S&W model K trigger shoe question

by Scribe, Monday, October 09, 2017, 07:13 (2540 days ago)

Folks:

As I have written before, I am buying a K-38 Target Masterpiece. I made the final payment Saturday morning, and just for the heck of it, asked if they had a trigger shoe for it (to complete that old school look and make the pull seem even lighter).

Well, it took them 20 minutes to find the only one they had in the store. Seems like nobody needs them any more in the polymer pistol age. It appeared to fit, but they did not have a small enough hex wrench to tighten it. The screws seemed microscopic.

They ended up giving it to me for free, but I still need a way to tighten it to the trigger. Anybody know what size hex wrench I need?

Scribe (who is still waiting for his permit)

by uncowboy, Monday, October 09, 2017, 10:21 (2540 days ago) @ Scribe

It is the same size for adj trigger stops. it is micro and hard to find. The shoe might need minor hand fitting this is common.

by Catoosa, Monday, October 09, 2017, 10:35 (2540 days ago) @ Scribe

It's a little bitty sucker - like maybe 1/64, not over 1/32. Most good quality hex sets will have sizes down to 1/64 (and believe me you don't want to waste yer money on a cheap hex wrench set).

I only have one trigger shoe. It came on an old bedraggled K38 Masterpiece I bought years ago. I didn't like it on the K38 and took it off. Eventually put it on my sporterated Japanese Arisaka and it was a BIG improvement over the military trigger.

Be real careful if you carry that K38 in a holster. The trigger shoe is as wide as the trigger guard and the edge of it can catch when holstering the gun. Causes a sudden loud noise and all sorts of other problems......

Swivel holster

by Scribe, Tuesday, October 10, 2017, 07:43 (2539 days ago) @ Catoosa

Catoosa:

I do have a swivel holster that matches up nicely with the K-38; found it in an old holster box, the type that nearly every gun store has. Decent condition. With it and the handgun, I could join the cast of Adam-12.

HOWEVER, I will not be carrying the gun in the holster as the ranges I frequent prohibit carrying guns in holsters. I am aware of danger of accidentally firing the gun because of the width of the trigger shoe.

This gun will be fired single action about 99% of the time and I think the trigger shoe is a great accessory for it.

Scribe

Swivel holster

by Catoosa, Tuesday, October 10, 2017, 09:34 (2539 days ago) @ Scribe

Sight unseen, I will predict that the bullets from that gun will be very good friends and will tend to scrooch up real close together when you shoot them. Those durned old guns were not called Masterpieces for no reason. The one I have looked like hammered hell when I got it, but the first cylinder full of Federal wadcutters made a nice ragged hole at 15 yards.

RSS Feed of thread