Adjustable Sights for Vaquero

by Big Six, Monday, June 19, 2017, 22:17 (2651 days ago)

I have seen Ruger Vaqueros with adjustable sights put on by gunsmiths (Alan Harton and others)and I am desirous of putting them on some Vaqueros since I am unable to hit varmints in my garden with the factory sights.

(I hate to admit it but I am getting long of tooth.... and short of eyesight.)

I have an old time gunsmith just up the road from me and he said he would consider putting sights on my Vaqueros if I was in no hurry.

He said that in the past he had used (and liked)) sights from a company called "Miniature Tool Machine"

My search has been kind of weak.

Does anyone know details of this company or another that makes adjustable sights that can be put on Ruger Vaqueros?

My point shooting with them is fine but.... my deliberate aimed fire is greatly hindered by the factory sights.

My gratitude is provided in advance for any information received.

by SIXGUNNER, Monday, June 19, 2017, 22:41 (2651 days ago) @ Big Six

I HAVE MMC SIGHTS ON AN EARLY .45 COMMANDER BUT ADJUSTABLE SIGHTS DO NOT IMPROVE YOUR EYESIGHT. IF YOU CAN'T SEE THE FACTORY SIGHTS YOU WON'T SEE THE ADJUSTABLE SIGHTS. FIND AN EYE DOCTOR WHO CAN HELP YOU WITH PROPER GLASSES.

by Robb Barnes, Monday, June 19, 2017, 23:25 (2651 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

If as JT suggests you do get some optometry help and still want adjustable sights, check with David Clements. He supplied the adjustable rear sight on my Forkin Vaquero.

by Big Six, Tuesday, June 20, 2017, 00:18 (2651 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

Y'all are just pickin' on me.

I can see the sights on my Alaskan fine.

The sights on those Vaqueros are.....

shiny/tiny/narrow/stainless/(and difficult)

I saw some sights put on Vaqueros a few years ago and they looked fine... small and neatly installed.

Gimme a break.... I have a gunsmith 1/8 mile away and he doesn't use the computer (at all).

Is MTM still selling sights?

I don't recall seeing MTM

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Tuesday, June 20, 2017, 07:32 (2651 days ago) @ Big Six

There was (is) MMC sights.

http://www.sightsinc.com/

Looks like there for semi-autos. I always liked the looks of S&W adjustable sights on a single action.

by Big Six, Tuesday, June 20, 2017, 10:35 (2651 days ago) @ Wildcat

I believe you and JT are correct.

I could not find MTM but readily found MMC who appears to make only rear sights for a variety of auto.

This gut is nearly 80 and has never been on a computer in his life and was recalling the company from memory saying he had used their stuff before and likes the company.

He is about finished his smithing due to health but has done work for me nearly 40 years. I would like for him to perform the work if possible (which is but he is old, contrary and slow).

I got the contact info for MMC and will get with him as soon as possible.

For the guys picking on me.... that's just part of doing business here.

I enjoy the site and read it every day although I post little.

I read an article last night that JT wrote about barrel twisting etc. to get the revolvers to shoot to POA and don't want to ask the guy to do that.

After all... I have seen the work of some other smiths that have put S&W (and other) sights on single actions and some looked really good.

It would be nice to be able to adjust the sights for different loads I shoot.

I carry factory loads when I use the single actions for EDC but when I shoot varmints eating my garden or for fun at targets I shoot (usually) 210gr SWC over 7 gr. Unique.

That is an accurate load... a softie... and plenty for little critters.

Y'all just want me to spend all my hard earned money on glasses leaving the lead, powder and primers for y'all to burn.

Ain't gonna happen.

BTW... Thanks for helping me get the MMC vs MTM straightened out.

(I'll tell the smith "I wrote it down wrong.")

by Big Six, Tuesday, June 20, 2017, 10:40 (2651 days ago) @ Big Six

I need to proof my posts before I submit but I think y'all will understand.

(I am not really ignorant... I just look that way.)

Clements put J frame sight on the one I had done years ago.

by cas, Tuesday, June 20, 2017, 11:56 (2651 days ago) @ Big Six

That was trying to fix a wonky cast frame more than anything else.

I'm finding fiber optic front sights are helping me a lot. I don't even realize how much till I try to use something without.

I put a fiber optic on my .475 BFR..

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Tuesday, June 20, 2017, 18:01 (2650 days ago) @ cas

At first it was to help in some lower light hunting situations, but when I hit 48 or so and my reading vision went bad, it really helped. No easy way to do it on my Smiths but I've learned to make do.

J-frame sights seem to look the best

by bj @, Tuesday, June 20, 2017, 21:01 (2650 days ago) @ cas

I thought I read that they were hard to get. To make the sights easier to see you can just replace the front sight, which you would need to do anyway. Or you can modify your sight with a file to square and possibly serrate the rear surface then paint it black.

By the time you pay to replace front and rear sights with something that looks good, you will have spent about half the cost of buying a Blackhawk that already has adjustable sights.

If you are like most people it is pretty easy to improve the situation with some cheap new glasses. I've bought Elvex safety glasses with +0.5 or +0.75 correction and they make front sights much easier to see. This is for about $10 per pair and one pair of glasses will work with all of your handguns.

Front sight picture

by edwardyoung, Wednesday, June 21, 2017, 22:32 (2649 days ago) @ bj

I snagged this picture years ago, for future reference
[image]

Surely you are getting up in years??? :-D

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Wednesday, June 21, 2017, 16:58 (2650 days ago) @ cas

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

I like the S&W sights on a Vaquero....

by rob @, Tuesday, June 27, 2017, 06:40 (2644 days ago) @ cas

They blend nicely and look great. I wish I could use the fiber optic sights. I can generally see standard front sights good and sharp without my glasses. With fiber optic sights I have to figure out which of the four red or green dots is the real one:(

Always thought Ruger should use Blued front on SS Vaqueros

by ERSisk @, Sunday, June 25, 2017, 14:05 (2646 days ago) @ Big Six

RSS Feed of thread