Anyone here own/use a Massey-Ferguson 135?

by Otony, Saturday, February 18, 2017, 09:41 (2773 days ago)

Got a chance to buy a clean one, diesel powered, with a LOT of tools for $3800. Comes with a rake, disc, brush hog, and post hole digger. Looks pretty clean for a fifty year old tractor.

Any experience? Good points? Bad points?

Otony

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Saturday, February 18, 2017, 10:03 (2773 days ago) @ Otony

Each of those implements are worth $500-1000 on their own. I've not used a 135 but a little research shows it to be about 45 ground HP with 35 at the PTO, which is plenty for anything this side of round baling. It should also have 'live' PTO and a 4 speed with a Hi/Lo box, which should gear you down plenty for garden work etc.

If the engine is sound, it's clean and you like it- I don't see how you can go wrong at that price.

by Catoosa, Saturday, February 18, 2017, 10:20 (2773 days ago) @ Otony

My father bought a MF 25 back in the early 1960s. New but previous year's model. He ran that durn thing into the ground, and it's still sitting out in the field behind their old house. Great tractor, BUT it was built in France, not many were sold over here, most MF dealers have never even heard of that model, and parts had to be ordered and shipped from France. The 35 was much more common and relatively easy to get parts for. I don't have any experience with the 135, but if it's a later version of the 35 it should be a good machine. How many hours?

Unless it has been obviously abused or just plain wore out, it should be an OK deal. Crank it up and see if it smokes when running at about working rpm (800-900 rpm. If it does, and especially if the exhaust has a pungent, irritating odor, you are looking at a wornout engine and an expensive fix. That's what happened with the one Dad had - we just plain wore it out!

Had a 145 for a few years. Solid workhorse utility tractor.

by ERSisk @, Saturday, February 18, 2017, 13:39 (2773 days ago) @ Otony

If it is in sound shape you are definitely looking at a good deal. Mine had @ 900 hrs. on it when I got it, @1400 when I sold it. I had to rebuild the tie rod ends, intake plumbing, and new tires. Check condition of transmission oil, I'm not sure mine had ever been changed when I got it. It is amazing to most people what can be done with a small tractor, it just takes more time. 20 years ago I spent 8 days straight can to can't digging a pond with the 145 and a box blade. Used all the dirt to build up for the house. High ground is scarce in Louisiana and local ordinances do not allow bringing in fill to build up in an existing subdivision. You can rearrange what you have all you want. Dirt guy I know who makes a living doing such things with a lot bigger equipment said I had moved at least 500 cu. yards. Being an old pig / soybean farmer formerly from Missouri who still knows dirt can sometimes come in handy. Number one tip change oil/filter, grease all fittings at 50 hr. intervals, keep water bowl drained and never, never, ever run dry of fuel.

Spent many an hour on a MF 50 when I was a kid

by mcassill, Saturday, February 18, 2017, 17:32 (2773 days ago) @ Otony

Which is a very similar tractor. Good solid machine. The one weak point on those was the multi-power transmission; when those wore out that was a very expensive fix.

by Jared, Saturday, February 18, 2017, 22:26 (2773 days ago) @ Otony

I have a 165 it is a great machine.

If yours has the CAV injector pump they tend to leak around the throttle shaft. There are O rings that the low sulfur diesel eats up causing them to leak. I need to fix mine, but havé beene living with the leak for a while and other than using some extra diesel it still runs great.

I paid the same amount for a BMW motorcycle.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Saturday, February 18, 2017, 23:37 (2773 days ago) @ Otony

It won't mow or dig a hole.

I'd think that is good price for a rig that is sound. One of my goals in life is to need a tractor.

I paid the same amount for a BMW motorcycle.

by Robb Barnes, Sunday, February 19, 2017, 00:31 (2773 days ago) @ Andrew

Whew, does that bring up the memories. Grandpa had 700 acres of cherries and prunes and a Massey 135 was one of the tractors I rode all summer to haul totes and flail filberts. Great little tractors I just did not like that fact that you had to go back to neutral each time you needed to start the tractor. You could not just push in the clutch and turn it over.

If the 135 MF was a revolver....

by cr., Sunday, February 19, 2017, 07:12 (2772 days ago) @ Otony

It would be a model 60 S&W. Dependable powerhouse in a small package.

Thank you to all that responded!

by Otony, Monday, February 20, 2017, 09:47 (2771 days ago) @ Otony

I was aware of the issues with the multi-power transmission, but fortunately this one didn't have that type. Did look at it, and condition was fairly good. All the implements were present and functional.

However, it was NOT a Diesel engine, but rather a gas engine. When I pointed that out to the seller, he admitted making an error in his ad (now corrected), but then got rather snotty, telling me that 135 series are all gasoline, and only the earlier 35 series were diesel.

I'd already done my homework by then, and disagreed with him. It went downhill from there, and the upshot is that I don't own a Massey Ferguson.

I still have my Ford 4000, but I really could use a smaller tractor for working in the orchard. The 135 would have been excellent, and I would have considered it even with a gas engine, but the gut feeling I had was that his "mistake" and willingness to argue probably meant I could expect other issues. So I will keep my eyes open for another 135, or maybe a Ford 3000.

Again, thank you to everyone, ALL the information was much appreciated.

Otony

RSS Feed of thread