before there was RCMP there was

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, July 19, 2017, 13:33 (2622 days ago)

[image][image][image]
Royal North West Mounted Police New Service. Shipped in 455 Ely, Converted by the Canadians to 45 Colt when the standardized on that caliber.[image]
I just picked this up from a friend .

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Cool Rob!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, July 19, 2017, 14:10 (2622 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Is that a Tyler? If so, what number? (I suppose I could just go query the Tyler site but you need something to do.)

I need to get my New Service back up and running. Need to find a NS 'smith....

yep # 8 is what their sight states. this came with

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, July 19, 2017, 15:17 (2622 days ago) @ Hoot

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Thanks Rob.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, July 20, 2017, 11:15 (2621 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Interesting it is the same as the Security/Service/Speed Sixes.

You keep twisting that knife Rob....

by Otony, Wednesday, July 19, 2017, 14:46 (2622 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

......and it may cure my jealousy ;-) :-D

Otony

Good article on that revolver in Handloader

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Thursday, July 20, 2017, 07:36 (2621 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I think it was December 2016. Just reread it the other night.

before there was RCMP there was

by Drago, Thursday, July 20, 2017, 10:43 (2621 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I read a book many years ago by Vilhjalmur Stefansson about one of his expeditions. One of his group was injured and Stefansson decided he would raft down a river to the closest telegraph to notify the family. The local Mountie loaned him a .455 New Service to defend himself on his trip down river. He turned in to the Mounties at the end of the journey.

Very cool!

by Bri A, Friday, July 21, 2017, 09:03 (2620 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

My experience with the big old Colts is very limited shooting of my Dad's 1917, which saw plenty of use before it came into his possession and has typical wartime production quality. My Grandfather used to have a beautiful commercial New Service in 45 Colt, that I never even saw fired, wish I had it to play with now. The one thing I do remember is the huge grip frames, my hands are quite large and it was still a long reach to the trigger.

Very cool!

by Catoosa, Friday, July 21, 2017, 09:55 (2620 days ago) @ Bri A

My experience with the New Service is likewise limited, but they are certainly cool old guns. Once when I was a kid a friend of my Dad who lived somewhere out west came to visit, and he had a nickled .45 NS that he let me shoot. I remember I could barely reach the trigger and had to cock it single action to even shoot it at all. Somewhere in my collection of odd brass I still have a cylinder full of empty cases from that gun that I kept as souvenirs.

RSS Feed of thread