Molds on GunBroker, Observation

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 07:43 (2782 days ago)

So, I've been cruising BrokeGunner looking for molds. I've got a few holes in the line-up what need filling. Not that long ago, most single cavities could be had around $25-30 and doubles a bit more. Now, everything seems to be running at near full retail price. I know I'm a cheap so-and-so but it's disappointing to look through used (and some abused) items at what amounts to full price. I know some brands or out-of-print molds command a premium but I'm seeing used, common Lymans running $50-70.

Has the demand risen to the point of inflating prices or what's up?

by jgt, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 08:08 (2782 days ago) @ Hoot

Sellers like that are keeping custom mold makers busy. If they want retail prices, I might as well have a new one.

by cr., Thursday, February 09, 2017, 09:10 (2782 days ago) @ Hoot

There are people in every hobby that asks moon money for something, especially if it has a sought after name, and sit back and wait for the gullible. I collect cast iron skillets and such. Some will ask triple going price just because it says griswold and sooner or later someone will bite.

Yes. Back 15yrs ago, on ebay, I bought single cavs

by John K., Thursday, February 09, 2017, 09:29 (2782 days ago) @ Hoot

for $5-$10, doubles for $15-20. The most I paid was $40 for a Lyman 4-cav 429421 square groove. Lyman HPs were about $35.

Then the desirable ones started going up as more people started searching ebay. HPs were first, hitting $80 regularly. Four cavs shot past $100. Then everyone with a bullet mould listed theirs with a starting bid of $75. I quit looking. I has tapered off some lately, but is still silly. Back when they were cheap, it worked, even if the used mould had issues. These days, I usually skip right to the custom makers - with one exception. Certain Lee designs in 6-cav are workhorses.

Bought a lot of customs from Mountain molds and they work great. I dislike dealing with group buys on Castboolits, so have only bought a few there. Mihec (Croatia?) makes super quality moulds.

NOE has their own version of group buys and those are excellent moulds also. They have quite a few in inventory also.

Eric at http://www.hollowpointmold.com/ does excellent work if you need an undersize lyman (common) fixed or want one HP'd.

Veral Smith may still be out there somewhere if you don't mind dealing with him.

After Walt died, NEI went downhill faster than a P-47 with a dead engine... perhaps his daughter & SIL have recovered by now, but I will let someone else test the theory.

BPCR has some excellent moulds in people like Hoch & Brooks, but their selection is mostly BPCR.

I know you are aware of all this, but others might find something useful in there.

+1 to everything John says above.

by Glen, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 10:18 (2782 days ago) @ John K.

As for NEI, I heard LOTS of complaints after Walt died, and SIL and daughter took over the business. A few years later, I bought a 9.3mm mould from them and what I got was a very good mould. I have not heard the cacophony of complaints that I was hearing about mould quality earlier, but I do hear on a somewhat regular basis that they aren't very good about answering emails, orders taking a long time to fill, etc.

Erik has a .38-40 Uberti replica of a SAA that I.......

by Otony, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 10:53 (2782 days ago) @ John K.

.....would love to own. One of the nicest Uberti resolvers I've ever seen.

Nice shop too!

Otony

Glen, happy to hear they are making good moulds again. NT

by John K., Thursday, February 09, 2017, 11:08 (2782 days ago) @ Glen

Erik has a .38-40 Uberti replica of a SAA that I.......

by John K., Thursday, February 09, 2017, 11:11 (2782 days ago) @ Otony

Would love to visit him and talk shop! Very nice fellow to deal with, never had the slightest problem.

Erik is a gentleman of the first order. (nm)

by Glen, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 11:40 (2782 days ago) @ John K.

nm

Yes. Back 15yrs ago, on ebay, I bought single cavs

by Mark, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 15:56 (2782 days ago) @ John K.

It has been quite some time since I purchased a new/used bullet mold. I got sick buying used on eBay because what was delivered was not what was promised.
The last mold I purchased was from Accurate http://www.accuratemolds.com/index.php . It is a great mold that just got used last weekend.
Mark

Thanks guys!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, February 10, 2017, 05:01 (2781 days ago) @ John K.

It's probably just me getting older and wondering what happened. But it doesn't really seem all that long ago that a fella could outfit hisself pretty well at $15-20 a pop. Now, it seems like you may as well just buy new and be done with it.

John, that's ONE data point....

by Glen, Friday, February 10, 2017, 10:04 (2781 days ago) @ John K.

...we should be careful not to over-interpret it....;-)

RSS Feed of thread