The call of the dark side

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 07:35 (4374 days ago)

Don't know if it's all the recent "I'm getting an EBR" posts or if it's merely the insanity of impending middle age creeping up on me, but either way thoughts of a bottom feeding implement of leaden projectile dispensing have invaded my thoughts. Most folks seem to be looking at these instruments as "short barreled, kick down the door and lay out some suppressing fire" implements. Me? Yeah, I look at them different, more along the lines of a "10-22 on steroids".

The 5.56/223 Remington has never been known as a powerhouse round (yes, Byron, I know they kill deer fine) and it would benefit more from higher velocity than lower. So the idea that's has been percolating in my mind is the idea of an AR based RIFLE (not carbine) more along the lines of a reach out and touch something than an in your face blast 'em tool.

Perusing various sites lead me to Model 1 Sales. They've got a variety of "kits" that only lack a stripped lower receiver, and at what appear to be fairly reasonable prices. The one that has drawn my attention is the one linked here . A 24" barrel to milk all the FPS out of the round possible, 8" rate of twist to allow use of heavier projectiles, change their buttstock to an adjustable one so that persons of more humble stature might also use the implement, add a decent scope and (of course) a lower receiver and it would appear that one would then have on hand an implement capable of long range shooting (within the capabilities of the round, it is no 50 BMG nor even 338 Lapua).

So, to those who've managed to make it thus far through my rambling piece of tying, is anyone offering a similar rifle in a full build instead of kit? How would you rate the Model 1 kits? What would you change in the setup linked above?

This is mostly at this point a mental exercise. Methought that this fall there would be a bit of $ in the fund for such an investment, but the bike needed an overhaul and there went the funds. Still, I'm intrigued by the idea. Any feedback on it would be appreciated.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread