off hand at 25 yards all 12 went BOOM, I do like the sound of an Old Army at the indoor range. Was surprised with a 6" group offhand. Rolled 24 more, back to range last night. First six from a rest, 2" wide by 1" high group. After all 24 a very ragged hole 3 1/4w by 2 1/4h. This from a bore with at best 60% visible rifling the rest patches of pitting corrosion. Cylinder face and chambers light pitting corrosion thru ought, does have a tight cylinder gap and good lock up. Going to check 50 yard group next trip to outdoor range. If it shoots anywhere inside 6" at 50 yards from a rest that's minute of hog and the old girl is going hunting. Ruined all my project gun ideas though. I may still CeraKote the cylinder OD Green.

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Sunday, December 24, 2017, 12:14 (2463 days ago) @ ERSisk

If you want some spare parts, let me know. Got some I'll never use. Nice to bring back an old gun from near death...

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Sunday, December 24, 2017, 15:08 (2463 days ago) @ Cherokee

What are the chances that Ruger has a barrel lying around collecting dust, maybe even GPC?

Barrel

by ERSisk @, Sunday, December 24, 2017, 20:21 (2463 days ago) @ RidinLou

Somewhere between Slim and None. I had considered honing the cylinder to .460 and putting a 12" stub from a .458 Win. Mag. on it. Considering it shoots almost as good as my 67 year old eyes can see, I think I will just chew a little more flavor out of it like it is.

by ERSisk @, Sunday, December 24, 2017, 20:14 (2463 days ago) @ Cherokee

Thank you for the offer. I will keep you in mind if something comes, but I I am good for right now.

RSS Feed of thread