Will Rogers Ft Worth gunshow wasn't interesting at all...

by Bryan @, Saturday, October 01, 2016, 15:20 (2913 days ago)

I don't know what it is but sometimes these gunshows are just not that good. Granted it's not a huge show...800 tables...but there just wasn't much there. It was mostly cheap knives, jerky, fudge, AR parts and junk guns. Hardly anything noteworthy unless you're shopping for a Glock or pink Kel-Tec. The only gun there of real interest to me was a Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless. Priced way out of line with its condition but still a neat gun. The rest of the show...not worth discussing unless you want a good price on a set of queen bedsheets.

Oh...and almost NO powder! 2 tables had primers and no tables of powder. Ridiculous.

800 tables and no powder? Our showsmight have 200-250

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, October 01, 2016, 16:56 (2913 days ago) @ Bryan

tables. The last one had 5 dealers in powder and you could get just about anything, for less, mostly, than MSRP.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I thought it was very odd. Check this out...

by Bryan @, Saturday, October 01, 2016, 17:26 (2913 days ago) @ Hobie

Not a single canister above 1# on any table...and very few cans of powder at all. Maybe a dozen single pound cans spread across 800 tables. I did see some rimfire ammo (overpriced especially since it's in stock at Cabelas and Bass Pro). There were some primers but no great deals. They were all $28-35 per 1000 and only a couple tables had bulk primers and not great selections. Lots of brass there but I wasn't looking for any.

I was hoping for one of those big kegs of 296 or H110 but nada.

Will Rogers Ft Worth gunshow wasn't interesting at all...

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Saturday, October 01, 2016, 17:39 (2913 days ago) @ Bryan

Disappointing...when I lived there in the 80's, it was a great show. I guess things have changed. Up here we have powder and primers aplenty, but not below MSRP.

I hadn't been in a long time since I just moved back...

by Bryan @, Saturday, October 01, 2016, 18:28 (2913 days ago) @ Cherokee

last year. I was definitely disappointed. No collectors tables either that I saw, which surprised me. Usually you will see a Ruger or Colt or S&W guy displaying something cool. No cool single shot rifles...no English guns that I could see...lots of badly sporterized rifles. Oh well.

Gun Shows: They sure aren't what they use to be.

by Murphy @, Saturday, October 01, 2016, 22:24 (2913 days ago) @ Bryan

It seems the past 10-15 years, gun shows in general have been going down hill. At least, that's been my experience in the more rural area. I attended the big Tulsa show last fall and it was good, as usual. But, it was nothing like the first one I attended probably 20 years ago.

I have a relative who attends them very regular within a 200 mile radius and has for decades now. We live in a tri-state area (OK/AR/TX). He's been disappointed more than happy these past 6-8 years. Of course everyone is looking for something different than the next guy I reckon when they walk through the door of a gun show.

My experience with most shows within 60-70 miles of our area has been pretty sad as well. In short, more like a flea market with some way over priced guns thrown in. Call me pessimistic, but I have a feeling deep down that a lot of vendors are waiting to see what happens with the upcoming election. But, that's just me.

Good luck on your search for supplies and those good ole' guns we grew up with.

Murphy

The Tulsa Wanemacher show is the best I've ever seen. NT

by Bryan @, Saturday, October 01, 2016, 22:33 (2913 days ago) @ Murphy

-

Gun Shows: They sure aren't what they use to be.

by ~JM~, Saturday, October 01, 2016, 23:18 (2913 days ago) @ Murphy

I attended one the other week-end. First time I ever went to this groups show. Cost $3 to enter. Looked at everything there was to see & some things twice. Figure my entry fee worked out to about $1 per 10 minutes before I was done & left. I believe I was the youngest person there. Most likely this show will no longer exist in 5-7 years.

~JM~

This show was $8 and $10 to park. NT

by Bryan @, Saturday, October 01, 2016, 23:34 (2913 days ago) @ ~JM~

-

This show was $8 and $10 to park.

by ~JM~, Saturday, October 01, 2016, 23:44 (2913 days ago) @ Bryan

The only other show in this area costs about the same. About 3/4's of the way through, it turns into an arts & crafts fair.

~JM~

Same here - seems like more cheap armchair commando

by stonewalrus, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 06:32 (2913 days ago) @ Murphy

Junk in my local area.

We have two main outfits here in MN along with a couple of..

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 10:18 (2913 days ago) @ Bryan

"once a year" shows. The Minnesota Weapons Collectors Association puts on a good show and works hard to prohibit the 'garage sale vendors'. Oddly, while they allow primers and live ammo, they do not allow powder sales. The other venue has been going steadily downhill for several years. They tend to be a 15 minute show, but only if one makes a couple of passes. The only redeeming value is it is an excuse to go to breakfast with Dad.

The 'once a year' fellows are usually pretty good as they are different vendors than the junk show guys. It gives a fellow a chance to see some new bits and you'll never know what will pop up.

RSS Feed of thread