Known the man for 60 years and never knew.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, May 28, 2017, 11:55 (2674 days ago)

We met my Dad and Bro' Dan yesterday at a rendezvous just south of here. Dad is old friends with Doyle who owns and runs the Two Eagles Kitchen at these events. He makes fry bread like nobody's business. We sat with Doyle and were later joined by a friend of Dad's from when they were in the 7th grade together. They've been in touch ever since. Dad's friend likes to tell us stories from their youth. They must all be true because I've heard some of the same stories from Dad. Well, sometimes the instigators trade names but it's the same stories.

I found out yesterday that Dad was nominated to West Point! Never have I heard that. He turned down the nomination in because he wasn't done chasing the woman who would later become my mother.

Dad doesn't like to talk about himself much (read: "at all") so it's no real surprise that he never said anything. Funny though my Mother never mentioned it.

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Sunday, May 28, 2017, 13:47 (2674 days ago) @ Hoot

Maybe your Mother did not know.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, May 28, 2017, 20:42 (2674 days ago) @ Hoot

by Drago, Wednesday, May 31, 2017, 03:43 (2671 days ago) @ Hoot

My mother's next oldest sister, was virtually engaged to her high school boyfriend when he went to West Point. While he was away, she met her first husband married him. The boyfriend was so devastated, he almost flunked out. He recovered and was in the Class of 1931 and fought in WWII and Korea.

Fast forward to the 1970s. My aunt's husband had died on a business trip in 1965. The boyfriend's wife died in 1970. a mutual friend got the two of them in contact with each other and they were married in 1974. Both have passed on now.

I like that story.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, May 31, 2017, 08:00 (2671 days ago) @ Drago

Thank you.

RSS Feed of thread