Made meat today at our annual turkey shoot

by Bob Hatfield @, Saturday, November 05, 2016, 16:47 (2878 days ago)

[image]

We shoot at an X drawn with an inkpen on an index card offhand at 25 yards. Round ball flint or percussion.

by Ken ONeill, Saturday, November 05, 2016, 17:52 (2878 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

Alvin York!

by uncowboy, Saturday, November 05, 2016, 18:07 (2878 days ago) @ Ken ONeill

Good shootin Congrats.

Way to go!

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, November 05, 2016, 18:33 (2878 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

That is great!

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Saturday, November 05, 2016, 18:50 (2878 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

I miss my adopted smokepole.

Not an easy shot. What's the details on that rifle? NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Saturday, November 05, 2016, 20:50 (2878 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

-

Not an easy shot. What's the details on that rifle? NT

by Bob Hatfield @, Sunday, November 06, 2016, 05:04 (2877 days ago) @ Bryan

Ohio style, 13/16ths .45 caliber 44 inch Douglas barrel. Davis percussion squirrel lock, 35 grains of 3f Swiss and a .445 Lyman round ball patched in .021 inch canvas. Unknown maker but whoever it was really did a fine job on the wood and engraving.
I rescued it from a pawn shop and re-breeched it by making a chambered breech since the barrel walls are so thin. I had to bed the barrel at the rear and at each tenon and replace the sights. That is the best looking piece of tiger maple I have ever saw.

Bob

It looks fantastic. Nice save. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Sunday, November 06, 2016, 07:16 (2877 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

-

I would love to have something similar to yours...

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Sunday, November 06, 2016, 17:12 (2877 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

I don't have an in-depth knowledge of them but I've wanted something similar for a long time. Any advice on where to look and what to look for (or stay away from)?

I would love to have something similar to yours...

by Bob Hatfield @, Monday, November 07, 2016, 17:36 (2876 days ago) @ Bryan

A quality builder is a must. A stock with the grain such as this one is about $350 at the least. A quality barrel like a "Rice" or Getz would be another $250. Lock, triggers and various parts will run it up close to $200 more. Then there is the labor. Extras such as the raised relief carving and the engraving of the metal parts such as the patchbox and other little parts sure isn't cheap. Labor in a rifle such as this would be probably twice as much as the parts. The engraving sure doesn't make it shoot any better. I actually prefer poor boy southern rifles with iron furniture and no fluff. Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading would be a good place to start for a good basic custom rifle.

http://www.tennesseevalleymuzzleloading.com/

Bob

by cr., Sunday, November 06, 2016, 07:24 (2877 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

Congrats on the fine shooting and hot diggetty but that rifle gun is purty!

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Sunday, November 06, 2016, 08:40 (2877 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

Very nice rifle, where is this shoot?

by Bob Hatfield @, Sunday, November 06, 2016, 15:30 (2877 days ago) @ Creeker

Kate Carpenter Muzzleloading club is an NMLRA club near Sam Black Church WV. We have monthly matches and occasionally hold NMLRA territorial matches. The meat shoot is the first Saturday in November each year. Had close to 40 from around the state and some from Virginia at the meat shoot. If your ever interested let me know. Our monthly matches are each 3rd Saturday. We shoot black powder trap also. Dues are $50 a year with the first 5 matches free plus use of the range year round. It is only a 100 yard range but is a really neat place and you often have it to yourself. Its about 2 miles from the Sam Black Church exit. We have a club picnic in July.

Bob

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Sunday, November 06, 2016, 16:02 (2877 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

Think I spoke to someone about this when I signed up for the Clear Creek Hunting Club.

Great picture Bob!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, November 07, 2016, 10:35 (2876 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

Good shooting. Love that rifle as well.

Great picture Bob!

by Bob Hatfield @, Monday, November 07, 2016, 17:27 (2876 days ago) @ Hoot

[image]

Here is what we shoot at. The younger guys can see the "X". Us older guys have to use a spot. I like using these shoot n see spots as you can tell if it is a good shot after the smoke clears you see green instead of black. This card is about 4 inches square.

Bob

Good shooting. NT

by Bryan ⌂, Ft Worth, TX, Monday, November 07, 2016, 23:38 (2876 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

-

RSS Feed of thread