Decided to go with the Rossi 92 44 Mag....

by rob @, Friday, October 20, 2017, 22:20 (2528 days ago)

Still want a Miroku 94...maybe get one in 30-30 in the future. So, it's ordered and paid for and I'm just waiting for it to be shipped to my LGS. I am hit and miss on peep and ghost ring sights. I don't do well with them on AR-15s but I have a set of XS sights on a 10/22 that work great! I have done fairly well (but not awesome) with XS sights on a 357 Marlin and had a set on a 45-70 Ruger #1 that I couldn't shoot worth a hoot. I'd like to try the Skinner sight on this rifle but if I don't shoot it well I'll just leave the safety hole empty use the factory sights...but I definitely think I want to give it a try. And, I have no idea what the twist rate is but I'm hoping it's a 1:20" rather than the 1:38" like a Marlin. I have a lot of 300 grain XTP's I'd like to shoot in it. I should be able to shoot it by next Saturday:)

by jgt, Saturday, October 21, 2017, 10:01 (2528 days ago) @ rob

Well there is good news and there is bad news; if you can believe the spec sheets posted by the manufacturers. That Japchester 92 has a 1/26 twist. The Rossi 92 doesn't have a 1/38, but does have a 1/32. The Japchester MSRP is $1090. As for sights, if peep sights don't work well for you, you might take a look at Ranger Precision Point sights. They are in the same approximate price range and are different from others I have seen. Good luck. I have owned a couple of older Rossi 44 magnums and they shot well with my loads.

by rob @, Saturday, October 21, 2017, 10:20 (2528 days ago) @ jgt

I had a Rossi Puma 44 decades ago (late '80s or early '90s) when they were pretty new on the market...best I remember. It was a pretty good rifle. I mainly shoot 240/250 grain loads so if it doesn't do well with the 300's it's not a huge deal. I've had Marlins that actually did pretty good with the 300's so there is some hope. I'll check out those sights.

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Saturday, October 21, 2017, 16:46 (2528 days ago) @ rob

Rossis are a 'luck of the draw' purchase. I just went through the same process with 45 Colt lever actions as you did with your 44 Mag. After much inquiry, reading and looking at current examples, I arrived at the same decision you did and ended up with a new TauRossi 45 Colt with a 20" barrel, made in March 2016 according to the importer. I was fortunate that my FFL and old friend let me look through what he had on hand. The one I chose is real good.

The lever cycled smoothly, the sights were on good & square and there were no outward signs of shoddy workmanship or assembly. This one has a little more grain showing than my earlier 92's and there is even sort of a finish on it, as opposed to the stain-painted 92 stocks I've had in the past. The wood to metal fit is better than most that have been through my hands.

Oddly, this rifle has a longer stock than either of my previous 92's. Slick buttplate aside, it shoulders like a rifle ought to. The trigger is better than any new 92 I've handled.

[image]

Quick as chores were done, the Missus and I took it down and ran a few rounds through it. The sights were on from the factory and it fed the Lee 255 RF, the Missouri Bullet 255 SWCs and Sierra 240 JHPs all just fine. It shot well too. We started at 25 yards, moved to 50 yards and ended firing a few shots at 100. I never missed the 14” plate and was pleased to discover this menagerie of ammo landed in an egg shaped group maybe 4x6 inches, from the center of the plate to its lower edge. I gotta say, this 20” gun is easier to hit with than my 16” 45 Colt was. I seem to have finally gotten an excellent Rossi 92.

I've been meaning to check this 92's accuracy but buckhorn sights and I don't get along for fine shooting. I shoot much better with a flat top rear sight and I happened to have a spare in the parts bin. I also replaced the front bead with a 0.400 tall take-off from a previous 16” Rossi 357, because I figured it'd work better with the lower replacement rear sight. I drifted both sights into what looked to be the center of the barrel and headed down in the field to check zero.

My standard 45 Colt load is a 8.5 grains of Universal and Maplewood's Lee 452-255-RF sized 0.454”. It pretty much duplicates the ballistics of the original 40 grain black-powder government load and it's been exceptionally accurate in every 45 Colt I've tried it it. My guesswork sight placement was perfect this time so I moved back to 100 yards, took a rest and fired three careful shots at the rifle plate. I heard it ring steel every time and I didn't see any hits out in the white, so I knew they all had to be in the 6” black dot. What I didn't expect was that they overlapped each other. It might not be a long range rig, but I can't complain about the way it shoots.

[image]

For clarifications sake- I'm not pretending for a minute I can reproduce that group on demand, but it's sure nice when the stars line up. It also tells me the rifle has plenty of accuracy for anything I'll need to do with a pistol-caliber lever action.

Rob I hope yours is this good.

I hope mine shoots that we'll also!

by rob @, Sunday, October 22, 2017, 08:45 (2527 days ago) @ Sarge

And that my sights work out:)

I picked mine up this afternoon and....

by rob @, Friday, October 27, 2017, 16:27 (2522 days ago) @ Sarge

The fit and finish look good, the wood ain't half bad, it cycles really smooth and the trigger is way better than my expectation. If it shoots as good as it looks and feels, it will definitely be a keeper.

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Friday, October 27, 2017, 20:07 (2521 days ago) @ rob

Great news and I'll bet it will shoot just fine. Please give us a range report when you can.

by rob @, Friday, October 27, 2017, 23:58 (2521 days ago) @ Sarge

Range report is certain to follow. Might get to shoot it tomorrow depending on how many matches are going on at the club.

Love my 357 but had to go with different sights - shot way

by stonewalrus, Saturday, October 21, 2017, 19:08 (2527 days ago) @ rob

Low. I think the ones I used are STeve’s Gunz. I think they put the exact same sights on all rifles regardless of caliber.

Rossi did put the same sights on all guns of all calibers

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, October 21, 2017, 20:18 (2527 days ago) @ stonewalrus

but I don't know if the new management does as well. The dovetails are not necessarily U.S. standard dimensions so some care is required in that regard.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Rossi did put the same sights on all guns of all calibers

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Saturday, October 21, 2017, 21:56 (2527 days ago) @ Hobie

Rossi sight dovetails have varied over the years. My 2008 45 Colt had the big .386+ cuts, but the 2016 45 took standard 3/8 sights front and rear with only a dimple or two raised in each slot.

Good info!

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, October 24, 2017, 19:43 (2524 days ago) @ Sarge

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I don't know a LOT about the Rossi 92...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Wednesday, October 25, 2017, 19:49 (2523 days ago) @ Hobie

But everything I do know I learned the hard way, and am unlikely to forget it ;)

I don't know a LOT about the Rossi 92...

by rob @, Thursday, October 26, 2017, 22:16 (2522 days ago) @ Sarge

I hope mine doesn't try to teach me anything:) I should have it by tomorrow...hopefully!

i just picked up a miroku 1894 short rifle in an auction-

by cable, Sunday, October 22, 2017, 13:29 (2527 days ago) @ rob
edited by cable, Sunday, October 22, 2017, 15:01

it was poorly described and i got it cheap, $450.00 !!at that price i decided i couldn't go wrong and wanted to see if they are as slick and accurate as described ; its on its way to me now. it has fancy wood and receiver and is in 30/30

i have the miroku browning 1886 from the 1980s and it is superb as were the 1895 30/06's i had back then

will be fun to see how well this one works ; the tang safety only bothers me to the extent that i can't mount a tang sight. in fact, a lot of the young folks i shoot with are safer using the tang safety since it is so familiar to them

i just picked up a miroku 1894 short rifle in an auction-

by rob @, Sunday, October 22, 2017, 23:04 (2526 days ago) @ cable

That's an awesome price! The 94 45 Colt I handled was really slick with a good trigger.

RSS Feed of thread