Charter Arms

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 21:18 (2466 days ago)

Anyone have a stainless 3" Bulldog 44??? What can you tell me about them???

Charter Arms

by Ray L., Thursday, December 21, 2017, 22:28 (2466 days ago) @ Creeker

not a bare tapered 3" but the current 2.5" heavy shrouded one….they can be hit or miss in quality….

go easy on them handloading wise….

what ever color you paint the front sight put a thin, contrasting horizontal stripe to regulate the lower hitting 165, 180 and 200 gr. loads…..the 240 to 250 gr leaving at a little over 600 fps hit close to the sights

Charter Arms

by MR, Friday, December 22, 2017, 12:53 (2465 days ago) @ Creeker

Had one since the early 90's. Mine mostly used as a pack away in a trunk bag. Shoots good. Nothing wrong with it. I wouldn't shoot anything stronger than factory loads in it. It's typical Charter, just with big ol' holes.

Friend has had one for four years or so. Hope

by stonewalrus, Friday, December 22, 2017, 18:50 (2465 days ago) @ Creeker

Quality control has improved. Rifling was totally chewed up. Sent it back and they fixed it but now something else is wrong with cylinder (timing I think).

Charter Arms

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Friday, December 22, 2017, 21:29 (2465 days ago) @ Creeker

They have a 45 Colt snub coming out in 2018. I've usually got a 3# coffee can of reloads on hand for that.

I have the sightless ported Boomer...

by former hater of plastic, Friday, December 22, 2017, 21:40 (2465 days ago) @ Creeker

no issues at all, excellent bore, ports help in flip, but do not buy the compact wood grips and substitute. The factory rubber well designed, not as bulky as appears, and does its job, while the wood does not. If desiring a hideout rather than a hiking gun, it works best for me, hides about as easily as a G43, draws nearly as easy (top rear frame corner, cylinder rear slows things up a tad).

should mention load...

by former hater of plastic, Friday, December 22, 2017, 21:46 (2465 days ago) @ former hater of plastic

All I use is the cowboy stuff loaded to .44 Russian, which has gotta hurt. It is about the closest gun to a Fitz as anyone makes, needing only front of trigger guard cut away. And maybe $2000 worth of workmanship upgrades, but, works as-is just fine.

Charter Arms

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Saturday, December 23, 2017, 08:19 (2465 days ago) @ Creeker

I have a Pug, I had to send it back 3 times :-( , Had help from Jeff Quinn (of gun Blast) to get it fixed , He had the owner of Charter Arms call Me To say that they would make it right. Charter arms sent me a new one (to my house) well this pug works ok , you can`t shoot it fast ( double action) it will lock up, so it sit`s in the back of the safe. I like the older bulldogs, from what little I had a chance to shoot them they seemed to work well.:-D

A 45 Colt version would be more interesting to me

by stonewalrus, Saturday, December 23, 2017, 09:23 (2465 days ago) @ Sarge

Nmp

More Information

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Saturday, December 23, 2017, 20:12 (2464 days ago) @ Creeker

From what I understand the 3" Stainless Bulldog was produces 1985-86 & there's not a lot of them round. This one was traded to me for some reloading components. It came with the factory rubber grips & the boot grip. He also had 2 speedloaders & some ammo plus a new IWB holster.

The man is one of the top 3 shooter here bouts & can hold the 10 ring on a B27 target at 15 yards at Mach 4 with this. The little 5 shooter has a factory bobbed hammer & my friend smoothed the trigger face. Not sure what I'll do with it but for the time being I'll shoot it some.

[image]

[image]

[image]

Charter Arms more info

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Sunday, December 24, 2017, 14:49 (2463 days ago) @ Creeker
edited by RidinLou, Sunday, December 24, 2017, 15:04

Stonewalrus mentioned my issues in his earlier post. I can't find any of the posts I have made in different forums over the years about mine, but as I have said each of them, I have THROWN it in the back of the safe. To lazy to detail the issues including sending it back for a new barrel before I ever even shot it, but let's just say, I am underwhelmed with mine.

I have owned and shot 4 other Charter products over the years with satisfaction so I am not against Charters products

As an aside are their internals (especially the transfer bar) made of MIM or sintered material?

Anyway this is an interesting thread in another location, most interesting is post #9

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?350462-New-to-Me-Old-Charter-Arms-Bulldo...

Let me tell you about the Taurus 431 though.

It just KEEPS ON TICKING, but is too big/heavy for my original intended purpose. Dang I need to dig it out and send some lead downrange, it is a fun gun to shoot and I have all this brass oxidizing away. Guess I need to run a pot full of 200 grainers so I have all the pieces and parts needed.

I will have to say that anything made will produce one once in a while that is a lemon example of their product. One guy at the range had a Colt made 1911 that is was a perfect example, and surprisingly would not just replace it after 2 years of "ongoing repairs. He had possession of it less than half the time in those two years, the rest were spent with one of their authorized repair stations or at COLT.

you might compare the new rubber grips,

by former hater of plastic, Sunday, December 24, 2017, 17:13 (2463 days ago) @ Creeker

to what you have on hand. The new ones, for sure, are quite good, and quite cheap, direct from Charter. I think you have a honey of a revolvulator, there, and would call my Christmas done with that one. So, enjoy, and Christmas blessings to you.

I have an older blue Bulldog. I have shot it some, maybe

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, December 24, 2017, 21:07 (2463 days ago) @ Creeker

200 rounds. It seems to be as tight and as in as good a shape as when I got it. Most rounds were factory loaded with the Speer Gold Dot, Blazer or brass cases. My cast bullet loads are too much for this gun. I don't even use those in the 696 anymore, just in my Rugers and FA97.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Mark Cassill wrote up a piece a few years back.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 11:06 (2461 days ago) @ Creeker

Maybe it's wherever those articles are stored?

RSS Feed of thread