Braztech (Rossi) M92 in 454

by MS @, Southern Michigan, Saturday, February 04, 2017, 11:15 (2787 days ago)

After dragging my feet when they were still making them, I thought I'd missed out on ever finding a Rossi M92 in 454. At least one that didn't have a Gunbroker discontinued gun premium price tag.

Yesterday though, I needed to be in the next town North. Since I was there, it was a must to go peruse the gunstore, I mean, really! It was necessary!
I'm sure you all know that inexorable draw.

What was sitting in the lever gun rack? That's right, a 454 Rossi. Brand new!

My best buddy wanted one also, and asked me to look for one.
Hhhmmm, do I buy it for me? Or do I pick it up for my buddy?
In the end, with money very tight around here, I used the credit card to pick it up for my bud.

There were a number of folks here that bought 454 Rossi's here. I seem to remember top level loads are very hard on these, and was thinking loading down enough to go easy on the gun. Heck, they don't really need to be a whole lot more than 5 shot 45 Colt loads.
Any suggestions?

Most likely the bullet is either going to be the RCBS 45-300-swcgc, or an LFN style 300gr. ~

Killebrew has a lot of time behind his.

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, February 04, 2017, 13:25 (2787 days ago) @ MS

I've been looking for the one in 480 Ruger. Can't seem to find them.

Paco wrote this review on the 454 Rossi if you haven't seen it...
http://www.gunblast.com/Paco_Legacy_454.htm

I can say mine was a bit stiff when new, but that vanished

by John K., Saturday, February 04, 2017, 14:20 (2787 days ago) @ Bryan

rather quickly with heavy loads... makes you wonder.

After cracking several forearms through the BB screw, I quit the 300+gr, 2000+fps loads. Those forearms are thin, especially with the overlarge mag tube. Stepped down to 1800fps and the last already-cracked forearm hasn't gotten any worse. that's about 2-300fps above where I run my 45C 92s. Of course, that sort of ruins the dual gun, same ammo concept unless you load down your FAs.

Hoping you'd chime in John!

by MS @, Southern Michigan, Saturday, February 04, 2017, 14:32 (2787 days ago) @ John K.

Arthritis forced me to sell all my heavy recoiling guns, and my FA 454 went to the same buddy that's getting the Rossi.
He's more than fine with Heavy 45 Colt type loads in both.
He and I used to shoot the SSK 340gr TC bullets over 21gr. 296 and a CCI 250 through our 45 Colt Blackhawks.
Something just a bit (tad) more than that is what he's looking for.
Hopefully the Rossi will last a long time at that load level.

RSS Feed of thread