Short barreled 45 acp ammo opinions needed

by Brien @, NWArkansas, Saturday, April 22, 2017, 14:42 (2710 days ago)

I am upgrading my pocket pistol to a Shield 45 acp. Opinions on ammo will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Brien

Strangely enough this article says short vs long doesn't mea

by stonewalrus, Saturday, April 22, 2017, 15:14 (2710 days ago) @ Brien

by Jared, Saturday, April 22, 2017, 22:03 (2709 days ago) @ Brien

I have been testing the same with my 3.3" XDs. So far the clear winners are Gold Dots loaded to +p in 200 and 230gr weight. They open up as good or better than most other HPs in a 5" barrel. I still want to test the HSTs but haven s been able to get my hand started on any for a reasonable price.

In the numerous bullets I have tested into water and other things, the Gold Dots are the best performing at lower velocities in several calibers. They are my go to for most things.

200gr Gold Dot, 230gr Gold Dot loaded to +P pressure out of a 3.3" XDs.

124gr 9mm Gold Dot one standard and one +P out of a S&W Shield

[image][image][image]

Strangely enough this article says short vs long doesn't mea

by Jared, Saturday, April 22, 2017, 22:12 (2709 days ago) @ stonewalrus

In my testing there is a big difference especially with more conventional HPs. For the most part about with a conventional HP 800 ish is abou the bottom window for reliable expansion. Even when loaded to +P in the 3.3" a Hornady XTP for example isn't all that reliable on expansion. They open up just fine in a 5".

On conventional HPs the plain Remington and Winchester 230r JHP open up ok at lower velocities, but not nearly as drastic as a Gold Dot. In my opinion small calibers and short barrels are great candadates for premium bullets.

thanks for the info I have an XDS

by stonewalrus, Saturday, April 22, 2017, 22:36 (2709 days ago) @ Jared

Nm

by Murphy @, Sunday, April 23, 2017, 08:55 (2709 days ago) @ Jared

I have often wondered about the effect a shorter barrel has on just about any handgun, especially the 45 Auto.

Starting off with a full size 1911 and watching them shrink over the years has always left me with a nagging question in the back of my mind. "When" does barrel length start coming into play in the velocity/expansion factor of the grand old 45 Auto?

Thank goodness modern technology has provided us with so many options now. Watching the change the past 15-20 years in bullet design, has been amazing to say the least. There was a time I would be caught carrying anything less than a full 230 grain hollow point in a 5" 1911 for fear of it not doing it's job.

Thanks for sharing your test results. I'm sure I am not the only one who has wondered the same.

Murphy

RSS Feed of thread