Dillon 1050 owners, talk to me...

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, June 10, 2017, 12:30 (2661 days ago)

I have a 550 and love it but I need more production. My biz partner and I are going to be doing a lot more shooting (mostly 9mm & 223) as we get into some local matches and we like to practice.

What advice would you give to someone going to the big progressive? What accessories are essential? What do I need to be thinking about?

If you know of anything for sale, let me know.

remember rifle cases need to be trimmed....

by JD, Western Washington, Saturday, June 10, 2017, 17:04 (2661 days ago) @ Bryan

Remember that rifle cases need to be trimmed. Dillon offers an electric trimmer, which works great but does add cost.... I've seen quite a few cases at the range lately where the loader used a progessive and didn't understand that rifle cases have to be trimmed to length, so the reloads (even commercial) reloads wouldn't chamber in their rifles.....

Yes, that's a good point...

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, June 10, 2017, 17:08 (2661 days ago) @ JD

I found a used 1050 Super at a good price. Of all things it's setup for 380 and the more obvious 223. I will get it setup for 9mm and 223 primarily.

I will be adding the Dillon case trimmer and Mr. Bulletfeeder.

Well since I'm spending your money and not mine...

by cas, Saturday, June 10, 2017, 18:51 (2660 days ago) @ Bryan
edited by cas, Saturday, June 10, 2017, 18:54

It's a pretty cool setup for high production. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, June 10, 2017, 19:06 (2660 days ago) @ cas

-

It's essentially the cost of another optioned press....

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, June 10, 2017, 19:20 (2660 days ago) @ Bryan

that's not horrible particularly if time is $ for you. I would consider it down the road. I have other presses for small production and custom loads. I really like the quality of that auto drive, the tablet controls and the clutch and dwell time features. It's pretty slick.

P.S.

by ERSisk @, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 23:41 (2656 days ago) @ cas

My 1000 has to many idiosyncrasies for me to ever be able to automate it any more than it is now. I like being able to see, feel and hear everything that is going on when loading. Between myself and the former owner I'm guessing it has seen at least 650,000+ rounds. Shes a little loose hear and there and I have had to fabricate the occasional new part, but she's still going strong.

I believe you've gotten your money's worth....

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Thursday, June 15, 2017, 05:59 (2656 days ago) @ ERSisk

that's a high mileage press. Impressive.

Adding a Mr Bulletfeeder to it...

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Monday, June 12, 2017, 10:04 (2659 days ago) @ Bryan

and some misc parts. It will be setup for 223 and 9mm and of all things 380 (by previous owner). I need to get a Dillon case trimmer for 223...and an auto primer filler. Down the road, I might consider that Mark 7 auto drive. The more I look at that one, the more I like it. I don't like most of the auto drives but that one addresses a lot of issues the others have.

It will be nice to load several thousand rounds in one session. In 2 hours, we could load enough to supply 2 shooters for a month of good practice and several matches.

Have a Dillon 1000 I bought used 20+ years ago.

by ERSisk @, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 23:19 (2656 days ago) @ Bryan

With two shell plates, multiple heads and small & large primer feeds, I can load .40, 10 mm, 9 mm, .357/.38, .223. Auto case feed of course. For cranking out a lot of rounds an Auto primer tube filler and 20 or 30 primer tubes with a loading block type holder is my most important accessory. It greatly reduces staging time I have a high intensity light directly over the press and like to do a visual on everything as I am placing a bullet in the case, so I am not sure if I would gain much with an auto bullet feeder. Starting with everything filled and staged and no hiccups I have loaded 1200 rounds in one hour. Two to three hours is about my max. at one sitting and maintain concentration. Most loading sessions I get 800 to 900 an hour. I'm trying to assemble 100% good ammo not set speed records.

The staging and primers are key as you said...

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Thursday, June 15, 2017, 05:58 (2656 days ago) @ ERSisk

I need to get a primer auto filler. I was looking at Dillon's version but I'm open to suggestions?

I have a primer tube rack from Inline Fabrication but I need more primer tubes...
https://inlinefabrication.com/products/primer-tube-rack-case-feeder-mount-style?s=recom...

Your comments about a light are a good idea. My reloading room doesn't have the best lighting. I'm looking at this one...
https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/lighting/products/skylight-for-the-dillon-1050

I hear you on loading well vs fast. I'm not trying to redline the output but I would like to see higher production than I'm getting with the 550. I loaded for years on a Rockchucker and still have it. Then I added the 550 and a RCBS turret press. With the 1050 on the way, I think I'm covered. I don't reload shot shells.

RSS Feed of thread