Free Home computer antivirus soft ware????

by bmize, Tuesday, June 20, 2017, 17:42 (2651 days ago)

With my last laptop several of you recommended AVG and I guess it worked fine. Never had a problem I know about.
This new laptop I downloaded AVG again and it tells me every time I turn it on AND every 30 minutes I need to upgrade with a popup that is extremely aggravating.

Anything else out there for free I can change to and keep me from taking this thing to the trap range and put the shotgun to it??

Thanks

VIPERWARE works great for me

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, June 20, 2017, 18:17 (2651 days ago) @ bmize

and it doesn't act like malware...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Avast is another one that is recommended

by bj @, Tuesday, June 20, 2017, 20:54 (2651 days ago) @ bmize

I picked AVG after reading reviews and yes it is pretty annoying. I've considered either going to Avast or starting over with the research.

You might do a search for "best free antivirus" and read a few reviews by people like CNET.

by Paul ⌂, Wednesday, June 21, 2017, 06:43 (2650 days ago) @ bmize

A few years ago I decided that free can be too expensive at times. Switched to running ZoneAlarm Extreme Security and have never had another issue. It comes with a license for up to three computers and paying every two years it comes to very little money per machine. After losing hours and hours trying to clean up after stuff got through, it's a lot of peace of mind and cheap insurance. Now my main concern is hardware failure (note to self - get that backup done!) It also comes with PC Tuneup soft ware to help keep things humming along.

That being said, Avast seems to work well for folks I know who don't want to spend the $ on a good program.

What Paul said, Viperware is worth every penny.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, June 21, 2017, 08:00 (2650 days ago) @ bmize

there may be a free trail...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by bmize, Wednesday, June 21, 2017, 17:47 (2650 days ago) @ bmize

Thanks, I'll do a little research

RSS Feed of thread