Colt Woodsman Match Target Worth

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, February 13, 2017, 09:20 (2778 days ago)

Apologies in advance as this will be a bit vague. Truth be told, I've seen the pistol but haven't paid close attention and I'm a bit surprised he's thinking of selling.

A friend has the above and is thinking of selling. His is nickel plated, full underlug, mebee 6" barrel? I have no idea what vintage, box or accessories, etc. but I do know he takes excellent care of his guns. GunBroker completed auctions are all over the map from just over $500 to $3400(!) but the latter was apparently something quite special. The 'average' price seems to hover around $1000 or so.

What should a feller be looking for with these to help valuate the gun? Secondly, if there is any interest here, I am happy to put you in touch. Past dealings tell me he will be fair with his price but there won't be any screaming deal.

Again, sorry for the lack of detail but I appreciate any input.

Thanks!

Colt Woodsman Match Target Worth

by Brian A, Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 03:05 (2776 days ago) @ Hoot

I have not followed them closely and do not know how nickel may affect values, but it seems that values of them has averaged around $900 for probably 25 years.

Thanks Brian.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 06:44 (2776 days ago) @ Brian A

We talked about it last night. The pistol is in fine condition. I did not see any dulling or flaking of the nickel. Confirmed a 6" barrel. I wrote down the serial number but haven't checked the vintage. He said he thought the test target is dated 1965. I shot a couple of magazines through it without issue but found the trigger a bit stiff-ish...not unworkable but not as light as my S&W 41. He is thinking in the neighborhood of $900 at this time. It's not something I can do at the moment.

I don't think...

by Brian A, Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 10:06 (2776 days ago) @ Hoot

I don't remember seeing very many in nickel, so don't know how common they are, or if there is any change in value for that option. I badly wanted a particular, blued, 4" heavy bbl one that had belonged to a friend of my Grandfather's as a memento after he passed, but a dealer bought out his entire collection and would not sell it for less than $950, which was way out of my means at the time. That was back around 1990 and I have sort of watched them at shows ever since and prices seem to have been stuck at that point. Some people really like them, but they don't seem to have the same reputation on the range as do the S&W 41's or some of the High Standards. Having never shot any of them, or competed in rimfire pistol, cannot give a review based on any experience.

original nickel? A proverbial king's ransom.

by Boge Quinn, Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 19:58 (2776 days ago) @ Hoot

Nm

Interesting Boge.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, February 16, 2017, 05:03 (2775 days ago) @ Boge Quinn

I did note on a stroll through completed auctions there were none. This may need a rethink.

None of my reference...

by Brian A, Thursday, February 16, 2017, 11:25 (2775 days ago) @ Hoot

Lists them being offered in nickel, though one says that the factory did quite a few custom orders so there are lots of non-catalog options out there. It would probably take a factory letter to determine whether it is the original finish or not. If original, it could be very rare and quite valuable, if it is a re-finish, then the value is probably less than an original blue version.

That confirms what a 'net search is showing.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, February 16, 2017, 12:02 (2775 days ago) @ Brian A

If purchased, a factory letter is a certainty. WTH, it's only money! ;-)

Sometimes...

by Brian A, Thursday, February 16, 2017, 18:56 (2775 days ago) @ Hoot

You just have to take the gamble. If you like it and can afford it, there is not much of a gamble, it still is what it is either way.

Agreed.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, February 17, 2017, 08:55 (2774 days ago) @ Brian A

I'll take a close look at all the markings and sharp edges for any evidence of a polish and plate. It didn't occur to me earlier in the week. If everything looks crisp, I might roll the dice. More on this later....

RSS Feed of thread