Ruger hunter. First impression

by cr., Wednesday, February 08, 2017, 22:22 (2783 days ago)

Picked up a Ruger BH Bisely Hunter in .41 mag last week. Well pleased with fit and finish except stocks. Good bit of frame showing around edges and generally sloppy. Going to wear stabilized cherry soon so no matter. Dovetailed front sight looks cheap. Balances fair but man is this thing heavy!

Chamber throats are exactly consistent with a 410 pin guage. 411 will not go in any throat. Hornady XTP .410 is will push in by thumb but have to apply some pressure with a pencil to push it through. BC gap .003 and that is snug. Lock up is tight with very slight end shake. Don't have scale but trigger is pretty stiff. Some faint tooling marks in rifling. This is probably the best dimensioned revolver I've ever owned.

Only ammo on hand is HSM cowboy loads. Twenty five yards, bull bag rest, 2.5 to 3 inch groups. Not fair assessment as those that have seen me shoot know I can't hit diddly squat. No lube star and even left faint leading last inch of barrel.

Dillon dies ordered today.

To be continued....

Ruger hunter. First impression

by Robb Barnes, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 00:24 (2783 days ago) @ cr.

My biggest, baddest, dumbest, "worstest" what ever you want to call it gun trade involved one of these guns. Since I am a 41 freak, when these first came out I HAD to have one! Found a real Ruger aficionado back east that had one he wanted to sell. Cash was kind of tight right then but Hey! I had a brushed stainless limited edition Colt Python I could trade! Is it any wonder the other guy could not accept the swap idea quick enough! Once the gun arrived and I held it I came to the same conclusion about the heaviness of the gun and that was before I added a scope. Put it up for sale and sold it right away then called about buying the python back (insert loud laughing sounds and nasal snorting here) but needless to say it had already been sold! Imagine that.:banghead:

Mr Barnes: Thank you, very much! I feel so much better

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 10:08 (2782 days ago) @ Robb Barnes

now, about some of the silly trades that I have done. I feel your pain.
;-) :-D

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Mr Barnes: Thank you, very much! I feel so much better

by Robb Barnes, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 18:43 (2782 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Rob, I doubt if you have ANYTHING close to as dumb as that one I did but I appreciate your not telling me I am dumber than a door knob after my story!

long barrel, large steel gripframe, yes it's heavy

by bj @, Thursday, February 09, 2017, 19:48 (2782 days ago) @ Robb Barnes

And especially if you leave even more metal in it by drilling small holes.

But let me point out that you are missing the GORG- the "Great Overall Rule of Guns", which is that only under extreme cases do you ever sell or trade a gun. Someday you will wish you had it back.

Something my Grandfather told me...

by Brian A, Friday, February 10, 2017, 09:35 (2781 days ago) @ Robb Barnes

many times over the years, the only people who have never made a bad deal are those people who have never made a deal. He made his living in sales and loved selling and trading just about anything, horses, guns, cars, it just didn't matter, he loved meeting and trading with people.

RSS Feed of thread