Awesome day!

by Otony, Sunday, May 06, 2012, 20:30 (4376 days ago) @ Otony

Between the three of us (my buddy brought his 8 year old son) we burned up about 400 rounds, and averaged about a 75% hit ratio. Didn't keep an exact count as it was too fast, fun, and hilarious, all at the same time. All our shooting was in rolling hills covered with grape vines, BTW.

Right about the time I had fired my 100th round, a little collar on the shaft going into the recoil chamber of my 550-1 jammed over a spring. It is on there solid, and will need careful ministrations to remove. Nothing appears permanently damaged, but I am ordering some spare parts from Numrich regardless. I shared a rifle with my host's son from there on out.

Up until that point, the Remmie worked almost flawlessly. A few stovepipes, but considering the last time the rifle was cleaned, ahem, that is not too unusual.

Accuracy was very good, and the rifle made a fine impression on my buddy. I am going to search for a suitable peep sight, as scoping this vintage piece seems like a sin. Yep, all shots were with open sights. My buddy and his son used a pair of Browning lever action .22s, again with open sights. Maybe a red dot would have served nicely, but at the ranges we were shooting, a scope might actually have been a bit of a handicap. Being able to watch for movement over the iron sights was invaluable.

As an aside, I managed to scare a few rats using a Beretta Bobcat .22LR, and scored a hit with a Bersa Thunder .22LR. Only fired a magazine each from the pistols, as we were trying to keep our sound profile low.

A good day, I am well pleased.....

Otony

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread