Ruger Single 10 report

by ERSisk @, Saturday, May 13, 2017, 23:30 (2688 days ago)

I have shot 4 bricks + of various 22s through my Single Ten since Christmas. So far bulk pack Federal, Winchester Super-X, Aquila Eley Prime Super Extra and CCI of various flavors. All seem to be acceptably accurate, with perhaps the nod going to the Aquila. 40 gr. bullets in general seem to shoot well perhaps because of the 1:14 twist rate. If I am really careful I can get all ten into a 2" square standing at 25 yards. I just picked two 1000 count bricks of Winchester M22 for $50ea. at Wally World this weekend but haven't tried them yet, really hope it likes them for the price. As always I added a Belt Mt base pin first thing. I really like the way this little gun shoots. I have only one issue with it. In order to center my groups I have the rear sight notch way right of center. Is it just me that is bothered by this on a gun? I am trying to ignore it since it shoots so well but not sure I can let it go. The barrel needs turning in enough to move the front sight a full blade thickness left in order to center the rear blade notch. What think you all. Leave it or try to tighten the barrel a smidgen?

I had an Accusport Bisley...

by rob @, Sunday, May 14, 2017, 08:41 (2688 days ago) @ ERSisk

In 45 Colt that came with the sight blade not only sideways but not even straight front to back. Same thing...gun was a heck of a shooter. I sent that on to Dave Clements and he put a Freedom Arms style front sight base with interchangeable blades. Worked out great. The FA's interchangeable blades might be overkill but a nice looking custom sight with a patridge blade might be worth it if the gun shoots well.

Ruger Single 10 report

by Catoosa, Monday, May 15, 2017, 09:42 (2687 days ago) @ ERSisk

I have had the same problem with a couple of guns. Cured it by filing the appropriate side of the rear notch. For me, almost every adjustable sight and many fixed sights have notches that are too narrow. I have had astigmatism all my life and presbyopia now as well. A wide notch that gives more light on either side of the blade is MUCH easier to line up.

Just a thought. If you try that and don't like it, Ruger rear blades are easy to replace.

Going to check with Ruger and see what they say.

by ERSisk @, Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 22:20 (2685 days ago) @ Catoosa

I want to try turning the barrel to line everything up. But I have a couple of concerns. Stainless steel on stainless steel threaded connections have a tendency to gall. Is the reason the barrel is not turned in all the way to line up the sights is the threads have galled? Will I be able to unthread the barrel without galling the threads?

Going to check with Ruger and see what they say.

by Catoosa, Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 09:27 (2685 days ago) @ ERSisk

If you do turn the barrel enough to center the rear notch, is it going put the front sight off center? I think that would bother me about as much as the rear being off center.

I've got an old S&W 1905 that came out of eastern Kentucky, allegedly owned by an old mountain gunfighter who had "customized" it to suit himself. One thing he did was to bend the front sight over quite a bit. Still has the plier marks on it. Looks really odd, but the old thing shoots dead on and so accurately that I have just left it alone. It's one of those guns that I REALLY wish could talk about where it's been and what it's done.

Front is off center turning barrel will center both f & r

by ERSisk @, Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 20:27 (2684 days ago) @ Catoosa

Front is off center turning barrel will center both f & r

by Catoosa, Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 22:45 (2684 days ago) @ ERSisk

OK! Sounds like turning the barrel will solve both problems.

Ruger Single 10 report: What happened?

by Mike P @, Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 13:07 (2377 days ago) @ ERSisk

ERSisk - What happened? I have a SS fixed sight BearCat that I am thinking more about turning the barrel on. Wondering if this panned out. I had learned to live with mine, but Grandkids are coming along and I would preffer it be sorted out.

Thanks,
Mike P

RSS Feed of thread