Marlin straight stock to pistol grip conversions query.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, May 30, 2017, 06:12 (2672 days ago)

A buddy wants to convert a Marlin levergun from straight to pistol grip stock. I thought it was only a matter of replacing the wood, lever and trigger plate. Is that correct? He says trigger plates are not available from the factory but I have seen them on BrokeGunner/E-pay.

Thanks for any guidance.

by jgt, Tuesday, May 30, 2017, 06:23 (2672 days ago) @ Hoot

That's it. It is easier if you have a gun with the parts to swap from, either from another one you own or from a friend that wants to trade a pistol grip for a straight stock.

Little more to it than that......

by Otony, Tuesday, May 30, 2017, 07:07 (2672 days ago) @ Hoot

He is essentially correct, however depending on the age of rifle the serial number may be on the lower tang/ trigger plate rather than on the top tang, as are later Marlins.

To me that isn't much of an issue, but depending on your donor and recipient, you could end up with one of three combinations.

A rifle with a serial number on the bottom tang, in which case who is to say if it is on the correct rifle.

Or more interestingly, a rifle with TWO serial numbers, which would undoubtedly interest the Powers That Be.

Or even more daring, a rifle with no serial numbers whatsoever, a Straight To Jail roll if ever there was one.

Otony

One other point....

by Otony, Tuesday, May 30, 2017, 07:09 (2672 days ago) @ Hoot

....I would be more than happy to buy his straight lever, stock, and trigger plate!

Otony

Would you also have to bend the lower tang to fit

by matt/pa @, Tuesday, May 30, 2017, 08:05 (2672 days ago) @ Hoot

the pistol grip?

Depending on what gun he has, it could very well be scarce/desirable. If it's a 30-30, I have a pistol grip 336 that I'd trade instead of him converting his straight grip gun...

Matt

Would you also have to bend the lower tang to fit

by Otony, Tuesday, May 30, 2017, 10:38 (2672 days ago) @ matt/pa

I've seen the lower tang on a pistol gripped Marlin trimmed away to create a straight grip rifle, but you can't bend a straight tang. It would move parts inside out of position.

The difference between the two tangs is simply more material on bottom of the curved tang, but inside everything sits in the same place.

I sent a Marlin XLR back to the factory just before the family sold off to Remington. They replaced the lower tang, lever, and stocks so I ended up with a stainless steel, walnut stocked, half-magazine, long barreled .30-30 rifle. It swings and handles like a fine double shotgun.

My grail gun, although the stainless wasn't in the original dream. It's the one I'd take on my funeral ship, but one of the kids will end up with it instead.

Otony

I believe I have a good pistol grip stock and need a

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, May 30, 2017, 18:28 (2671 days ago) @ Hoot

straight grip. I don't have the lever or bottom plate. and THEN I see that Otony beat me to it! :-D

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Thanks guys! And a clarification.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, May 31, 2017, 06:14 (2671 days ago) @ Hoot
edited by Hoot, Wednesday, May 31, 2017, 06:21

He currently does not have a levergun. Here's what he wants to end up with: an 1894 Marlin in .41 Mag with a pistol grip and Gunner won't sell his. Marlin made some but they are scarce and expensive. I don't know if the 336 series bits will fit and work with the 1894's or not and likely pistol grip bits for the 1894's are just as scarce.

I opined that it might be easier to send a .44 Mag to Regan Nonneman for a conversion. I have heard good things about him. Are there others?

Thanks again!

Any Marlin .41 is going to set him back over a grand

by BC, Wednesday, May 31, 2017, 07:39 (2671 days ago) @ Hoot

They made so few, and the enthusiasts are so... enthusiastic.

Yep. He says he's seeing $1700-$2500+

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, May 31, 2017, 07:51 (2671 days ago) @ BC

While Mr. Nonneman hasn't been consulted, I assumed a feller could pick up a used rifle and add $575 for the caliber conversion and be ahead of the game. Maybe not so much...

It's possible.

by BC, Wednesday, May 31, 2017, 09:08 (2671 days ago) @ Hoot

The biggest problem now is that ANY decent quality older Marlin has about doubled in asking price over the last five years.

Not that they're all selling that much higher, it's just that every carpet bagger thinks the old "JM" means $$$.

I had .41 Cowboy Carbine Limited, NIB, but as prices continued to rise, and safe space continued to dwindle, I ended up selling it to a friend in OR. If you know him from any of the other boards - he's a .41 enthusiast - me may be able to advise on the best route.

Email if you need contact info.

Looks like my friend made a very good choice...

by Bri A, Monday, June 05, 2017, 08:19 (2666 days ago) @ BC

A few years back, the local dealer had a new Marlin 94 in 41 Mag in their clearance rack. He had to put it on lay-away because he did not have the money to pay for it up front. He then stored it at my house for a couple years before he could take it home for fear of what his wife would say. It is still unfired, in the box, with all the paperwork and tags. It has a nicely figured piece of wood for the buttstock as well.

NOPE..................NEVER---

by Gunner @, St Louis, Wednesday, May 31, 2017, 19:39 (2670 days ago) @ Hoot

Shot it Monday for the first time in a while, it is my favorite rifle bar none. If the Limited Edition Cowboy in 41 Mag had a longer stock I would still have it as well, loved the octagon barrel but the short straight stock drove me nuts. The 1894 is not going anywhere but my safe or the range.

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

I guess you were paying attention.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, June 01, 2017, 07:25 (2670 days ago) @ Gunner

Yep, it's a sweetheart all right. You have flung a severe hankerin' on Ray.

by jgt, Wednesday, May 31, 2017, 06:31 (2671 days ago) @ Hoot
edited by jgt, Wednesday, May 31, 2017, 06:39

The Marlin 1894 in 41 magnum is expensive and scarce but he would still be better off money wise buying one than trying to have one built. They are out there, you just have to have patience and keep looking everywhere you can think of.

Just get a Henry Big Boy in .41 nm

by ERSisk @, Wednesday, May 31, 2017, 17:55 (2670 days ago) @ Hoot

He's looking at those but..

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, June 01, 2017, 07:24 (2670 days ago) @ ERSisk

they are straight stock only as well as the bottom tang is part of the frame. Getting one into a pistol grip configuration would be 'muy custom'.

RSS Feed of thread