Too close to home - shooting at church in Antioch/Nashville

by stonewalrus, Sunday, September 24, 2017, 17:11 (2555 days ago)

Shooting at a church in Nashville. Guy murdered a lady in the parking lot and walked in and started shooting. Several others shot. One church member confronted him. Bad guy pistol whipped him and good guy ran to his car for his gun (CARRY permit, not CAR permit). Good guy entered with gun and bad guy shot bimself. I was on church security at my. Hutch this morning. Had an elder ask if I was on security and when I told him yes, he said I am probably not supposed to ask but are you packing? I nodded yes and both he and his wife said GOOD! Kind of creepy to be asked that before the shooting went down elsewhere in Nashville. Hope it is a wake up call for my church to beef up security.

More and more churches in the US

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, September 24, 2017, 17:59 (2554 days ago) @ stonewalrus

are using trained and armed security.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Too close to home - shooting at church in Antioch/Nashville

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Sunday, September 24, 2017, 18:07 (2554 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Armed security team in my church.

Refugee from Sudan shooter - they won't call it terrorism

by stonewalrus, Sunday, September 24, 2017, 18:27 (2554 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Of course. Sounds like it was random. My church started getting serious about security and then dropped the ball. Hope this is a serious wake up call.

Secure those doors…..

by Ray L., Monday, September 25, 2017, 00:27 (2554 days ago) @ stonewalrus

before - during - and after services…..this is the very least we can do….though we know many of these incidents start in the parking area or on the street/sidewalk in urban churches….

Little Churches seem to have have more doors than any other building in the same size category because of wings added over the years (decades)…..big Churches, often in urban areas of rapidly changing demographics often have dozens and even scores of doors but due to history of crime most are secured during the week but due to osha and state zoning laws they can be opened by anyone on the inside….

I debated round and round with our church security until i was blue in the face…..watch those doors, everyone of them all of the time…..they fired me from the security team….i can take-up offering and greet incoming folks but i am never chosen for security….they all have their ruger LCPs and think that they are all delf bryces or jim cirillos or something….

once while on security detail I watched the creepiest looking guy i had ever seen exit the sanctuary like he was going to the men's room….a little voice told me to follow….he passed the normally used facilities and wandered toward the children's wing and i confronted him and asked his business….the confrontation escalated but i stood my ground even though the guy looked seven foot tall and four foot wide with six foot long arms and prevailed and the man left in a huff….completely left the campus…..well you know what happened to me…..he was blue blooded sister so in so's brother and the pastor's first cousin…..i was fired from the team…..oh ! by the way, despite his pedigree, the creep just happens to be on the pervert offender registry…..

then there was the guy with the rainbow mohawk wearing goth leather gear and frankenstein boots and a plaid kilt…..no longer deputized as a team member i still ran him off in a most unchristian-like manner….he/she/it was just going to come in, bold as brass, pushing his bicycle with 3 dogs following…..

now finally they lock and or watch all of the doors…..

We do have automatic locking doors now to limit entry points

by stonewalrus, Monday, September 25, 2017, 05:18 (2554 days ago) @ Ray L.

They are locked during church services except for two main entrance doors. There is no real plan though and no training. Packing has been don't ask don't tell as far as I can tell. Trust me, I carry something larger than an LCP even when it isn't my turn for duty....

FROM 1958 TO 2012 I

by SIXGUNNER, Monday, September 25, 2017, 09:12 (2554 days ago) @ stonewalrus

SAT IN THE FRON ROW. NOW I AM IN THE BACK OF THE BACK ROW WHERE I CAN SEE EVERYTHING INCLUDING WHO COMES IN. I WILL PROBABLY SOON MOVE TO THE BALCONY

FROM 1958 TO 2012 I

by Big Six, Monday, September 25, 2017, 12:04 (2554 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

We are not in Kansas anymore Toto.

That comes to mind regarding many things when I think of years past.

Years ago... I went to Memphis carrying nothing more than an S&W 649 and one reload.

Never again.

Exactly where I sit and the back pew is against the wall

by stonewalrus, Monday, September 25, 2017, 12:07 (2554 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

Nm

Exactly where I sit and the back pew is against the wall

by Big Six, Monday, September 25, 2017, 12:37 (2554 days ago) @ stonewalrus

....and hopefully.... the wall is a masonry wall.

Brick!

by stonewalrus, Monday, September 25, 2017, 17:04 (2554 days ago) @ Big Six

Nm

Had it happen here in my hometown in 1988.

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Monday, September 25, 2017, 17:46 (2553 days ago) @ stonewalrus

A jilted Chinese college student burst into his ex's church spraying a Beretta 92 with a couple of Redhawks in a pack. Killed one and wounded 4, including a good friend of mine. This was long before KS had concealed carry. One member of the congregation saw the slide lock back and chased the shooter out of the church, knocking him down with a hymnal to the back of the head.

The SOB is still in prison. Appellate case is here http://law.justia.com/cases/kansas/supreme-court/1992/65-076-3.html

Had it happen here in my hometown in 1988.

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 23:43 (2552 days ago) @ Wildcat

I don't remember that one, even though I lived in Kansas back then. Then I read the date in the article, I was in Germany when this happened, fixing F-15 fighters for Uncle Sam.

I remember thinking about how easy it would be to shoot up a church, way back when I was a teenager. I asked my dad why we didn't carry guns, but as you mentioned it was many years later before Kansas allowed concealed carry.

For me the even more disturbing trend is that a white kid shoots IPA black church and its 24/7 news for weeks. This time a black Muslim shoots Up a white church , crickets.

RSS Feed of thread