New pistol in the house....

by Otony, Thursday, April 27, 2017, 18:18 (2705 days ago)

You don't wanna know what I paid.

Otony

[image]

That serial number....

by Glen, Thursday, April 27, 2017, 18:26 (2705 days ago) @ Otony

...makes it look like that's Bob's gun!

That serial number....

by Otony, Thursday, April 27, 2017, 20:21 (2705 days ago) @ Glen

It does, sort of!

The serial number starts with 80, but Colt didn't begin the '80 Series style safety until 1983. This does NOT have the additional safety parts, which indicates production between 1980 and 1982 IF the research material I'm using is correct.

In any case, it has all the features I like, and cost about the same as a 1974 Oldsmobile! :-D

Otony

by Catoosa, Sunday, April 30, 2017, 18:19 (2702 days ago) @ Otony

Whatever it cost, you have one of the best "packin'" guns ever built! Compact, powerful (I presume it's a .45), reliable. OK, it's heavier than some little guns but in a proper holster even a creaky old fart like me can carry one all day with no problem.

Speakin' of proper holsters for a Combat Commander, thanks again, Rob! This one's a dandy.

I was 15 when the Combat Commander was introduced in 1970...

by Otony, Monday, May 01, 2017, 03:09 (2701 days ago) @ Catoosa

.....but it wasn't until the summer of '72 that I actually saw one. It was sitting in a display case at the Rod & Gun Club, on base in Geissen, Germany. I was pretty certain right then that my life wouldn't be complete if I didn't own one, but it has somehow taken all these years to occur.

I have had other 1911s with the 4.25" barrel, but never a Colt, although I've owned a fair number of Government Models.

This one will get an ambidextrous safety, a long trigger (solid, no holes), and a set of thin, double diamond grips. It might be a tad heavy, but IT is what I would consider perfection, not a Glock.

Itch scratched, and it only took 45 years. I've wanted a 1972 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide since then too, but after quite a few Motor Company rides, still no joy on that account....yet! :-D

Otony

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Monday, May 01, 2017, 20:44 (2701 days ago) @ Otony

Splendid carry gun and a fine example of the breed. Congratulations.

RSS Feed of thread