Dillon 550 question...

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, December 31, 2016, 22:15 (2822 days ago)

my 550 ram is dragging some (hopefully not galling). I've cleaned and oiled it per Dillon's video instructions but this time it's not working as well.

Anyone ever taken the ram apart? It's an older model that doesn't have the zerk style grease fittings. I'm tempted to send it back to Dillon for a good once over and upgrade. Any idea what the backlog tends to run for that? I hate being down on my only progressive press.

I can ask Dillon of course but it's the holidays and their email is running about a week behind.

I keep degreasing and flushing with light oil...

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, December 31, 2016, 22:32 (2822 days ago) @ Bryan

it's better but I still think it needs some updating and a good tear-down, which I'm not too keen on doing myself.

Yes I have.....

by Gunner @, St Louis, Saturday, December 31, 2016, 22:32 (2822 days ago) @ Bryan

After a while the ram will get gunked up with dried oil and powder residue. If wiping it down and re-oiling it doesn't smooth it up you need to drop the ram completely out, clean it really good and apply a thin coat of non sticky oil. Make sure to clean out the inside of the ram tunnel and oil all the pivot points on the linkage. Pretty simple, straight forward procedure, just a few screws and nuts and she'll come apart, just watch out for the spring under the turret, it likes to launch.

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

I was looking for a video how to. Haven't found it yet. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, December 31, 2016, 22:33 (2822 days ago) @ Gunner

-

Dillon 550 question...

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Saturday, December 31, 2016, 23:10 (2822 days ago) @ Bryan

If it is dragging as you do up and down make sure the set screw for the tool head is screwed all the way in.

IF it is dragging as you turn the too head make sure one of those little aluminum arms is not bent down and dragging on the loaded round ejection wire.

A good wash down with solvent and oiling the moving points is probably a good thing to do every once in a while, but I have not done so.

Right...all that is in good order...

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, December 31, 2016, 23:17 (2822 days ago) @ RidinLou

I've decided to try and remove the ram for a good cleaning. I'm trying to figure out how to remove the ram from the linkage arm. It's the older style without grease fittings.

Got it! Cleaning everything now. Has to help. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, December 31, 2016, 23:31 (2822 days ago) @ Bryan

-

Dillon reloading group on FB NT

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, January 01, 2017, 07:07 (2821 days ago) @ Bryan

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

the free rebuild is a good bet.nt

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, January 01, 2017, 07:24 (2821 days ago) @ Bryan

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Dillon 550 question...

by John K., Sunday, January 01, 2017, 08:23 (2821 days ago) @ Bryan

Set screw in the bottom of the ram holds the transverse pin in place.

If you remove the plate on top of the ram, it should be re-aligned with the dies. Dillon makes a simple tool for this.

The oldest ones had e-clips holding the swing arms on, the newer ones have nylock nuts. The very oldest ones from the 80s didnt even have oil holes. The upper pins in the swing arms disassemble inwards in only one sequence.

Check for cracks in the knuckle and wear in the swing arm pivot pin holes.

Dillon 550 question...

by uncowboy, Sunday, January 01, 2017, 09:28 (2821 days ago) @ John K.

Really an easy job but you do have to remove the ram. Carbonator and break cleaners are your friend when you get it apart. Get a long handle scrub brush .Dollar store toilet cleaner brush works well . When done coat the inside with 30 weight motor oil and do the same for the ram and contact points . Reassemble and you will be shocked at the little bit of effort to work your press. The restriction grows so slow you don't notice it till it is a problem. when cleaned and lubed you will have a new press again. J.Michael

Got it going again. Thanks all. Used 3 in 1 oil. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Sunday, January 01, 2017, 09:42 (2821 days ago) @ uncowboy

-

Got it going again. Thanks all. Used 3 in 1 oil. NT

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Sunday, January 01, 2017, 10:50 (2821 days ago) @ Bryan

Sometimes those light oils act as a solvent to loosen/remove accumulated gunk and provide low friction lubrication too.

I often wonder about their friction reduction compared to other lubricants.

WD40 does that

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, January 01, 2017, 20:35 (2821 days ago) @ RidinLou

I know I've read stories of WD 'gunking up' over time but I think it's really the solvent personality in it loosening up old dried up grease and oil. It's not much of a lube, but it will remove water and help clean other stuff off of metals.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

If you remove the plate on top of the ram

by anachronism, Monday, January 02, 2017, 11:11 (2820 days ago) @ John K.

John nailed it right on the head:

If you remove the plate on top of the ram, it should be re-aligned with the dies. Dillon makes a simple tool for this.

This is a very important step. Get the little tool from Dillon so you can do it right.

RSS Feed of thread