380 Auto

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Saturday, September 24, 2016, 15:23 (2920 days ago)

Never owned one but do now. Like very thing else I carry, I'll learn to shoot it first.

[image]

I do believe you only have to empty all that brass one time

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, September 24, 2016, 17:55 (2920 days ago) @ Creeker

to have more experience with the cartridge and pistol than 99% of the LCP owners out there. Empty them twice and you'll be in the most experienced .1-percentile. I would like to hear about your experiences.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

"Why, I still have half the box of bullets, I bought with it

by John Meeker @, Saturday, September 24, 2016, 18:12 (2920 days ago) @ Hobie

, true stories from the working side of the gun counter.

We had a guy bring back the gun he'd carried for 2 years,

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, September 24, 2016, 18:33 (2920 days ago) @ John Meeker

TWO YEARS, with the full box of ammo he bought with it. He had trouble pulling back the slide to verify it had been cleared.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

When I went to my carry class there were 3 with brand new

by stonewalrus, Saturday, September 24, 2016, 19:55 (2920 days ago) @ Hobie

Pistols. Of course they had break in issues!

When I went to my carry class there were 3 with brand new

by Paul ⌂, Saturday, September 24, 2016, 21:24 (2920 days ago) @ stonewalrus

You never know for sure. Just for grins I took the brand new Shield to carry class last summer. The first rounds out of it were two varieties of carry ammo, Hornady Critical Defense and ... can't recall the other load. Shot a perfect score on the target (not hard with MO's requirements as lax as they are) and no feeding or other issues. I DID have the S$W Model 10 for backup in case there were issues with the pistol, but was pleasantly surprised at how well it did right from the start. I also had some ammo to use in the instructor's loaner pistol if push came to shove, but no need. That little popper ran smoothly all summer and I'm sure it'll pick up where it left off next time we're up north. But the 44 spl and 38 spl were still the "go to" pistols for most of the summer - they've long since earned that place but have to occasionally share it with the new kid on the block.

Were the "break in issues" actually the pistols' fault, or were there issues with limp wristing and other operator errors?

I would not be surprised if it was more operator error eith

by stonewalrus, Sunday, September 25, 2016, 06:31 (2920 days ago) @ Paul
edited by stonewalrus, Sunday, September 25, 2016, 06:37

People not familiar with semi automatics. They were also "spraying" rather than a decent cadence - there was no time requirement! It has been rare for me to have malfunctions as well but several pistols I bought were used and already broken in. My son did have a Charles Daley Hi Power with issues the first box of ammo. Trigger stopped working. I did have a Taurus Millenium that wouldn't shoot for sour apples - turned out to be a bad barrel but it would still have passed a carry class. Didn't like lefties either - sometimes the magazine release would get set off (I have now reversed the release).

A little story

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Saturday, September 24, 2016, 18:38 (2920 days ago) @ John Meeker

I watched the Chief Deputy of a county that will remain unnamed, purchase a brand new auto pistol, walk to the unoccupied corner of the gun shop, hand chamber a round, load the magazine & holster said arm. I'm thinking I must waste a bunch of ammo. I like to put 500 of what I'm going to carry & maybe a 1000 through the gun to be sure I know it. I will admit though I'm a slow learner.

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Saturday, September 24, 2016, 18:21 (2920 days ago) @ Hobie

I picked up a 1000 pieces of brass & 500 Magtech 85 gr. JHP bullets. I think Red Dot will manage these just fine. I also have a RCBS 38-90-RN mould so I plan to shoot the little gun enough to learn it well & be sure it will function.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/322645/rcbs-2-cavity-bullet-mold-38-090-rn-38-caliber-...

I bought one for me and one for my biz partner...

by Bryan @, Saturday, September 24, 2016, 21:28 (2920 days ago) @ Creeker

we need to shoot them more and I need to reload for it. Thx for the reminder.

They are nice carry guns. You will like it.

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Saturday, September 24, 2016, 18:27 (2920 days ago) @ Hobie

Along with the gun I purchased a box of Hornady Critical Defense 90 gr. FTX & they gave me a 50 pack of Blazer 95 gr. FMJ. I'm in to squirrel season now & will probably bow/deer hunt so it may be a few days before I get after this project.

[image]

by Paul ⌂, Saturday, September 24, 2016, 21:17 (2920 days ago) @ Creeker

That Critical Defense in 9mm shot well out of my S$W Shield last summer. Punched through the paper just fine, no issues. Hope to never have to test on anything tougher.

An LCP will hurt if you shoot it alot

by Bob Hatfield @, Sunday, September 25, 2016, 11:17 (2920 days ago) @ Creeker

They are not comfortable plinkers. Change the grip to a Hogue. Not the sleeve but the one that you have to install. It repositions the way it is held and is much more comfortable to shoot.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1151194422/hogue-handall-slip-on-grip-sleeve-for-ruger...

Bob

Doggone, Bob, do I have to buy a pink one?

by Otony, Sunday, September 25, 2016, 20:27 (2919 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

Although I'm sure my daughter would like it!:-D

Otony

Only if you want to be stylish LOL ntxt

by Bob Hatfield @, Monday, September 26, 2016, 17:20 (2918 days ago) @ Otony

n

didn't know there was a Hogue grip for LCP - Thanks!

by stonewalrus, Sunday, September 25, 2016, 21:12 (2919 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

Nm

didn't know there was a Hogue grip for LCP - Thanks!

by Bob Hatfield @, Monday, September 26, 2016, 17:20 (2918 days ago) @ stonewalrus

You have to take off a pin out of the frame at the top and replace it with a longer one IIRC and remove the plastic thingy at the bottom of the grip. So you have to save these if the Hogue grip goes south. The grip really makes shooting it more pleasing. Used to be with the original grip I'd cringe whenever I shot it. It would sort of sting. Now its not bad at all

Bob

Thanks Bob, may do this

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Monday, September 26, 2016, 18:07 (2918 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

I wonder what the service life of the LCP is? NT

by Bryan @, Saturday, September 24, 2016, 21:40 (2920 days ago) @ Hobie

-

shoot a little carry a lot...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, September 25, 2016, 08:42 (2920 days ago) @ Bryan

iirc under 5,000 rounds

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

That will affect my usage for sure. NT

by Bryan @, Sunday, September 25, 2016, 14:18 (2919 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

-

They are so cheap now, you could buy 2 and keep the spare

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, September 25, 2016, 18:28 (2919 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

available for just in case.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

That's a good point. They aren't expensive. NT

by Bryan @, Sunday, September 25, 2016, 21:37 (2919 days ago) @ Hobie

-

i just gavgfe awayn number13... LCPs are handy...and great

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, September 25, 2016, 22:48 (2919 days ago) @ Bryan

gifts... young cop has it now...

--

yes sir! nt

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, September 26, 2016, 17:36 (2918 days ago) @ Hobie

nt

--

Mine is an early, post-recall model...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Sunday, September 25, 2016, 23:13 (2919 days ago) @ Bryan

that has seen 200-250 rounds a year for the past 5 years; and it was well used when when I got it. I've never added anything to it other than a fresh magazine when the one on board ran dry. It's never choked with anything. I stripped it to the frame awhile back for a well-earned deep cleaning, I didn't find any peening, battering etc.

It's a great little pocket gun that has replaced the many before it.

380 Auto

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Saturday, September 24, 2016, 20:19 (2920 days ago) @ Creeker

I think your going to like the little LCP, I bought one when they first came out. I thought it might work up to about 15 feet or so , well was I shocked when I shot it at 25 yds Yes 25 yards! I could put all my bullets in a paper plate that's way out there for a small gun with all most no sights, the trigger takes some time to learn . Plus my LCP has never jammed up with any bullet I tried, I reload Remington golden sabers for practice,(I bought a few thousand years ago while working with a walther PPK and PPKS. I carry it in a milt sparks (POC )in the pocket holster, and my carry load is hydra shocks . I think its a great LITTLE GUN that can sit in your right front pocket and you all most forget its there. My main carry gun is a full size 1911 or( Please don`t tell anybody) a Glock 23 or 19 .I have yet to try cast bullets in the LCP. PS. every week take it out and shoot it and clean out all the lint and dust. my 2 cents. :-D :usa:

Thank you Sir

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Saturday, September 24, 2016, 20:28 (2920 days ago) @ Fivegunner

Looks like you're all set Lynn!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, September 26, 2016, 06:53 (2919 days ago) @ Creeker

I handled my first one at CSA when Jeff Quinn graciously handed me his and a box of ammo with instructions to give it a go. As soon as I got back to MN, I had my pusher order one up for me. It's been a constant companion ever since and the finish is beginning to show it. (Even was walking into the airport once when Miss Beth stopped me and asked if there might have been something I forgot.) Had an issue with the magazine 'auto-releasing' but, taking advantage of Ruger's recall, had that taken care of when it went through their upgrade.

I has flawlessly fed and fired everything I've stuffed into it. Including the ammo rejected by Melodie's Glock (shhh, don't tell anyone) or her Body Guard. It did not, however, provide a one-stop-shot on a rogue porcupine but it was early and I was in my skivvies so the concentration needed for good shot placement was likely a bit lacking.

For what it is, I believe you'll be happy. I've been seriously thinking of getting another.

Looks like you're all set Lynn!

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Monday, September 26, 2016, 07:39 (2919 days ago) @ Hoot

I'm making a mental note not shoot porcupines in my skivvies.;-)

I'm tempted to add another one myself. NT

by Bryan @, Monday, September 26, 2016, 16:19 (2918 days ago) @ Hoot

-

Just got a 2nd one to put away...

by Bryan @, Monday, September 26, 2016, 21:30 (2918 days ago) @ Creeker

I haven't tried to wear out a gun before but it might be fun to work on that. It was only $200 so it might be a fun experiment.

Agree

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Tuesday, September 27, 2016, 09:56 (2918 days ago) @ Bryan

RSS Feed of thread