Range report on my Hisgh Standard Sport King

by D. Sikes, Friday, December 09, 2016, 21:35 (2844 days ago)

Well guys...

looks like I have a little work to do... I did a bit of research and found that the High Standards have a FTF issue in some guns... seams the magazine lips will bend after long term use and the rounds don't present themselves properly to the chamber for proper feeding... I have on of those...

The rounds don't settle in the magazine properly... they stick and jam in the magazine and don't slide up to the lips as they should... I check the spring and it is strong and the follower is loose when no rounds are in the magazine... but after about three rounds are loaded, the rest start to cause the magazine to stick and jam... I ordered a couple of new magazines today and hope that they will correct the FTF problem and I also ordered a special magazine lip bending tool... found out that High Standard made one and issued them for this problem...

I did run it through a couple of mags worth of rounds and it does shoot accurately adn the trigger is fantastic... just have to work on the feeding problem and then all should be well...

ya'll have any thoughts on this?.. specially those who have had or do have a High Standard older model pistol (numbered lever or named lever or M100 thru M103 models, Dura-Max, etc)... the model I have is a 1951 issue "Named Lever take down" .. it's the Sport-King, 6.75" barrel, fixed sights...

any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Don Sikes

by CJM @, Friday, December 09, 2016, 21:53 (2844 days ago) @ D. Sikes

The new High Standard company down in Texas is now making magazines with properly hardened steel feed lips that are supposed to solve many of the feeding problems of the basic High Standard design. You can buy them from Brownells.

checked Brownells... out of stock... went to ebay

by D. Sikes, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 16:37 (2843 days ago) @ CJM

nt

by uncowboy, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 19:20 (2843 days ago) @ D. Sikes

Well Don as you know one in every 1000 guns are a dud and you have one. I will buy your dud for parts at $100.00 don't rush to thank me I have a few I can use the parts on. Glad to help. J.Michael

by D. Sikes, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 23:35 (2843 days ago) @ uncowboy

Hehehe... thanks for the offer but I think I'll try to salvage this one just the same... Heheh... now if you have some old Sport Kings you want to get rid of that are parts hangers... let me know... GRIN

by Catoosa, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 09:05 (2843 days ago) @ D. Sikes

Don, a friend of mine had one of those several years ago with the same problem, and asked me to see if I could fix it. I ordered a new magazine (I think from GPC) which worked well. By comparing the old mag with the new one I could see how the old one was different, and by some careful tweaking I managed to get the old mag working pretty well. I think you are on the right track.

by D. Sikes, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 23:31 (2843 days ago) @ Catoosa

Yeah... I plan to do just that... compare and see if I can get the old one to work too... with the magazine tool... I hope I can get it to work properly... but I think another problem is that I don't have any round nose standard bullet .22's... all of mine are hollow point bullets... and I wonder if that has something to do with why they are jamming inside the magazine...

Dud magazines, New acquisitions, & McGyverism's

by ERSisk @, Sunday, December 11, 2016, 18:56 (2842 days ago) @ D. Sikes

I just picked up a new Ruger Single 10 .22lr. It occurs to me a 10 round .22 stick magazine or two would make good speed loaders for field excursions. Slim profile and better than loading from a pocket full of loose rounds. Will have to start scouting for a couple of used magazines at the local gatherings of thei uh er gun dealers.

by D. Sikes, Sunday, December 11, 2016, 20:36 (2842 days ago) @ ERSisk

I've done that before... when I had an ACP cylinder for my Blackhawk I used a 1911 mag as a speed loader for it.

by Catoosa, Monday, December 12, 2016, 11:33 (2841 days ago) @ D. Sikes

I've got a period rig for my 1917 S&W that includes a 1918 marked double web pouch with two 1911 magazines. I am frequently asked why, and get a lot of grins when I do a quick reload on that big ol' revolver using the auto magazines and .45 acp ammo WITHOUT half-moon clips.:-D

RSS Feed of thread