..for the stick-bow guys....

by John Meeker @, Saturday, January 28, 2017, 23:21 (2793 days ago)

by Robb Barnes, Sunday, January 29, 2017, 11:56 (2793 days ago) @ John Meeker

I am always amazed to watch one of the bow masters build a tick bow. A good friend of mine that I used to hunt Roosevelt elk with is a retired wood shop teacher and one of the countries top stick bow builders. To watch him take a hatchet, find a tree and be shooting an arrow out of the stave with just hatchet and knife work in a few hours is amazing. He let me go to h is shop several years ago and helped me make a self bow from a yew wood stave another friend had given me for a birthday present. It took me more that a couple of hours but the process was fascinating.

by Paul ⌂, Monday, January 30, 2017, 10:23 (2792 days ago) @ John Meeker

Thanks for sharing that. I found the bow string particularly fascinating.

by John Meeker @, Monday, January 30, 2017, 19:33 (2792 days ago) @ Paul

Y'r welcome, Paul... I've made a narrow, short range 24' shooting lane down one side of my shop. The long-boows are bit restricted for a level shot. soooo...I've benn snooping for a little cheapie recureve, just keep the arrows from rusting the points...however, a fellow I knew when he lived in this neck'o, was a modern pioneer in the popular resurgence of mounted horse archery. : Lukas Novotny - Saluki bows. His personal story, is one that is the classic immigrant and political refugee story. worth a goodgle...Since this is an attempt to recover my childhood snap shooting skill, anyway -- I just might have to make a short stout stick and see if I can whittle into a shooter. Great fun,

So…'ya want to make your own self-bow, do ya?

by pokynojoe, Monday, January 30, 2017, 22:10 (2792 days ago) @ John Meeker

I got just the place:

https://www.twinoaksbowhunters.org/tennessee-classic

That's right, the Tennessee Classic. Gary Davis and Pappy will help you make your own self bow, and then get you to shoot'in it. All just for a double sawbuck! How ya' gonna beat a deal like that?

So…'ya want to make your own self-bow, do ya?

by John Meeker @, Tuesday, January 31, 2017, 07:02 (2791 days ago) @ pokynojoe

Now THAY's a good lookin place.....and lots of options...thanks...

RSS Feed of thread