CCI QUIET .22 --- 40gr 750fps just dandy for town sqwills .

by John Meeker @, Monday, January 16, 2017, 11:27 (2806 days ago)

Not especially cheap, but nice terminal effect. Use the long-bbled vintage Remington 33 w/peep sight. Rarely over 30 to 50 feet, and mostly closer shots. That 40gr appears to have a worthwhile advantage over the many 'short case' run of CB. CB Longs,etc. Still have and use them, but these really have put the remaining Bushy's into a rare sight -- instead of my walnut trees appearing to have grown a bunch of twitchy tails.

addendum -- gunshow price for Ruger .22 SS takesown.... .

by John Meeker @, Monday, January 16, 2017, 13:18 (2806 days ago) @ John Meeker

Went over to Da Show, with one of those 'T.D.----comes in a bag and etc. About200 or so rounds thru it, but just cant find the niche I thot it would occupy. had it a year+ and shot twice. However, I have other .22 walkabouts I like better; sooo.".Heigh-ho..off it goes" Of not. could not get over a couple hundred MAX -- just too many and too cheap and ruger is putting out some remarkably low-priced .22.s, as well. It came home, as well 'the usual' "stock me up, Scotty!" ammo buys.

Thinking this may=possibly be a regional thing, [prob'ly not], I'd like to hear from the assembled a flyer at what they would pay for said .22 -- or would sell the same.

Kinda a dinker subject, but it's the best I've got this AM. TIA.

by uncowboy, Monday, January 16, 2017, 14:46 (2806 days ago) @ John Meeker

Warning Quiet 22 rim fire loads do not work well in micro grooved bbls. Don't buy thinking to use them in a Marlin. J.Michael

by John Meeker @, Monday, January 16, 2017, 15:23 (2806 days ago) @ uncowboy

Thanks for the tip.....the only 'user'for that 'load' is that 1930's issue, single-shot Remington. However, I well may have tried them in a marlin, had you not notified me.

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Monday, January 16, 2017, 19:26 (2806 days ago) @ John Meeker

An excellent pest load that has accounted for several dozen nuisance critters around here over 2-3 years. Sufficient penetration to get the job done.

I've used it in my old Glenfield 60, loaded singly, with decent accuracy and no negative effects.

I have used these in all my .22s and they are pretty

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, January 16, 2017, 21:31 (2806 days ago) @ John Meeker

accurate at "reasonable" ranges from all of them including my 1956 mfg 39M. However, I will say again that they do not fully function any semi-auto other than the Rem 241 out of which they are noticeably quieter because, I think, gas is also escaping through the chamber as well as the muzzle at the same time VERY quickly dissipating gas pressure.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by Jeff Taylor @, Tampa FL, Tuesday, January 17, 2017, 05:04 (2805 days ago) @ John Meeker

I've been using Remington subsonic hp but they are proving hard to find now. Looked for some CCI but none either. Gotta put in more effort before I run out for my suppressed Mk III and 10-22. Mostly armadillos and possums but there are a lot of squirrels in South Tampa!

--
Colonel, USAF (Ret)
NRA Life Member

i have yet to find a single box for sale...

by rob @, Saturday, January 28, 2017, 13:32 (2794 days ago) @ John Meeker

I have used the CB shorts though to terminate six or seven of the pests in the last two weeks and now I'm kinda depressed as I look longingly for another target of opportunity and there ain't none! I'm sure in short order they'll be moving in though.

A close friend gifted me one...

by rob @, Saturday, January 28, 2017, 13:37 (2794 days ago) @ John Meeker

Composite stock, stainless barrel, despite my many protests to the contrary after he bought a threaded version. I already have an excellent little accurized version that is scoped, so I put a set of XS sights on it to practice with ghost ring sights. I don't do well with peep sights in general but for some reason I can hit tiny targets with this takedown rifle with ease. It has become a very favorite rifle!

RSS Feed of thread