Looking for a Seyfried article on Damascus barrels...

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Monday, November 06, 2017, 19:17 (2511 days ago)

I have most of his articles for G&A but I can't find this one. I believe he references some of his 10 gauge S&S guns and also reloading for damascus guns. Anyone have that article? Thanks.

Found it...

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Monday, November 06, 2017, 21:46 (2511 days ago) @ Bryan

May 1990 G&A. However, if anyone has one called Rigby's Last Rooster, I would love to have that. It's a story about the last pheasant shot over Ross's old bird dog and the gun he choose for that hunt. Awesome story.

Looking for a Seyfried article on Damascus barrels...

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Thursday, November 09, 2017, 13:59 (2509 days ago) @ Bryan

Bryan:

If you are interested in shooting shotguns with Damascus barrels and loading information for same, check out the Doublegun.com BBS. There are a lot of Damascus shooters over there (including me). They are very helpful and there's a lot of low pressure loading data available.

Rem

Thanks for the reply...

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Thursday, November 09, 2017, 20:37 (2508 days ago) @ Remington40x

that's a great forum and I haven't been active on it in a long time. Thanks for the reminder.

I don't have a Damascus double yet but it's been on my short list for too long. I love reading about them and would like to find the right 10 gauge or 12 gauge that I could also do Briley sub gauge inserts with.

What do you have that's Damascus?

Thanks for the reply...

by Remimgton40x @, SE PA, Saturday, November 11, 2017, 17:56 (2506 days ago) @ Bryan

Thomas Turner box lock ejector 12 gauge and an Alfred Hollis 10 gauge hammer gun. The Turner is a late 1890s gun and the Hollis dates to he 1880s.

I shoot the Turner regularly but don't get as much use of the Hollis as ammo is expensive. I load for the Turner but shoot RSTs in the Hollis.

Nice. I would love to hear more about your 10 gauge...

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, November 11, 2017, 18:16 (2506 days ago) @ Remimgton40x

any photos? Feel free to email me offline if preferred. I've been idly looking at 10 gauge damascus guns for a few years but would like to get more serious. Would love to hear your thoughts on it as I'm guessing you did a lot of research.

Nice. I would love to hear more about your 10 gauge...

by Remimgton40x @, SE PA, Sunday, November 12, 2017, 18:54 (2505 days ago) @ Bryan

Bryan:

Oddly enough, I found the Hollis hanging on the wall of a local gun shop that doesn't really deal in doubles. I have bought enough guns from them that they let me buy it subject to an inspection by a qualified gunsmith. We had on in the area (he has since moved to the Midwest to take over his parents' farm) and he gave it a clean bill of health. It has cylinder and full chokes, too much drop, and weighs 8-1/4 pounds. Very muzzle heavy, so keeping it moving is no problem. Barrel wall thicknesses are probably in the 40s or 50s. 2-7/8 inch chambers, original. Beautiful brown finish on the barrels.

If you send me an email address I will take some photos and forward them to you.

Rem

RSS Feed of thread