I've been thinking about shooting goals lately...

by Bryan @, Ft Worth, TX, Sunday, September 18, 2016, 16:44 (2926 days ago)

haven't had any in awhile due to new work contracts keeping me busy. Not a complaint as it's nice to be busy.

However, I've been wanting to polish my handgun skills. They were pretty decent while living in Alaska years ago but I've gotten rusty with being busy with other things. So here are some basic areas I want to work on for myself (non-competitive)...

The 2 main areas I want to improve in are DA revolver and 1911.

I've got a nice K38 and a bunch of wadcutter brass to work on DA skills. I wanted to get a 357 snub to be a highly critical DA instructor but haven't done so yet.

I've got a good Kimber 1911 (don't have the Les Baer yet) and a surprisingly accurate Colt Ace to work on those skills.

On the SA side, I've got the 3 FAs I wanted...17 HMR and 45 Colt/ACPs to teach and 500 WE to practice sparingly plus various other 32s, rimfire, etc.

I've got lots of powder and primers and rimfire ammo.

I've got some vintage military rifles that I want to really learn their iron sights well but that's another subject.

I look forward to the lessons. What are some things you are working on?

A great place to start...

by Byron, Sunday, September 18, 2016, 17:36 (2926 days ago) @ Bryan
edited by Byron, Sunday, September 18, 2016, 18:36

Go to: http://artoftherifle.com/

Not pistol shooting but still a very important skill.

Read everything this guy has to say. It will take a while but is worth it. Pay attention.

Start with his take on "snap shooting" and then move on to his instruction and observations on field position shooting with a high powered bolt action rifle. Study and plan on shooting a lot.

Cooper could have learned a lot from this guy.

Report back.

Byron

Thx for the link. Doing well in an Appleseed is a goal.NT

by Bryan @, Ft Worth, TX, Sunday, September 18, 2016, 22:33 (2926 days ago) @ Byron

-

Appleseed

by MDF99 @, SW Ohio, Friday, September 23, 2016, 12:35 (2922 days ago) @ Bryan

I managed to shoot rifleman score, barely, earlier this summer with a peep sighted Ruger 10/22 on the last target of the day. I struggled seeing that bottom row of 4 small targets. I'm looking forwards to going back with optics next time!

Changing gears and shot placement.....

by Gunner @, St Louis, Tuesday, September 20, 2016, 17:55 (2924 days ago) @ Bryan

Two things I mainly work on.....

1) Changing gears, an old IPSC saying, being able to speed up or down to make the shot count. Example....5 targets, 3 wide open and 2 partly covered, going from fast on the open targets then down shifting speed to make accurate hits on the covered targets. Even after 23+ years of IPSC shooting I never could down shift enough : (

2) Shot placement.....not just hitting the target but a spot of the target. Easy to dump a 8 round mag from a 1911 on a 10" steel target fast, but I want to be able to shoot fast and keep the shots in a group in the center and not look like a shotgun pattern on the plate.

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

"...I never could down shift enough"

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, September 20, 2016, 19:59 (2924 days ago) @ Gunner

Gunner, you've always been wired to a higher frequency...at least as far as I've known. ;-)

Thats what everyone says!

by Gunner @, St Louis, Tuesday, September 20, 2016, 21:14 (2924 days ago) @ Hoot

nt

--

It's always interesting to hear individual goals...

by Bryan @, Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 14:05 (2924 days ago) @ Gunner

I'm just wired that way. How much shooting do you do these days?

Not enough for sure.......

by Gunner @, St Louis, Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 18:42 (2923 days ago) @ Bryan

Sadly not near enough, years back I was shooting 6-800 rounds per week, then a growing family cut me back. The last three years bladesmithing dropped it to almost nothing, the last few months I am slowly getting back into it.

Gunner

--

I would like to shoot about 500 a week. NT

by Bryan @, Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 19:01 (2923 days ago) @ Gunner

-

RSS Feed of thread