If you were gonna buy a new 44 Magnum carbine today....

by rob @, Monday, October 02, 2017, 10:43 (2547 days ago)

What would you buy? I handled a Winchester 94 Saddle Ring Carbine (Moroku version) a couple days ago and it was extremely nice. Perfect fit and finish. It was a 45 Colt but I want a 44. I'm debating on the Miroku 94 or 92 or maybe just a Rossi. I'd consider a Marlin if the quality was the same as the pre-Remington versions, but I'm really sorta wanting a Winchester 92 or 94 or a Rossi. I am so impressed by the fit and finish and wood on the Miroku Winchesters I think it's probably worth spending a grand on the rifle. I may consider the Rossi though. Anyhow what say y'all?

i have several different ones: rossi, marlin , uberti and

by cable, Monday, October 02, 2017, 11:35 (2547 days ago) @ rob

ruger model 96, and have had others. I suspect the miroku/ Winchester might be the best overall. the rossi is very strong and reliable. the marlin [ pre Remington ] is very smooth, very accurate and will feed most ammo reliably. the ruger 96 is very finicky about which ammo it will feed. for looks and smoothness the uberti 73 is actually my favorite...I have it set up with a tang sight; it works well with most any standard factory loadsand is really accurate.
I have a custom made takedown trapper, made from an original model 92 Winchester- that is really smooth and accurate though it doesn't feed every type of ammo.

the marlin is so slick and accurate, that I would have to say you cant go wrong with it, as long as you look around and get an older one.....cant say about the newer ones.

by rob @, Monday, October 02, 2017, 12:23 (2547 days ago) @ cable

I've had pre and post cross-bolt safety Winchester 94's and found them good but just can't stand the crater in the cross-bolt gun. I've had a slew of pre-Remington Marlins and like them very much but I'm really leaning toward the traditional Winchester 94 or 92. I thought I would hate the safety on the Moroku models but looking at it in person, it's really subdued and doesn't stand out. If it must have one, that is at least the best way in my opinion unless someone wants to mount a tang sight and I don't care for tang sights. I guess I just need to decide if the extra beauty of the Moroku versions is worth double the price of a Rossi. I am leaning that way though because I don't intend to ever get rid of it once I buy it.

MIROKUS ARE NOT AS GOOD AS WINCHESTER, THEY

by SIXGUNNER, Monday, October 02, 2017, 14:04 (2546 days ago) @ rob

ARE BETTER

Dittos. I'd get one of the Browning 1892s

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, October 02, 2017, 15:48 (2546 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

NOT the Centennial, a Winchester if you can stand the tang safety and rebounding hammer (I can't) then the pre-safety Marlin 94, then the post-safety Marlin (both before the buyout by Remington), then an older pre-bolt safety Rossi.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Handling the 45 Colt version the other day,

by rob @, Monday, October 02, 2017, 16:10 (2546 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

I'm very inclined to agree. It was slick as glass and beautifully fitted and finished.

AMEN!

by cubrock, Thursday, October 05, 2017, 16:37 (2543 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

and amen again!

If you go with the Rossi, Skinner makes a peep sight that

by stonewalrus, Monday, October 02, 2017, 17:46 (2546 days ago) @ rob

Replaces the safety (screws out). I love my 357 Rossi 92 but then I have only run a few hundred rounds through it. It is still Is still a mite stiff.

If you go with the Rossi, Skinner makes a peep sight that

by rob @, Saturday, October 21, 2017, 12:08 (2528 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Are you sure Skinner still makes this sight? I don't see it listed on their web site but I'd really like to try one.

I'LL SECOND EVERYTHING CABLE HAS SAID. I

by SIXGUNNER, Monday, October 02, 2017, 14:02 (2546 days ago) @ cable

TOO LIKE THE UBERTI '73 BUT WALK CAREFULLY WITH IT--NO HEAVY LOADS. I HAV ESHOT ROSSIs, MARLINs, WINCHESTERS, BROWNINGS OVER THE PAST 35+ YEARS--ALL GOOD. LOOK FOR A GOOD USED MARLIN. MINE HAS BEEN IN SERVICE FOR OVER 50 YEARS.

by David @, Monday, October 02, 2017, 15:02 (2546 days ago) @ cable

Are you saying that Remington actually change the production line?

As well as how the ... do you register here.

Remington Marlins

by CJM, Tuesday, October 03, 2017, 20:31 (2545 days ago) @ David

Rumour is that after Remington announced the closing of the original Marlin factory and moving the production line to a Remington factory that the Marlin employees being laid off sabotaged the jigs and machinery as they packed them up. Whatever happened; when Remington started making the 1894's again in the new factory the sights didn't end up on the top of the barrel, but twisted over to the side. The in-experienced QA labor let the rifles ship out like that instead of keeping them in the factory. Remington ended up halting production while they reverse engineered the design into their CAD-CAM system and are only now getting the rifles into production again. So far only 44 Magnums, I'm waiting for a CSS model, stainless steel in 357 Magnum, and hoping that Remington fixed the "Marlin Jam" problem with the lifter.

Saw off center sight long before the buyout.

by cas, Tuesday, October 03, 2017, 21:15 (2545 days ago) @ CJM

I think the tooling was old and the QC lacking for some time prior to Remington ruining things.

Remington Marlins-RUMORS

by SIXGUNNER, Wednesday, October 04, 2017, 14:29 (2544 days ago) @ CJM

ARE A DIME A DOZEN AND WORTH ABOUT THE SAME.

I walked past a pre-safety Marlin at a show on Sat.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Monday, October 02, 2017, 14:05 (2546 days ago) @ rob

Priced at $500 in pretty good condition. The deals are out there.

I'd pay that for a pre-safety in good shape!

by rob @, Monday, October 02, 2017, 16:12 (2546 days ago) @ Andrew

Yes, I would:)

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Monday, October 02, 2017, 22:23 (2546 days ago) @ rob

I've had several 44 carbines myself. For looking at, my Browning 92 wins, for shooting, the Rossi 92.

Ive owned several Marlin 44s, I guess I'm just unlucky, I never could get one of them to shoot very well. I'd take Marlins in 357, 44, 30-30, and 45-70 to the range and the 44s would invariably shoot lousy groups while all the rest did pretty well. I wish I could figure out the secret, the last I had ( a stainless 1894) went down the road a few years ago.

I have Browning 92s in 357 and 44. Again the357 shoots pretty well while the 44 shoots groups 2-3x bigger. I've messed with this one quite a bit, and am not going to sell it. I've decided the slow twist barrel, with an oversized Bore is the culprit. It might get rebarreled soon.

And finally I have a pair of Rossi trappers, stainless in 357 and 44. They both shoot nice little groups with iron sights at 50 yards, about as far as my 57 year old eyes work without optics. The Rossi 44 with iron sights would outshoot that stainless Marlin with a 4x scope.

I've also had a model 94 in 45 Colt, but much prefer the 92 for a handgun cartridge.

I would like to try a Chiappa, they sure are purdy.

by Ken O'Neill @, Tuesday, October 03, 2017, 06:39 (2546 days ago) @ Warhawk

Miroku 92!

I think that's exactly what I'm gonna do...

by rob @, Tuesday, October 03, 2017, 06:58 (2546 days ago) @ Ken O'Neill

I need to save a bit more to get there but I think it will be well worth the added cost.

I have no idea about the new ones....

by Bri A, Wednesday, October 04, 2017, 09:48 (2545 days ago) @ rob

Have picked up several pre-safety 44 magnum carbines over the years, Winchester 94s, Rossi's and Marlin 1894s. Of them, the Marlins were the most reliable without some tuning, the Rossi's were the most accurate with lead bullets, and the most versatile regarding bullet weights, the Win 94s were the best finished and shot fine once you found a load they liked. Have never owned a Browning or Winchester branded Miroku model 92, but they sure do look nice and have heard great things about them.

Pre-Remington Marlin or Miroku/Browning/Winchester

by cubrock, Thursday, October 05, 2017, 16:39 (2543 days ago) @ rob

Depends on how traditional you want to be. If you want to scope it, Marlin all the way. If you don't, then it is hard to ignore the various Miroku iterations.

I have an 80s Browning/Miroku already. I wound up winning a more recent Winchester/Miroku (with tang safety) at an auction recently. Hopefully I'll have it in hand next week and can give some thoughts shortly thereafter.

RSS Feed of thread