removing leading

by bj @, Sunday, July 30, 2017, 19:32 (2610 days ago)

I've read about various methods- finally visited the local large hardware store (not many of those around anymore) and bought some bronze wool. The instructions said to wrap it around an old bore brush, so it fits tightly in the bore, and run it through the bore. It seemed to work better than a good brush but still slower than I thought it would.

Nothing works fast or easy enough...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, July 30, 2017, 19:35 (2610 days ago) @ bj

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I bought a S&W 25-5 once that looked like a smoothbore.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Sunday, July 30, 2017, 20:32 (2610 days ago) @ bj

It took 4 Outers brushes and 3 movies to get the lead out. As long as the brush is a little bit harder than lead, it will get there eventually.

removing leading

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Sunday, July 30, 2017, 21:26 (2610 days ago) @ bj

For years, I used aluminum screen patches on a jag with a piece of paper towel etc. to make the apparatus fit tight in the bore. Work several passes back & forth and it'll drag strips of lead out.

Lewis Lead Remover

by Murphy @, Sunday, July 30, 2017, 22:29 (2610 days ago) @ bj
edited by Murphy, Monday, July 31, 2017, 05:07

In my early years of hand loading and lead bullets, I discovered leading. Then I had to go about figuring out 'how to get the lead out'.

Gun magazines being the only source I had to learn about such matters, I kept seeing the Lewis Lead Remover advertised in seemingly all of them. I figured I had nothing to lose and ordered one. My prayers were answered.

Brownells still sells them, thankfully. Below is a link if you think it may be of some help.

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/patches-mops/lead-remover/lewis-lead-re...

Hopefully, you find what is causing the leading. There always seems to be a tad, but it usually knocks right out with a few good brush passes if a fella stays on top of it.

Murphy

Chore Boy

by Jhenry, Monday, July 31, 2017, 06:57 (2610 days ago) @ bj

I use all copper Chore Boy kitchen scrub pads. The cheap ones are copper coated steel so avoid those. Wrap some around a brush as you have with the bronze wool. Works fairly quickly.

10-4 on the Chore Boy

by Murphy @, Monday, July 31, 2017, 21:09 (2609 days ago) @ Jhenry

"NM"

removing leading

by Jared, Monday, July 31, 2017, 09:33 (2610 days ago) @ bj

Like JHenry said the Copper Chore boy work the best. It is corser than ordinary bronze woll and cuts much faster. Normally I can have a very leaded barrel clean in about 5 minutes using one. I normally run an oily brush through the bore a few times followed by a tightly wrapped brush. The first pass through the bore will normally pull out an amazing amount of lead.

RSS Feed of thread