Scout rifles (again)...

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Wednesday, January 25, 2017, 13:13 (2797 days ago)

Any reading of Cooper's writings brings that subject up as he was obviously instrumental on the concept. I did some reading through the archives here on this subject and saw various yeas and nays as expected, particularly on the mags.

Who has one now and what are your thoughts on it? I remember all the hoopla when Cooper was writing about them and I never really wanted one at the time. I had some issues with scout scopes washing out in sunlight. I think a red dot might solve that problem for me and come in even lower in weight.

Any thoughts on Steyr vs Ruger Scout? Which example do you like better? I'm thinking specifically of the 308. I'm not a fan of the flash hider on this concept. Any great reason to keep it?

I'm just pondering out loud here and welcome any thoughts on the subject.

Scout rifles (again)...

by uncowboy, Wednesday, January 25, 2017, 13:26 (2797 days ago) @ Bryan

I love scouts and I have many of them. Can't beat the Styer is you have the budget don't see the Ruger being a $850.00 rifle but they do shoot well replace the flash hider with a comp. I would look for a deal on a used Styer a lot more gun then the Ruger. I found that people that don't like the scouts use them wrong. You focus on your target not the scope. The cross hairs just show up on your target. VERY fast and very easy to shoot. J.Michael

I was hoping you would reply...

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Wednesday, January 25, 2017, 13:30 (2797 days ago) @ uncowboy

I know you're a fan of the concept. Can you share more of why you prefer the Steyr? I'm never opposed to paying more once to get it right the first time. I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

What Scouts do you have? Any photos of them? Thanks.

I shot his 17 years ago (? Wow!) and wanted one ever since.

by cas, Thursday, January 26, 2017, 15:59 (2796 days ago) @ Bryan

And this summer I finally bought one.

And you know what? I bought one just because I wanted one. But if I were looking for the same thing, a general use rifle that did the same job, I think I'd buy a Styer Pro Hunter / mountain rifle and put a good aimpoint on it. It would do everything I need for less money. With the scout you're paying a lot for extras and features you may never use.

I've shot the Ruger and they sure uglied it up with that flash hider. And the big magazine is cool, but it kills the handling of the rifle IMO.

I shot his 17 years ago (? Wow!) and wanted one ever since.

by uncowboy, Thursday, January 26, 2017, 17:12 (2796 days ago) @ cas

It took you 17 years Cas Shame on you. COULD IT HAVE REALLY BEEN THAT LONG? I have several Scout type rifles all good in some ways but The Styer is by far the best and I Thank God for putting the right person in my path that let me buy both of mine with great understanding. I have them and Matt is doing his first Safari this July and he will be using the 376 scout. Both Styers will be his when I'm gone but till then I'm holding on tight.

J.Michael

Well... 17 coming this year.

by cas, Thursday, January 26, 2017, 19:32 (2796 days ago) @ uncowboy

Crazy to think about it, where the time went. But then again next month marks my 25 anniversary at work that was only supposed to be for a little while.

Anywho... I almost bought one once before but didn't. I sold my beloved M14 this year and spent the money on a Scout. (I didn't want to register the 14 or make it compliant. and ammo prices got too high for me to keep shooting it the way I used to in rifle and multi gun matches. :( )

I only got to spend one day in the woods this fall, I got snowed out the rest of the time. That one day was spent in a blind, in a bad spot, asleep half the time, basically wasting the day. I usually spend the first two days of the season near the house where it's safe, then when the week starts I feel safe to hit the state land. But that didn't happen this year due to crazy lake effect snows. About the only thing I got from the trip was
this photo. lmao

[image]

I looked at a friend's 376 Pro Hunter tonight.

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Thursday, January 26, 2017, 21:25 (2796 days ago) @ uncowboy

Cool gun but I probably won't get it. I do like the 376 cartridge though. Also like the 375 Ruger and used to have a really nice one. Of course, I've got 375 H&Hs and those are fantastic.

I have the Ruger.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, January 25, 2017, 13:48 (2797 days ago) @ Bryan

As Rob predicted, I don't care at all for the issued, steel magazine. I do, however, really like the plastic Ruger mags. I have the 3 round (flush), a couple of 5 rounders and, uhh, several 10 rounders.

The rifle is heavier than I expected but the concept works well for me. I had, for a while, that 2x Leupold on it and it worked just fine but swapped it out when I got a deal on the 2.5x Leupold Scout scope.

I don't care much either way about the flash hider and would really like to see a can on it one day. It has been flawless in action to date and seems to be as accurate as I need.

I'm happy and it's probably about as 'tactical' as I'm going to get anytime soon.

Thx Hoot. You seem pleased overall. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Wednesday, January 25, 2017, 13:50 (2797 days ago) @ Hoot

-

Yep. But...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, January 25, 2017, 16:29 (2797 days ago) @ Bryan

I do agree with uncowboy, it's not really an $800-900 rifle. Regular M-77's sell for (hundreds?) less...

Scout rifles (again)...

by cr., Wednesday, January 25, 2017, 15:46 (2797 days ago) @ Bryan

My variation was a marlin 336 in .35 topped with 2x leupold. I forget name of mount but all I could find way when. It was every thing I wanted it to be. Well balanced. Like already stated target acquisition was simple enough..just look at target and bring rifle to shoulder and crosshairs were staring at you. Alas, it was stolen in 2001. I really liked it and just never got around to replacing it.

Are Remington 600 Series Rifles Easy To Find Any Longer?

by ~JM~, Wednesday, January 25, 2017, 21:06 (2797 days ago) @ Bryan

How about the Remington Model 7's?

~JM~

Not sure....always wanted a 600 in 350 mag. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Wednesday, January 25, 2017, 21:09 (2797 days ago) @ ~JM~

-

There's a pair in a local Cabela's here.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, January 26, 2017, 04:57 (2796 days ago) @ Bryan

Not sure of the model though. Maybe 660? The maple/walnut laminated version but not the first ones. Anyway, both .350 Rem Mag. You know the old saying: "Two is one...." ;-)

It's a fun cartridge but brass can sometimes be tough to find. I have one in a synthetic/stainless Ruger M77. Thumps hogs good.

Thx. Remember the price? NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Thursday, January 26, 2017, 08:01 (2796 days ago) @ Hoot

-

Not cheap...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, January 26, 2017, 08:36 (2796 days ago) @ Bryan

Eh...Cabelas is often too high. Thx for posting. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Thursday, January 26, 2017, 08:38 (2796 days ago) @ Hoot

-

Not sure....always wanted a 600 in 350 mag. NT

by Ken ONeill, Thursday, January 26, 2017, 07:12 (2796 days ago) @ Bryan

I had a Rem. Custom Shop Mdl. 7 with a Kevlar stock in .350 Rem. Mag. and shot my first bear with it. Heavy recoil would not adequately describe the sensation!

Those Custom Shops can be light. I hear you. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Thursday, January 26, 2017, 08:00 (2796 days ago) @ Ken ONeill

-

My favorite Scout is on a rem 600. Ruger's new American

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, January 25, 2017, 23:53 (2796 days ago) @ ~JM~

is a great quick handling light rifle.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I haven't handled the new ones yet. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Thursday, January 26, 2017, 08:01 (2796 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

-

As much as I like the Ruger Gunsite Scout, it is not a Scout

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, January 26, 2017, 09:34 (2796 days ago) @ Bryan

Rifle, according to Jeff Cooper's ideals; too heavy and long except in the plastic stocked 16" version. the AI magazine are a pia the load, the plastic mags are superior as you can snap the rounds through the feed lips.
I wish I had bought a Frontier when they were fairly common. My 77RSI fills the bill admirably. It has a 2x7x30mm Hunter plex Leupold illuminated reticle scope. Really the Scout Concept is waning in it's need. Illuminated reticles, red dots, the ACOG etc allow for quick target acquisition and follow up shots... My 7 .5" pound S&W M10 AR in .308 is a a better rifle for what I want a Scout to do than my Gunsite Scout. My 300 AAC "AR "pistol" will become a Scout updated as soon as I have it SBr'd and suppressed.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I had a Jeff Cooper edition Steyr .308

by cubrock, Thursday, January 26, 2017, 08:55 (2796 days ago) @ Bryan

And I wish I'd never traded it off. It was very fast and accurate. Lightweight and easy to carry. It shot overrun Lake City XM80 ball at 1" at 100 yards off the bench, which amazed me. I like XM80, but don't usually consider it 1 MOA ammo. If you can find a solid used example, the Steyr Scout really can't be beat for value. The only thing I don't like about them is the integral bipod, but I never used it anyway.

I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout currently. Got a great deal on it used and it already has the upgrades I would have wanted to do if I had bought a new one (aftermarket trigger, triggerguard, and a compensator). I haven't shot it yet, although I bought it months ago. Guy who owned it before me didn't time the compensator right and I just haven't gotten off my duff and ordered shims for it. I like how it feels, but it is a lot heavier than the Steyr and doesn't feel as nimble in my hands.

This discussion makes me want my Steyr back. My buddy to whom I traded it died recently. I'll have to ask his family if they want to sell it. If I get it back, I'll probably get rid of the Ruger.

Interesting. Thx for the report and hope you get it back.NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Thursday, January 26, 2017, 08:57 (2796 days ago) @ cubrock

-

Have the Ruger and really like it...

by matt/pa @, Friday, January 27, 2017, 05:23 (2795 days ago) @ Bryan

Went with the 16" bbl and the laminate stock, as it's a bit heavier and helps with recoil control. IF you are concerned about weight afield, get the synthetic stock one. I put a compensator on it, use an Andy Langlois sling, Magpul Mags, and a Leupold 2.5X scout scope. Accuracy is good, and it is a great handling little rifle.

It's ready to go for the Spring Scout Rifle class Rob is going to set up for us at Gunsite.

Getcha one and come to the class!!

Matt

I need to attend one of those classes. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, January 28, 2017, 18:11 (2794 days ago) @ matt/pa

-

Scout rifles (again)...

by Drago, Friday, January 27, 2017, 11:57 (2795 days ago) @ Bryan

I've had a Savage when they first came out. It was rather cheaply done and had a flimsy stock. I don't know what the newer version is like. Hopefully they corrected the flaws of the first version.
I had a Steyr Scout an really liked it. Sadly it was a victim of my divorce and I had to sell it.I'm hoping to replace one day soon, if I can sell off the Ruger.
Currently I have the Ruger version. I bought it used a few years ago, and replaced the laminate stock with their composite stock last year. It's alright, but needs an 18" barrel,a flush magazine option,and doesn't need a Mini 30 flash hider. The story I heard was it was designed by the same fellow who did the Frontier and he refused to put an 18" barrel on it for balance reasons.

Yer killin' me!!

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, January 27, 2017, 16:07 (2795 days ago) @ Bryan

I've built a few pseudo scouts in a budget over the years. I recently picked up a Savage Hog Hunter, tall sights, 20" threaded barrel, with a Vortex 2-7 scope. Shot it last weekend and had no issues hitting steel at 350 yards (no time to put it in passer). I had every intention of buying a Boyd's Tacticool stock and making it into a nice, short precision rifle. Now, you're making me think about adding DBM and a 10 round mag and either sticking a red dot in the current rail or seeing about finding a takeoff scout rail and leaving the light synthetic stock on it!

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

RSS Feed of thread