Gone over to the dark side

by Catoosa, Monday, November 06, 2017, 10:25 (2512 days ago)

Well fellows, after much debate with myself, I have bought a black plastic auto pistol. It don't have a hammer and I can't figure out how to put fancy grips on it to make it look better. At least I didn't trade a .38 revolver for it.

We spent several days over in the mountains last week, and one of my usual stops is Smoky Mountain Knife Works in Sevierville. They are not usually so great on their pricing, but they were selling S&W Shields for $299, Less than I have ever seen them for before. There was a line at the counter. I gave in and bought a 9mm. Dunno whether I will end up liking it or not, but I'm gonna give it a try. Range report when I get around to shooting it.

Good little pistols, much like a Commander

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, November 06, 2017, 12:03 (2512 days ago) @ Catoosa

in it's role.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I formerly loved only blue steel

by former hater of plastic, Monday, November 06, 2017, 12:13 (2512 days ago) @ Catoosa

but getting too old to spend what remains of life caring for guns going mostly to strangers, so, bought a G36 .45ACP. It was too fat.

Bought more recently the G43 and consider it mex carry perfection. No rough spots, fish scale, lumps or bumps, and holds 8rds of latest/greatest 9mm premium defense loads, or, Winchester White Box 115grJHP, which works just as well out of the short barrel, and half the price. Check out on-line tests if you do not believe.

Put 5 of 7rds dead centered on target at 25yds inside 2" with fliers 4" out at 10 and 8 o'clock, reasonably "smooth" heavy, predictable trigger. Ditched the extension grip for carry as never noticed the difference when shooting.

Even installed the OEM front night sight.

And biggest thing, I do not need remember to wipe it down every time I touch it. A charm shared by the Smith.

danged typo. SEVEN rounds. nt

by same-o, Monday, November 06, 2017, 12:15 (2512 days ago) @ former hater of plastic

nt

"...G43 and consider it mex carry perfection." How so many

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, November 08, 2017, 20:34 (2509 days ago) @ former hater of plastic

people ND with a striker fired pistol...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by Catoosa, Thursday, November 09, 2017, 10:17 (2509 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

The primary reason I chose the Shield is that it is available with a frame-mounted thumb safety. Having cut my teeth on a 1911 I do not and will not carry a striker fired gun without one.

Mas Ayoob has an article in this month's American Handgunner detailing a ND incident in New York that resulted in the death of an innocent man and the ruin of an officer's career. That one involved a Glock. We had a similar incident here a few years ago, again resulting in the death of a man who didn't need to be shot, and career-ending consequences for the two officers involved. That one too cost the city megabucks.

I fully understand why the high-speed military guys mostly prefer Glocks, but it seems to me that they operate in a much higher threat environment than us lowly civilians. Speed is life to those guys. I don't do stuff like that. No offense meant to the Glock fans here, but they ain't for me.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Saturday, November 18, 2017, 09:29 (2500 days ago) @ Catoosa

I, too, have a Shield with the safety. I carry it with the safety off though. I pocket carry it the majority of the time in a kydex holster I made myself. It covers the trigger completely and little else. It holds the pistol in the same place all the time and comes off easy when drawing. Unlike leather it won’t get soft and have the chance of pushing in the trigger. T also doesn’t absorb sweat and hold salts like leather will. I love traditional leather holsters but modern, kydex does have advantages in certain instances.

[image]

I also made a similar one for my Glock. It I don’t really carry it much.

[image]

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Probably because they hook the trigger on things...

by former hater of plastic, Sunday, November 12, 2017, 23:14 (2505 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I have some things below abdomen and belt line, but nothing that would depress a Glock trigger. NDs are most caused by holster straps, snaps, and fingers not out of trigger guards on striker fired pistols.

I'm no fan of Kydex at all, but with a Glock...

by rob @, Friday, November 24, 2017, 19:25 (2493 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

For Mexican carry, the little MIC clips (minimalist inside carry) are awesome. Uses a lanyard that goes around belt or belt loop and the clip covers the trigger guard. They work very well and they are cheap enough to buy two and when one cracks, you just buy two more. I think they make them for the little Glocks and Shields and XD's as well. Definitely not as nice as a SR Cuda though.

Gone over to the dark side

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Monday, November 06, 2017, 23:14 (2511 days ago) @ Catoosa

My wife and I were in Sevierville two Monday’s ago, the day it was storming so bad.

We went to the Bud’s Gunshop location there, and tried to go to SMKW but it was an absolute zoo, couldn’t even get in the parking lot. Keep in mind it was raining cats and dogs. We decided to forget it. I couldn’t believe it was so crowded, on a stormy Monday.

The tool store across the road was pretty nice. And my wife hit all the ladies shops along there.

RSS Feed of thread