Converting Super Blackhawk square Dragoon gf to XR3-R...

by rob @, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 20:17 (2522 days ago)
edited by rob, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 20:21

If any of you have done this, any pointers like best place to locate aluminum grip frame, etc? I have swapped frames in the past, just never gone from SBH long frame to standard. Jim Wilson has a 7.5" OM done this way and that's sorta what I'm looking for. BTW, mine is fairly recent NM with laminated grips if that makes a difference. Thanks,

Rob

It should bolt right up ..

by Robb BArnes, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 20:50 (2522 days ago) @ rob

but if you keep the SBH trigger which is wide, you will have to open up the trigger opening on the XR3-RED grip frame or swap for a narrow width trigger.

Good point on the trigger!

by rob @, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 21:01 (2522 days ago) @ Robb BArnes

Thanks Robb.

Brownells has this New Vaquero grip frame that...

by rob @, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 21:06 (2522 days ago) @ rob

is supposedly satin stainless according to the comment from Brownells customer service. That should be the old XR3 OM shape and might even be better. I'm seriously thinking about this...and I guess I need to order a Blackhawk or Vaquero trigger and some stainless screws.
https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/frame-parts/frames/grip-frame-prod44164.aspx

On second thought...

by rob @, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 21:24 (2522 days ago) @ rob

It might be easer to take a file and some emory cloth to the trigger opening than finding a trigger. That grip frame is out of stock but I think I'm gonna back order it or see if they'll notify me.

On third thought....

by rob @, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 21:37 (2522 days ago) @ rob

That NV grip frame is a no go unless I order all the spring/lock hardware. Maybe I should just sell it and buy a Bisley. It will probably be cheaper in the long run unless I can find a good aluminum XR3-R pre-lock grip frame like I originally planned. It doesn't look like they are available new...at least not from Brownlells.

I converted a Standard New Model Blackhawk in 45 to Bisley

by stonewalrus, Friday, October 27, 2017, 07:55 (2522 days ago) @ rob

Got real involved - also trigger and hammer and before it was all over the pawl and transfer bar. I won’t do it again! Also had to buy a little clamp to hold the leaf type spring that involved the trigger, bolt stop and loading gate. Getting that loading gate in right is a MAJOR pain.

The clamp makes it SO much easier! The first couple of time

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Friday, October 27, 2017, 09:32 (2522 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I did it without the clamp but now I have one.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I could never get it right by myself without the clamp

by stonewalrus, Friday, October 27, 2017, 16:59 (2521 days ago) @ Hobie

That loading gate/ spring is a killer. Put in wrong, the loading gate won’t open or you have a trigger pull that takes Hercules to pull. Don’t ask me how I know...

I could never get it right by myself without the clamp

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Saturday, October 28, 2017, 12:50 (2521 days ago) @ stonewalrus

So the loading gate spring was the issue all along?

Guess I had better go dig up a drawing and see how those parts interrelate.

Yes that is a multi purpose spring. There is a little rattle

by stonewalrus, Saturday, October 28, 2017, 15:47 (2520 days ago) @ RidinLou

/wiggle in the loading gate but it functions perfectly and I am NOT taking it apart again.

I probably have the parts you need email me

by ERSisk @, Friday, October 27, 2017, 12:00 (2522 days ago) @ rob

ersskatattdotnet

I have an XR3 R al grip frame, not new but very good

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Friday, October 27, 2017, 15:14 (2522 days ago) @ rob

email if interested (envelope next to my name)

Envelope doesn't sshow up so

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Friday, October 27, 2017, 15:15 (2522 days ago) @ Cherokee

dstone005 @ neo rr com

I have an XR3 R al grip frame, not new but very good

by rob @, Friday, October 27, 2017, 21:06 (2521 days ago) @ Cherokee

Tried emailing you and it bounced. I may not have gotten it right. You can catch me at six-gun452 at yahoo dot com. Take out the hyphen, spaces and replace at and dot...you know the drill:)

RSS Feed of thread