Shooting the New Gen 4 Glock 19 TALO

by Scribe, Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 07:10 (2686 days ago)

Folks,

Yeah, I know, I know -- look at me, the new polymer pistolero. But I had the chance to buy a barter three old single actions for brand new Glock 19 with Ameriglo sights. First new gun in more than 10 years.

Sent 175 rounds downrange with it over the weekend. Lots of malfunctions the first day. Field stripped it, lubed it lightly, and tried again. Much, much better, no FTFs at all. Shot European cartridges, Fiocchi and a brand out of the Republic of Slovak. Definitely warmer than American loads. And accurate. That bright front sight made a big difference. Trigger pull was so-so, not mushy, just stiff.

Hoping to take part in a GSSF competition in mid-June. Expect to come in last place.

Scribe

Shooting the New Gen 4 Glock 19 TALO

by rob @, Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 18:03 (2686 days ago) @ Scribe

I put a set of Ameriglo sights on my last Glock and I HATED that gun but I keep it a lot longer than I should have because I didn't want to part with that beautiful big orange ball with the tritium dot in it:)

Ameriglo sights

by Scribe, Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 09:37 (2685 days ago) @ rob

Rob,

Nice, ain't it? Had I bought a regular Glock, I would have replaced the sights anyway. And in low light, you just see that nice green circle.

Thinking of adding a 3.5 lb. connector and a NY-1 trigger spring eventually.

Now the Glock 22, that was I gun I truly loathed, more for the cartridge than the pistol. Obnoxious muzzle blast and recoil!

Scribe

Glock Triggers....

by rob @, Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 21:00 (2685 days ago) @ Scribe

On the Gen 4 guns, often putting a 3.5 minus connector in it makes it worse rather than better. It's because the Gen4 triggers are slightly different. I solved the problem on mine by installing the 3.5 connector and a Gen3 Glock 17/34 smooth face trigger in it. It's a drop in replacement and the trigger bar geometry is different than the Gen4. Major improvement. After that I installed a Wolff reduced power striker block spring and that made a bigger difference than I would have ever imagined. All the other springs I left stock...that way you still get a good positive trigger return and reset. The trigger was excellent at that point. I also thinned the bottom of the trigger guard, letting the gun sit lower in my hand and contoured and undercut it a bit right at the edge of the grip. I rounded the back edges of the grip frame (at the top of the hand) and that help a lot. By the time I was done it was pretty good but still felt funny in my left hand. I wonder sometimes if I should have kept it and maybe sent it off to a pro like Robar for a full grip reduction. But, it's done now. I'm tempted to buy the new CZ striker gun...it's supposed to fit Glock holsters and such.

Glock Triggers....

by Scribe, Thursday, May 18, 2017, 07:01 (2684 days ago) @ rob

Leaving mine stock for the time being. I am entering a GSSF match next month (Amateur-Civilian category). Probably will end up dead last ...

Scribe

But I bet you have fun:) NM

by rob @, Thursday, May 18, 2017, 14:45 (2684 days ago) @ Scribe

RSS Feed of thread