How often did Ideal/Lyman reuse mold numbers?

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, December 29, 2016, 14:35 (2824 days ago)

I'm looking at an Ideal mold numbered 429 215 and I hopped over to the Ol' Buffalo Mold chart and it bears no resemblance whatsoever to the bullet shown. The mold is round nose, plain base where the chart (and Midway and Lyman.com) show a SWC with a gas check. I recall reading that Ideal and Lyman reused numbers on occasion but was curious as to how frequently that happened.

Thanks!

I've never seen a number reused, but there are errors.....

by JD, Western Washington, Thursday, December 29, 2016, 18:30 (2824 days ago) @ Hoot

Never seen Lyman reuse a number, but I have found errors in Buffalo's tables before. I'd say it's an error in the table......

Interesting, have a look at this link.

by Murphy @, Thursday, December 29, 2016, 18:41 (2824 days ago) @ JD

As to when and why is anyone's guess.

A quick search on Google turned this up

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/temp/Ideal-Molds-1942.pdf

Scroll down to the .44 Cartridges and you will find it.

To me, all these years the #429215 Ideal and Lyman meant "Thompson" design.

Hope this helps,

Murphy

Not terribly often....

by Glen, Thursday, December 29, 2016, 20:02 (2824 days ago) @ Hoot

....but it did happen repeatedly over the years. There is a list on page 153 of the 46th edition of the Lyman Reloading Handbook of about 75 cherry numbers that are known to have been duplicated over the years. Note that these are cherry numbers and not mould numbers, and the second use of the cherry number may or may not have been the same diameter as the original (e.g. 308156 was recycled as the Thompson 358156).

Thanks guys!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, December 30, 2016, 07:42 (2823 days ago) @ Hoot

The bullet shape shown in Murphy's link is what I am seeing. It is advertised as a ".44-40 bullet" but the 429 bit made me wonder and then it got confusing from there.

For what it's worth, the GC'd bullet shown in the Buffalo table matches the shape shown as being currently for sale => https://www.midwayusa.com/product/682875/lyman-2-cavity-bullet-mold-429215-44-special-4...

RSS Feed of thread