Forum Topics

by Big Six, Tuesday, June 06, 2017, 12:37 (2665 days ago)

I have not been present on this forum as often as I was in the past due to a variety of reasons but in my periodic returns I have noticed a slight change.

Topics at one time were almost 100% firearm related and I had/have no problems with that but as I said in another post...

The times are a changing.

I see my friends here more frequently discussing issues impacting all of us and they sometimes deviate from firearms somewhat.

I have inserted topics occasionally that border deviating from firearms but they include in some manner or emphasize the need for the presence of a firearm.

That being said... I default back to firearms as primary subject and pose a question for the group.

I have always loved the big bores (hence the handle) and, having a friend visit here to shoot some of his recent acquisitions, became the owner of a Ruger Alaskan .454/.45 Colt.

I have shot .45 Colts for years... soft and hot loads.. and in my locale see the need for nothing more powerful but I loved that 2 1/2" big snubbie.

I have only shot it about 100 times with .45 Colt loads and never a .454 Casull.

I shot a Casull years ago and it is noticeably potent but I doubt I will need it for other than impressing buddies. I will attain a few for that purpose but will likely stick with the .45 Colt rounds.

It's heavy.... I can live with that.

It's concealable.... kinda

It's accurate.... for a 2 1/2" barrel

Long trigger pull DA... beautiful SA trigger pull.

I can find no faults other than it's a bit heavy... (but it sure is likeable)

Any bad experiences about which anyone is aware?

Forum Topics

by stonecold, Tuesday, June 06, 2017, 16:07 (2665 days ago) @ Big Six

I have the Alaskan in .480 and have shot it a lot in the 12 or so years I have owned it. Nice revolver for sure. Use one of Rob's Sourdough holsters to carry it. Big and heavy, but has the horsepower for sure. Shot mostly with about 400 grain bullets at just over 1,000 fps. I like it.

That velocity range of 950 to about 1100 is very nice...

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Tuesday, June 06, 2017, 19:05 (2664 days ago) @ stonecold

and one that I do the majority of shooting big bores with. It's very comfortable, whether it's a 44 mag at 250 grains or a 500 at 440 grains. You can always work something harder but in most cases you gain very little from it. Soft skinned game doesn't need more speed for total penetration most of the time. It's fun to run faster loads for distance work but even more fun to work on calling your shots with slower loads.

Congrats on the Alaskan. They are stoutly built and dependable. That's why they didn't call them Texans! Hah...let's see where that goes.

I like the Alaskan platform

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, June 07, 2017, 08:19 (2664 days ago) @ Big Six

The .480 calls out to me but I haven't scratched that itch....yet. I also see some appeal in the .44 Mag (like I need another .44). The Casull, on the other hand, doesn't really speak to me. The Colt? Yep, but not the .454 for some reason.

Always glad to see your handle Six. Stop by when you can.

I think the Alaskan is very interesting

by bj @, Wednesday, June 07, 2017, 20:19 (2663 days ago) @ Big Six

I'm not sure what it would be like in .454, probably a lot of blast. The best thing is that the chambering is very versatile. If you really needed it for large critter protection you could load 340 grains at 1000 fps and that might be more manageable. .480 would be even better for serious use but not for fun shooting. I think the 4" RH in .45 Colt could fill the same duty pretty easily but you couldn't use .454 if you wanted to use common ammo with a larger hunting arm.

I've got no serious use for a heavy .45 Colt defense machine like that but I still think it is interesting and I might buy one just because if I found a good deal.

On the subject of .480, I've been a bit interested in the short barrel .480 Bisley version that I've read about but haven't seen one yet.

by John Meeker @, Wednesday, June 07, 2017, 21:19 (2663 days ago) @ Big Six

Nice to have a packable .45..i believe that for me, the round covers a most of the other powerful calibers.. The DA Ruger .45 is a sweeties. have a 6"er[?] or thereabouts....

454... After Bob Baker heard me wining about the rec

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, June 07, 2017, 21:28 (2663 days ago) @ Big Six

coil of my 454s, he said " Just like a hot rod, You don't always have to run it full out to enjoy it."...i am a fan of the Ruger Alaskan, have wanted a 480, but never actually bought one. the 454 in the Alaskan, is okay, but I think even in Alaska in brown bear country, I would carry hot 45s, not full house 454s...accurate aimed fire is more important than raw power.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by Big Six, Thursday, June 08, 2017, 09:43 (2663 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

The day I saw the Alaskan I pretty much fell in love with the big snubbie.

I have many activities going on at present and have had precious little time to shoot it.

We have no brown bears here in KY (to my knowledge) so I will keep it stoked w/ heavy .45 Colt and a few powder puffs to learn its nature . I plan to get some .454 Casull to try in it just for kicks and that leads to a question.

Is it possible to use my .45 Colt dies to reload a .454 Casull?

It "appears" to be about a tenth of an inch longer than the Colts and I don't plan to but dies for another caliber I will rarely if ever use.

I can buy buy OTC .45 Colt ammo that will kill the grass in front of the muzzle when you shoot them in the yard so I doubt I will ever need the .454 on anything here.

Anyone experienced any problem I can anticipate with the Ruger?

So far it appears extremely well made.... gorgeous in a brutal kind of way.

Yes you can adust 45 Colt dies to load 454. The 454 uses

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, June 08, 2017, 10:01 (2663 days ago) @ Big Six

small primers...

--

by sixgunner, Thursday, June 08, 2017, 13:21 (2663 days ago) @ Big Six

IF YOUR .454 IS A FA MODEL 83 CHances are very good standard .45 colt dies will not, repeat not, size the case enough to fit the tight .454 chambers.

It's a Ruger Alaskan...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, June 08, 2017, 14:26 (2663 days ago) @ sixgunner

But yes, FA's are tight!

--

son #1 has a 480 Bisley Blackhawk

by stonewalrus, Thursday, June 08, 2017, 15:21 (2663 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I have not fired it but he seems to think it isn't all that bad to shoot. More of a slower push than a slam.

That is of interest as well.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, June 09, 2017, 06:56 (2662 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I've been on an 'austerity plan' for a while due to other expenses. Hope the supply doesn't dry up before I'm ready. I have a Super Redhawk in .480 and enjoy that very much. It can get rude but a fella doesn't have to run that way all the time.

He kind of likes the big calibers - has a 44 Redhawk

by stonewalrus, Friday, June 09, 2017, 14:44 (2662 days ago) @ Hoot

A 45 Vaquero and frequently uses his Ruger 1911 in 45 as his concealed carry gun.

RSS Feed of thread