What's your next purchase...guns, equipment or components?

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Thursday, December 08, 2016, 22:14 (2845 days ago)

I've been building up my reloading components for most of 2016 and feel like I'm in decent shape at this point. I hesitate to say I've got all of the gun purchases done but I'm in good shape there too. My current focus is getting my reloading area better organized, adding another bench and probably another Dillon (650). I've got a lot of reloading to catch up on but the components are all here.

I would also like to add a bottom pour furnace and lubesizer. I have some match rimfire lots to test in my 40x and will buy a case of that sometime. I'm curious whether there will be NFA regulation changes with the new administration so I'm holding off on a SBR and suppressor.

Those are my next purchases over the new year and first quarter. What's on your shopping list?

Hard to say.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, December 09, 2016, 05:11 (2844 days ago) @ Bryan

I know deep down that I am probably set for life (and my children's lives and..) However, undoubtedly I will stumble into yet another "Oooo, shiny!" and have to have it.

That said, I have spent the last week building a dedicated bullet shelf and moving ALL the bullet stash onto it. Many, many trips across the Dungeon from one side to the other with another 20-30 pounds of lead and copper. Finished up yesterday and it's all organized....for now.

I have been eye-balling the press mounts from InLine Fabricating and believe I will set up with those; probably the quick change version.

I need to build another bench for cleaning and repair.

Then there's the list of arms-related projects to tackle...

Casting equipment

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Friday, December 09, 2016, 06:59 (2844 days ago) @ Bryan

New mold for the 480 Ruger, and an NOE push through die setup for the 357.

Any photos of your setup?

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Friday, December 09, 2016, 07:38 (2844 days ago) @ Hoot

I like my new Inline mount. I didn't get the quick change. I'm going to build a new bench this weekend. I'm thinking about setting it up in the middle of the room so I can use all 4 sides of it...like an island.

Any photos of your setup?

by uncowboy, Friday, December 09, 2016, 08:00 (2844 days ago) @ Bryan

I myself am way behind on reloading and casting. Mainly due to my basement being converted into junk storage and complete dishevel. I have three carpentry jobs to do this winter in my house after that reloading non stop till spring. This Spring get back to shooting and get to an acceptable level of accuracy and speed. Next two handguns are the Glock 45 and 10 mm long slides with red dot cuts. J.Michael

Sounds like a plan. The 10mm long slide is interesting. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Friday, December 09, 2016, 09:42 (2844 days ago) @ uncowboy

-

No photos yet.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, December 09, 2016, 10:49 (2844 days ago) @ Bryan

Everything's all a-jumble right now and probably looks a lot like uncowboy's "junk storage". The set-up is pretty modest anyway. There's an old Pacific 007 single stage and a Lee Turret for presses. Both are mounted to 2x6's and C-clamped to the top of an old dresser with the first drawer out. That gives me some ability to load during construction.

I'll probably go buy some lighting, maybe this weekend, and secure it over the new bench location. I really should paint the walls to take advantage of the reflected light...we'll see just how ambitious I feel.

OK, I lied. Here's the (out-of-focus) bullet shelf I just finished.

[image]

No more toys...

by Brian A, Friday, December 09, 2016, 11:41 (2844 days ago) @ Bryan

Am rearranging my shop and house, getting some things finished, and trying to get some sort of control on things. Have enough projects to keep me busy for several years now. Have picked up a few things to help with organizing stuff and finishing projects, but do not intend to buy any more toys for now.

I hear you. Brass arrived today. Thanks! NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Friday, December 09, 2016, 13:55 (2844 days ago) @ Brian A

-

mostly a few components

by bj @, Friday, December 09, 2016, 15:22 (2844 days ago) @ Bryan

My focus is on NRA highpower shooting and I'm working on that equipment.

Otherwise even though there is a reasonable list of things I would like to buy, I have plenty of projects to work on with the things that I have and not enough time to do them.

BJ, will you be trying optics in High Power? NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Friday, December 09, 2016, 15:36 (2844 days ago) @ bj

-

Interesting. What's the purpose of the racks on the boards?

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Friday, December 09, 2016, 16:52 (2844 days ago) @ Hoot

-

I'm putting together a Mauser 98 from parts I've had

by Bob Hatfield @, Friday, December 09, 2016, 16:53 (2844 days ago) @ Bryan
edited by Bob Hatfield, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 05:19

laying around for years. I had a Turk 38 large ring action which is threaded for small ring barrels. Seven or eight years ago I picked up a Remington 700 308 Winchester barrel already rethreaded for the Turk action and is currently being head spaced. I already had a bent bolt. I'll set this rifle up with open sights. Seems every deer I kill wanders upon me to within 30 yards or so anyway. Got to find a stock now. Nothing in the works to buy unless I run upon something that I just got to have. Oh yeah a "Hatfield" shotgun LOL.

Bob

yes, at the next match I can attend (NT)

by bj @, Friday, December 09, 2016, 16:55 (2844 days ago) @ Bryan

nt

Sounds good. Standard 308? Love the iron sights. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Friday, December 09, 2016, 17:01 (2844 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

-

I'm curious on your optics experience at HP. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Friday, December 09, 2016, 17:04 (2844 days ago) @ bj

-

Which furnace are you using? NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Friday, December 09, 2016, 17:05 (2844 days ago) @ Dave B

-

I'll be looking for good prices on good .22 LR ammo,

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Friday, December 09, 2016, 17:45 (2844 days ago) @ Bryan

especially match stuff. I have the Ithaca Model 37 20 ga. project which will require: relocation of sight bead, shortening barrel, threading of barrel for choke tubes (Carlson) and repair/refinish of butt-stock. I have a PILE of loading to do, mostly to standardize loads. I've shot a pile of odd-ball loads I was trying or which accumulated over the years, a box here, a box there, and all that brass for the various cartridges needs to be loaded. I need to cast a BUNCH of bullets for the .45-75 and load that brass (I have about 500 pieces of brass). Yes, I need to shoot a bunch more of those odd-balls as well.

Then there are the extras I need to sell. Things like a Tenite stocked Savage 94 20 ga., some of my many snubs, etc (IF I can actually bring myself to do so).

I am really well set for components due to YEARS for planned acquisition. Much of that will be used in the loading projects.

I'd like to start regularly shooting trap this year. I need a better gun for that. I have ammo, cases, wads (maybe), shot, primers and powder.

I have other projects as well, I am digitizing/scanning enlistment documents for Virginia National Guard units for the years 1914-1918 as well as doing centennial related WWI veteran genealogies.

My seemingly sudden health problem has really cut into hunt time this fall and I would like to hunt more next year.

And then there is the wife, grandchildren, children, in-laws, etc...

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

now at age 69, i am realizing that ...........

by cable, Friday, December 09, 2016, 18:38 (2844 days ago) @ Brian A

I may not finish the 30 or 40 years of backlogged projects I already have.

I hear you. Brass arrived today. Thanks! NT

by Brian A, Friday, December 09, 2016, 19:55 (2844 days ago) @ Bryan

Hope it is everything you were hoping for.

Already have more than I can shake a stick at; trying to

by John K., Friday, December 09, 2016, 21:21 (2844 days ago) @ Bryan

finish projects I have stacked up over the last 40yrs.

Excellent. Thanks again. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Friday, December 09, 2016, 22:04 (2844 days ago) @ Brian A

-

No doubt John. Would like to talk when you get time. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Friday, December 09, 2016, 22:05 (2844 days ago) @ John K.

-

I hear you. Still in Fairbanks? NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Friday, December 09, 2016, 22:05 (2844 days ago) @ cable

-

now at age 69, i am realizing that ...........

by Brian A, Friday, December 09, 2016, 23:55 (2844 days ago) @ cable

Only a 30 to 40 year backlog? I figured mine is at least a 150 year backlog. Of course, you may work faster than I do and am only 55 years old.

Racks? Confused....

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 06:04 (2843 days ago) @ Bryan

The U of M was scrapping out a bunch of lockers from some dorm or another. Inside each of the lockers were two vinyl coated, welded wire shelves; wide on the bottom and narrow up top. I grabbed a dozen or so of each of the shelves and bolted them to the 2x6 uprights. The white is an industrial grade cardboard set on the wire face of the shelves to give a smooth surface to the shelves.

Or did I miss the point entirely?

Ok that answers my question...

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 08:08 (2843 days ago) @ Hoot

The wire sections were already attached. You didn't add them.

Thanks.

i am in anchorage....been here since 1984 !!

by cable, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 13:52 (2843 days ago) @ Bryan

problem with many of my projects is that they need a gunsmith and i drop stuff off with them and a year or two later its still not done!

That's right. I forgot and thought you were in FB. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 14:00 (2843 days ago) @ cable

-

n fame

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 15:56 (2843 days ago) @ Bryan

[image]

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Never enough N frames. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 16:46 (2843 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

-

Probably a bar of titanium.

by mcassill, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 17:59 (2843 days ago) @ Bryan

I have projects to finish, after all.

Another can? NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 18:47 (2843 days ago) @ mcassill

-

No photos yet.

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 19:55 (2843 days ago) @ Hoot

That's a bunch of bullets.

What's your next purchase...guns, equipment or components?

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 20:10 (2843 days ago) @ Bryan

A mold & sizing die for the 303 British.

Yep.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 20:25 (2843 days ago) @ Creeker

Need to get loadin' and shootin' I guess. ;-)

Two .30 cans I have stamps for. NT

by mcassill, Sunday, December 11, 2016, 20:26 (2842 days ago) @ Bryan

Two -- 1911 9mm and Model 10 snubby

by Scribe, Monday, December 12, 2016, 10:19 (2841 days ago) @ Bryan

Folks,

Traded some of my cowboy guns for the Colt and am in the process of horse trading for the Model 10, which was rode hard and put away wet. Developed the dreaded orange rash on the outside, but not its innards. A beater that I hope to rehab.

My daughter is visiting us and I hope to get her down to the range and shoot the 9mm and her first gun, a Ruger Single Six .22 (circa 1966).

Scribe

I really like the Ruger Lightweight Commander in 9mm - NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Monday, December 12, 2016, 16:35 (2841 days ago) @ Scribe

-

RSS Feed of thread