This Day in 1972

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Friday, August 11, 2017, 14:38 (2599 days ago)

The last U.S. ground combat unit in South Vietnam, the Third Battalion, Twenty-First Infantry, departs for the United States. The unit had been guarding the U.S. air base at Da Nang.

Anyone serve in this unity?

This Day in 1972

by uncowboy, Friday, August 11, 2017, 15:12 (2599 days ago) @ Creeker

I was 9 and just started shooting trap.

This Day in 1972

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Friday, August 11, 2017, 20:41 (2598 days ago) @ uncowboy

I was hauling gasoline & handling 55 gallon drums by the hundreds in 72.

This Day in 1972...was home from CO after my first year in..

by Caz, Saturday, August 12, 2017, 10:51 (2598 days ago) @ Creeker

...school and fixin' to git hitched in a few weeks.

This Day in 1972-I was at Ft. Lewis

by bob, Saturday, August 12, 2017, 18:17 (2597 days ago) @ Creeker

OIC of the post museum having been declared surplus to the needs of the 'peace time' Army. Departed my MACV Team in January of '72 and had the museum job while looking for civilian employment; the day I went to sign out I was told "You are now on 24 hour standby for a return to RVN. Keep your duffel packed and get your shots up to date!". Gotta love the big green machine and I ain't talkin' John Deere!

This Day in 1972

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Saturday, August 12, 2017, 20:19 (2597 days ago) @ Creeker

Always wondered what it felt like as the number of US forces one could depend on for backup dwindled and what the last of the last felt.
Same for those ARVNs that were left.

Kinda defines "ALONE"

I was 8 and heard that my 15 yrs older brother who had

by Ray @, Saturday, August 12, 2017, 23:10 (2597 days ago) @ Creeker

recently returned from Viet Nam with no physical wounds got shot in his shoulder by some neighborhood punks with a 22.

22, E4, 12B30

by ERSisk @, Monday, August 14, 2017, 08:13 (2596 days ago) @ Creeker

Which is as follows:

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Monday, August 14, 2017, 09:08 (2596 days ago) @ ERSisk

MOSC 12B3O. Performs duties in preceding skill levels, supervises lower grade Soldiers and provides technical guidance to the Soldiers in the accomplishment of their duties. Supervise squad and section personnel. Direct utilization and maintenance of vehicles and equipment. Supervise the employment of unit and job site security. Prepares and issues an oral squad operation order. Conduct the maneuver of a squad in a patrol. Directs minefield installation, removal, and submits minefield reports. Supervise breaching operations. Collects data and calculates the requirement for explosives and related material. Direct construction of combat bunkers, shelters and non-explosive anti-vehicular obstacles. Conducts ground reconnaissance for roads, routes, bridges, tunnels, fords, rivers and ferries. Prepare a demolition and reconnaissance report. Directs assembly of military fixed bridges.

Tough job.

I was only 11...

by Bri A, Monday, August 14, 2017, 11:55 (2596 days ago) @ Creeker

and was never physically eligible to serve due to injuries in school athletics and accidents. Just wanted to take this opportunity to thank those who did serve though, in whatever capacity, at any time, your sacrifices are appreciated by me. Again, Thank You!

Well said brother..........nt

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Monday, August 14, 2017, 19:47 (2595 days ago) @ Bri A

This Day in 1972

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Monday, August 14, 2017, 14:20 (2596 days ago) @ Creeker

I was somewhere in the woods of northern Wisconsin or the Upper Peninsula of Michigan on an Outward Bound type expedition leading a bunch of incoming Wheaton College (Illinois) freshman on a 2-1/2 week backpacking and canoeing expedition. Even in August there were a couple of nights when we had ice form overnight on the puddles.

Life sure was simpler then. The only real concern was getting to the next camp site and avoiding any serious illness or injury among our charges.

RSS Feed of thread