What type of organized shooting competitions interest you?

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, November 26, 2016, 11:07 (2857 days ago)

I've done some sporting clays but most of my shooting has been informal or hunting related. Plus I've lived in rural areas most of my life.

What type of organized shooting are you involved with or want to be involved with? I can't see good enough to be competitive at High Power. Rimfire benchrest and bullseye are interesting to me but seem to be losing national interest. Would like to do some rimfire and cowboy silhouette. 3 gun and action pistol seem popular around here (Dallas/Ft Worth). There's some F class around here also. I need to get to some events to watch and meet the locals.

Lately

by Drago, Saturday, November 26, 2016, 11:16 (2857 days ago) @ Bryan

I've been involved with air gun field target shooting.

What equipment are you using?

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, November 26, 2016, 11:20 (2857 days ago) @ Drago

Those rifles can be extremely precise. They are pretty interesting.

What equipment are you using?

by Drago, Saturday, November 26, 2016, 11:35 (2857 days ago) @ Bryan

Air Arms TX 200 .177 with a Millett TRS-1 4-16X51 mil-dot scope.

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Saturday, November 26, 2016, 14:09 (2857 days ago) @ Bryan

When I lived in Coppell, we had some good action pistol matches at the Dallas revolver and Pistol club just down the street from me. Don't know if they are still there but was a good club for pistol shooting. Three gun would interest me if I were younger; now days I shoot SASS matches (old style 4 gun) in Ohio. I like bench rifle but the eyes don't cooperate well.

Rimfire silhoutte. FA 252 w/Leupold 4X

by ERSisk @, Saturday, November 26, 2016, 15:46 (2857 days ago) @ Bryan

Too old and slow for all the run and gun games. Used to shoot 3-gun before 3-gun was hot and IPSC for several years in the 80's Regularly meet with a few guys at the local indoor range for plinking and BS'ing.

"Too old and slow for all the run and gun games."

by cas, Saturday, November 26, 2016, 17:45 (2857 days ago) @ ERSisk
edited by cas, Saturday, November 26, 2016, 17:49

https://youtu.be/TAs8NDr8SnU

I don't know if he shot any matches this year, I wasn't around much. The last match I know he shot for sure was last year, the "Band Of Brothers" match, shooting his M1 Garand. (at 92)

Impressive. His hands were steady too. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, November 26, 2016, 17:57 (2857 days ago) @ cas

-

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Saturday, November 26, 2016, 18:25 (2857 days ago) @ Bryan

He is great.

My hands would not be so steady.

by cas, Saturday, November 26, 2016, 18:29 (2857 days ago) @ Cherokee

He may be slow, but he was by far the most accurate guy in the match. If any of his hits were's in the A zone, he'd be disappointed. And without fail there would be one or two targets per stage where you could cover both holes with one paster.

Very cool. What's his background? NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, November 26, 2016, 18:39 (2857 days ago) @ cas

-

Other than this, I don't really know.

by cas, Saturday, November 26, 2016, 21:07 (2857 days ago) @ Bryan

Oh wow. That's the author? Do you like the book? NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, November 26, 2016, 21:09 (2857 days ago) @ cas

-

Oh wow. That's the author? Do you like the book? NT

by cas, Saturday, November 26, 2016, 21:16 (2857 days ago) @ Bryan

Several of my friends have copies and have been to talks he's done with other vets. I've never seen the book myself.

When I was shooting pins and combat compatition;

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, November 27, 2016, 08:29 (2856 days ago) @ cas

We had a grand old man inj our club. Bruce Raymond: Growing up in Lewistown, Montana,He was Ed McGivern's neighbor. He learned to shoot in Ed's garage and fight in Uncle Sam's Army... the Campaign on New Guinea honed his skills.
He shot the first 686+ I saw and the first 4006... He loved old Colt and S&W Target pistols... He shot very well...[image]

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Sweet. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Sunday, November 27, 2016, 12:43 (2856 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

-

by MR, 'bout 5 miles south of you., Saturday, November 26, 2016, 15:59 (2857 days ago) @ Bryan

Ask about competitions at Alamo Precision Rifles on the East corner of 820 and Hwy 10 in Hurst.
Nice guys.

I'm not familiar with that shop. Thanks...

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, November 26, 2016, 19:37 (2857 days ago) @ MR

Have you bought from them or worked with them?

NRA Highpower Rifle these days

by bj @, Saturday, November 26, 2016, 19:03 (2857 days ago) @ Bryan

I got into highpower rifle at a club where I would go visit so I still go up there and shoot occasionally. I like the challenge and visiting my friends. Highpower rifle is predominately an open sight game, or at least it was, and it mixes precision with supporting the rifle using your own bones and muscles. There is some enjoyment involved but it is mostly a personal challenge.

I've participated in other types of shooting in the past- airpistol, trap, NRA hunter pistol silhouette, IHMSA silhouette, NAA indoor and outdoor archery, and NFAA field archery. NAA archery is a lot like highpower rifle, it takes a lot of concentration and precision. The competitions that I liked the most were IHMSA silhouette and NFAA field archery. IHMSA has all but completely disappeared but there is still some field archery around. I keep thinking that one of these days I will get a new bow and get back into that, but it takes a lot of time for practice.

Back to highpower rifle- it requires good eyesight and now that a lot of competitors are getting older and having a harder time competing, CMP is beginning to allow optical sights. So that is something for you to consider. I have yet to try it with optical sights but I will as soon as I can.

I wasn't aware of optics being an option in HP...

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, November 26, 2016, 19:41 (2857 days ago) @ bj

thanks for the info.

Archery you say? I haven't done any competitive archery but in years past, I enjoyed hunting with my compound. What I really enjoy shooting is my custom longbow but I haven't hunted it yet. Target archery is an interesting sport...very serious shooters out there that can do amazing things.

archery story

by bj @, Saturday, November 26, 2016, 21:57 (2857 days ago) @ Bryan

I'm a member of a local private range, years before I joined their range was next to an archery range. At some point in time someone challenged someone else to an informal contest. After the contest a couple of the pistol guys were at their car in the parking lot talking about how they didn't know that the archery guys were that good, when a couple of the archery guys walked by talking among themselves and the pistol shooters overheard them saying that they didn't have any idea that the pistol shooters were that good.

Since I've had experience in both, I believe that a good archer using olympic style equipment is closely matched with a good shooter shooting offhand with a good handgun. Back when I shot a lot of arrows and was pretty good, I've shot in indoor tournaments where I put 60 arrows in a 3" circle at 20 yards. I've seen people with compounds who could keep 60 shots in 1.5" circle at 20 yards. It takes a real good handgun to do that out of a machine rest, much less being held and aimed by a human.

In college and out of college I did a lot of archery, but it took a lot of time too and I eventually got away from it. I can not shoot a handgun for awhile and still do well with it but if I didn't shoot a bow for awhile then I couldn't hit anything. It would take a lot of practice to get to the point where I could click and start shooting well.

60 arrows into 3" at that range is impressive...

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, November 26, 2016, 22:02 (2857 days ago) @ bj

I've never spent that much time but it's a great sport. I would get the occasional robin hood and when it's the longbow that's cool...until you think about the cost of good arrows. Oh well. I love archery.

its a relaxing sport for me

by bj @, Saturday, November 26, 2016, 22:06 (2857 days ago) @ Bryan

I could go out to the archery range and be by myself. I could shoot arrows for an hour or two and forget about all of the problems of normal life. This is one of the few activities I have found that work that well for me.

CMP rule changes at this link...

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, November 26, 2016, 19:50 (2857 days ago) @ bj

optics in highpower

by bj @, Saturday, November 26, 2016, 22:02 (2857 days ago) @ Bryan

I think the rule changes are somewhat experimental. One goal is to attract more people to the game, people that have optics on their guns. The other goal is to help older people still be able to shoot. The fact that most of the military uses optics now probably figures into it too. When the USAMU decided to take up the AR15 platform it was because they were the only people in the Army still using the M14. They wanted to align with what the soldiers were using. I think a similar thing is happening WRT optics.

There are a lot of restrictions on the optics so you won't put a benchrest scope on so you can zero in on the X-ring. Strangely enough a standard crosshair reticle isn't optimum for a round black aiming spot. And since most highpower matches are shot from 200 yards to 600 yards the optics have to have good repeatable and reliable adjustments. With these requirements there are almost no commercial products that work. A couple of companies are bringing out specialized products but they are very expensive.

Air power rules here...

by Paul ⌂, Monday, November 28, 2016, 06:33 (2855 days ago) @ bj

due to the ever more restrictive firearms rules/laws. Our gun club just purchased a new property to replace the one we sold a couple years back. We're still in the building stage and it will likely be the shotgun crowd (mostly Sporting Clays) that will carry the burden of keeping the gate open for the immediate future, but they're the money folk anyway. It's airpower that is the future of shooting as it's where kids can get involved and (currently) there are few restrictions on the rifles and ammo.

Field Target is a growing sport here, with about three officially recognized clubs across the country and several more that are affiliated with the national ruling body but not yet recognized by local governments. I've got an AirArms ProSport in .177 and a 3-12X44 scope. The rifle has been downtuned to around 12 FPE level (from its original US level of around 14-15 fpe) using a Jim Maccari kit. VERY sweet shooting, but haven't had much opportunity to work on my proficiency with it yet.

The other sport recognized by the association is Air Rifle Benchrest. We're not near the level of competition that exists up in the USA, but we've some fairly decent shooters considering how little experience there is in this country with precision shooting. I'm cogitating on what kind of PCP to pick up to press into service for this branch of the shooting sports. Dreaming of some high end rifles like Mac1's custom built works of art, but will probably end up with something like the Hatsan Nova that just hit the market.

Air power is interesting. The precision is amazing. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Monday, November 28, 2016, 07:56 (2855 days ago) @ Paul

-

Curious if any here do Bullseye or rimfire benchrest?

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, November 26, 2016, 19:59 (2857 days ago) @ Bryan

I have a fantastic benchrest rimfire setup (custom 40x rimfire, Weaver 36x, 2 oz Jewell, tuner, etc) but I'm still looking for the best place to play.

For Bullseye, I've got a nice S&W 41 but still looking for a good 45 setup. Considered getting a Les Baer wadcutter gun but haven't decided yet what I want to do.

I shoot rimfire benchrest...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, November 26, 2016, 22:37 (2857 days ago) @ Bryan

Because my wife "made" me. Seriously, she said I had to shoot more and I wanted to do more with the club of which I'm a member. So I started helping with running the matches, scoring targets and so forth and got "forced" into buying a rifle, etc... I'm more interested in older rifles so I shoot a Winchester 52C with a Weaver T36. Mostly I shoot Wolf Match Extra. I'm really competing with myself because I'm simply not usually competitive with the $5000+ equipment. I still have lots of fun.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

52s are awesome. I would love to see your setup...

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, November 26, 2016, 23:54 (2857 days ago) @ Hobie

I will get a photo of mine. It's new to me and I'm enjoying learning it.

What type of rimfire bench rest matches do you shoot? There isn't as much available here in DFW as I hoped for.

Here's my 40x rimfire setup...

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Sunday, November 27, 2016, 08:15 (2856 days ago) @ Bryan

[image]

Here's my 40x rimfire setup...

by Otony, Sunday, November 27, 2016, 09:22 (2856 days ago) @ Bryan

What brand of tuner is that?

Otony

Setup info...

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Sunday, November 27, 2016, 12:40 (2856 days ago) @ Otony

Lilja 1-17 twist barrel and Harrell Tuner w/ weight. Action is a Remington 40x custom shop ( R suffix) with a Jewell 2oz trigger. 10 1/2# weight with a Weaver T36.

I guess I need to take a photo...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, November 27, 2016, 10:08 (2856 days ago) @ Bryan

We shoot 2 cards of 25 targets, 1 shot per target at 50-yards, outdoors. Wind is ALWAYS an "issue" at our range. We will usually have 12-20 competitors at our club matches which are NOT sanctioned matches and on Sundays. We have 2 "classes", "factory" and "unlimited". We are likely going to add a "sporter" or "10/22" class.

We have another club which uses our range on Saturdays, they are the IR 50/50 guys. They use very nearly the same targets, are sanctioned by their group and have a nationals competition. That particular club has some fine shooters with many/most matches determined by X-count on perfect targets. They also shoot 6 cards per match. You can see all their rules at http://www.ir5050.com/ .

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I would love to do 50/50 but they don't have a club here.

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Sunday, November 27, 2016, 12:42 (2856 days ago) @ Hobie

I'm really surprised by that. Nothing in DFW that I can find and not that many sanctioned rimfire benchrest matches here. I've been shocked by that. If I drive 3-4 hours into the sticks then I can find the matches. Really? Why not in DFW with millions of people and many ranges. So odd.

Arlington Sportsmans Club has...

by rob @, Sunday, November 27, 2016, 11:09 (2856 days ago) @ Bryan

Regular rimfire benchrest matches. I'm not sure when they do it but it's a set day like every third Saturday or some-such. You could just google the club name and the web site will come up. It won't be a long drive for you being off Broad Street in Mansfield.

That's the one club that might have what I want...

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Sunday, November 27, 2016, 12:44 (2856 days ago) @ rob

I've been reading their website. I see lots of silhouette matches around but very little sanctioned benchrest rimfire. Very odd to me.

Have never heard of rimfire benchrest...

by Brian A, Thursday, December 01, 2016, 21:38 (2852 days ago) @ Hobie

Though am a big fan of 52's and rimfire target rifles in general. Some people think I am a bit eccentric for carrying a 14 lbs HB 52 w/ 15X Lyman Super Target Spot around the woods for squirrels. Would enjoy seeing pics of your 52 setup.

mine is a 40x rimfire bench rest rifle...here it is...

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Thursday, December 01, 2016, 21:48 (2852 days ago) @ Brian A

[image]

Remington 40x 22lr Benchrest rifle w / Lilja 1-17 twist barrel and Harrell Tuner w/ weight. Action is a Remington 40x custom shop ( R suffix) with a Jewell 2oz trigger. Weaver 36T scope and Kelby base/rings.

Weighs 10.5 lbs with scope. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Thursday, December 01, 2016, 22:25 (2852 days ago) @ Bryan

-

Weighs 10.5 lbs with scope. NT

by Brian A, Friday, December 02, 2016, 13:11 (2851 days ago) @ Bryan

Looks like an excellent set-up. Have always heard very good things about the 40X rifles, but have never owned or shot one. Over the years have had quite a few, from a Win 57, to several 52's, to a Walther Olympic, and a couple others. Never had anything quite as high tech as yours though, mine were all old school, most pre-WWII.

The 52s are amazing...love the 52T variations. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Friday, December 02, 2016, 16:49 (2851 days ago) @ Brian A

-

Have shot several in the past...

by Brian A, Monday, November 28, 2016, 11:15 (2855 days ago) @ Bryan

Started with indoor 22 rifle as a teenager. Then shot some skeet and trap in high school, when I worked at a local range. Got involved with high power when first moving to my current location. Played around with indoor 22 bullseye for a season. Did some cowboy action for a couple years. Life, finances, situations, always got in the way, mostly finances.

I would love to do some silhouette shooting, and there are several competitions near me each year, but between match fees and ammunition costs, it is just beyond my means to play any of them any more. For several years I shot 22 pistol daily at home, started out with a 25 rds/day, then got down the 5 rds/day as prices went up, now for the last few years with the ammunition shortage, have gotten down to maybe 5 rds/wk and with my new business have not shot anything in months. Am hoping it continues to do well and I can afford to start shooting again.

I hope your biz thrives under the new administration. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Monday, November 28, 2016, 18:54 (2855 days ago) @ Brian A

-

I hope your biz thrives under the new administration. NT

by Brian A, Wednesday, November 30, 2016, 08:10 (2853 days ago) @ Bryan

Thank you, this year was a pleasant surprise. Way more work than anticipated and the most income in many years. The downside was it required me to be away from home for most of the last six months, often living in motel rooms in another state.

Bryan, was it you I was scrounging for LC '06 brass for? I am back home now.

Yes that was me on the LC brass. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Wednesday, November 30, 2016, 08:52 (2853 days ago) @ Brian A

-

Yes that was me on the LC brass. NT

by Brian A, Wednesday, November 30, 2016, 10:53 (2853 days ago) @ Bryan

Are you still looking for some?

Yes, would like to have some more. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Wednesday, November 30, 2016, 11:02 (2853 days ago) @ Brian A

-

Yes, would like to have some more. NT

by Brian A, Thursday, December 01, 2016, 21:31 (2852 days ago) @ Bryan

I believe you were looking for 500? I have some that had the bullets pulled and powder dumped, so is unfired and still factory primed, though fairly dirty from handling. I also have some once fired from my high power days that was shot in a Garand.

Sounds perfect. Let's talk on email. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Thursday, December 01, 2016, 21:32 (2852 days ago) @ Brian A

-

Sounds perfect. Let's talk on email. NT

by Brian A, Friday, December 02, 2016, 13:14 (2851 days ago) @ Bryan

Don't think I have your email. Mine is dodgum and can be sent through yahoo.

email sent...let me know if you don't receive it - NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Friday, December 02, 2016, 14:46 (2851 days ago) @ Brian A

-

email sent...let me know if you don't receive it - NT

by Brian A, Saturday, December 03, 2016, 11:29 (2850 days ago) @ Bryan

Reply sent.

Cowboy action shooting

by Scribe, Tuesday, November 29, 2016, 12:54 (2854 days ago) @ Bryan

Been a SASS member since 1991.

Currently shooting a brace of Colt Buntline Specials, Marlin .357 carbine, and '97 Winchester (circa 1956).

Picked up a Clean Shoot award in October at the NJ SASS State Championship; one of 10 out of 150 shootists to do so.

Scribe

Nice. Why did you go with the Buntlines? NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Tuesday, November 29, 2016, 12:56 (2854 days ago) @ Scribe

-

Ultimately, the cool factor

by Scribe, Wednesday, November 30, 2016, 10:19 (2853 days ago) @ Bryan

I am the only shootist in the region who uses two Buntlines. Love the way they look. Accurate, if not exactly speedy.

Scribe

Definitely cool. Slower to present but awesome sight plane.

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Wednesday, November 30, 2016, 11:02 (2853 days ago) @ Scribe

-

Plus lots of good-natured ribbing ...

by Scribe, Thursday, December 01, 2016, 07:39 (2852 days ago) @ Bryan

about those "hand rifles." "All you have to do is poke the target with your barrel to hit it."

And holding those Buntlines (Second and Third Generations) are a pair of custom Simply Rugged Cattleman holsters.

Scribe

No doubt. Any photos? NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Thursday, December 01, 2016, 07:58 (2852 days ago) @ Scribe

-

I am totally illiterate, photo-wise

by Scribe, Friday, December 02, 2016, 11:23 (2851 days ago) @ Bryan

I usually have my tech savvy daughter post photos online for me, like over at the Fedora Lounge (I'm a hat person, wear one every day).

My photos just show my costuming: silk top hat, claw hammer tail frock coat, pinstriped trousers, etc. but no guns.

The Buntlines extend downward quite a bit and are s-l-o-w coming out and going back in the holsters. I am also known for my knives, which tend to have blades at least 10 inches long.

Scribe

What kind of blades do you carry? NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Friday, December 02, 2016, 16:50 (2851 days ago) @ Scribe

-

by Joe0812, Wednesday, November 30, 2016, 00:35 (2854 days ago) @ Bryan

Does shooting blanks count? Do cowboy mounted shooting.

Lots of moving parts...any photos? NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Wednesday, November 30, 2016, 14:18 (2853 days ago) @ Joe0812

-

Hope it shows

by Joe0812, Wednesday, November 30, 2016, 23:58 (2853 days ago) @ Bryan

Link works. How long have you been into that? NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Thursday, December 01, 2016, 06:28 (2852 days ago) @ Joe0812

-

About 6 - 7 yrs. NT

by joe0812, Thursday, December 01, 2016, 15:57 (2852 days ago) @ Bryan

Giddy-up!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, December 02, 2016, 09:28 (2851 days ago) @ Joe0812

That's a great picture!

by Mark, Thursday, December 08, 2016, 17:54 (2845 days ago) @ Bryan

IDPA here. There is not much running so that works for me. There are A LOT of rules but it keeps the race guns out of the game. Also, here in NY we are limited to 10 round mags and IDPA limits autos to 10 round mags (at the most).
I sure wish we had a place willing to shoot pins.

Which gun do you prefer for IDPA? NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Friday, December 09, 2016, 17:06 (2844 days ago) @ Mark

-

Which gun do you prefer for IDPA? NT

by Mark, Monday, December 19, 2016, 16:46 (2834 days ago) @ Bryan

Sorry missed this somehow.
My go to guns are the Glock 17 and S&W Model 66 (shooting 38's). I shoot the Glock in the Service Stock Pistol class (most popular class around here). IDPA changed recently and all revolvers pretty much shoot the same class. I have always used the M66 but revolver shoots are getting rare in this game.

RSS Feed of thread