Armadillo gun

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, December 07, 2016, 17:15 (2846 days ago)

Went to deer camp this past weekend. The place is overrun with armadillos. As I closed the first gate here came a young armadillo. With all the guns I had with me, this is the only one I had loaded and it was in my pocket. It was actually very effective at about 6 ft.
[image]

i have a set of those grips.....

by Recovering Mousegunner....., Wednesday, December 07, 2016, 20:13 (2846 days ago) @ stonewalrus

magnum size but would like a long rifle sized set but he is out of material and says there is no more to be found in the near future......cvang is either the guy's name or the name of his business......

Correct - C Vang. Couldn't hit anything until I put on

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, December 07, 2016, 22:11 (2846 days ago) @ Recovering Mousegunner.....

Those grips. Tried two others and didn't like them either.

Is that the 22 mag version? NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Wednesday, December 07, 2016, 22:16 (2846 days ago) @ stonewalrus

-

Yes- very loud too! Had earplugs in my pocket too..

by stonewalrus, Thursday, December 08, 2016, 04:56 (2845 days ago) @ Bryan

Nm

That's good Tom,

by Catoosa, Thursday, December 08, 2016, 08:39 (2845 days ago) @ stonewalrus

but they probably work better if ya put 'em in yer ears.......

n.a.a. mini utility and usefulness.......

by Ray L, Thursday, December 08, 2016, 18:12 (2845 days ago) @ stonewalrus

a poster here once said he would rather be armed with a meter length of 1/2" rebar than a .22 mag. mini revolver.....

i understand the prejudice against these guns but i don't agree.....i carry a brace of these, one indexed with the first two chambers loaded with cci shot.....why the shot ?.....in warm weather snakes of course but nothing turns the attack of a large, mean dog quicker than a load of .22 mag shot square in the snout......100 + pounds of enraged chow, doberman, mastiff, pitbull, rottweiler, shepard, st. bernard or any bastardization of those can be very hard to stop with common ccw calibers but a dose of 50 gr. of the minute # 12 shot to the snout turns them each and every time

there was a demon possessed chow/rottweiler blend named black sabbath in the neighborhood who could blow-out car tires by biting through the sidewalls and had put several persons in the hospital.....he was horribly scarred from dogfights and legendly carried quite a bit of lead from fowling pieces and .22s.....my elderly mom called late one night to say the beast was under her van..... i shined a flashlight underneath to see it yawn as i pulled the trigger......a dose of rat/snake shot down its gullet sent it away......

Not my first choice but better than a sharp stick

by stonewalrus, Thursday, December 08, 2016, 18:51 (2845 days ago) @ Ray L
edited by stonewalrus, Thursday, December 08, 2016, 18:56

I wouldn't want to be shot with one. Speer makes their Gold Dot ammo in 22 mag specifically for short barrels. It sure took out the armadillo easily. There are times that is all I can get by with carrying - even works with gym shorts around the house. I have tried the 22 mag shotshells - pretty impressive at close range. I have been known to carry it fishing with shotshells and "backup" of an Airweight Smith with real bullets.

All its got to do is get me to my Truck nt

by ERSisk @, Thursday, December 08, 2016, 19:39 (2845 days ago) @ Ray L

Good point - not designed for a shootout

by stonewalrus, Thursday, December 08, 2016, 20:19 (2845 days ago) @ ERSisk

It is a get off of me gun and run for something bigger! The surprise effect of that little "noisemaker" would sure help get somebody off of you at least for a few seconds. Not saying I would fire it just to make noise of course...

Not sure about the "sharp stick" thing...

by pokynojoe, Thursday, December 08, 2016, 20:24 (2845 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I'm a whole lot better shot with my "sharp sticks" then I would be with a little gun like that! Just kid din' ya Tom.

By the way, I had to spend the last three days in Gatlinburg looking at the bridges that were damaged by the fire. It was kind of eerie, in all the years I've worked there, I've never seen it so empty. The amount of damage that fire did is devastating. Ran into a state guy checking the water supply, and thought of you. I think they're going to try and open the town up tomorrow.

So far, 14 dead and over 2400 structures damaged or destroyed. Just about every cabin and hotel up Ski Mountain Road was burned to the ground. Roaring Fork and Cherokee Orchard got hit hard too. The spur between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg was completely engulfed, it looks awful. They're starting to wind down the firefighting, but there are still hot spots in the park. It's going to take years to get everything back to normal. There's still a few parts of town they won't let anybody into.

I told my wife and RidinLou I figured you were up there

by stonewalrus, Thursday, December 08, 2016, 22:47 (2845 days ago) @ pokynojoe

I am sure it was seriously bizarre.

RSS Feed of thread