Favorites but not the same...........

by Gunner @, St Louis, Saturday, August 27, 2016, 06:50 (2949 days ago)

Everybody likes favorite discussions so here is one that is a little different.....

My favorite cartridge is the 41 Magnum, I like my Marlin 1894, 7 1/2" Freedom Arms, 4 5/8 NM Blackhawk and 4" M57, depending on my mood one more than the other.

BUT.....my favorite handgun is the 1911A1, it just feels better in my hand than any other handgun, the look of it tops my list. Speed of follow up shots, drawing ability and accuracy add up to position it #1 in my book. Don't get me wrong I really like the 45 acp round but it's not my favorite but the 1911A1 is.

Rifles are the same........my favorite is the AR15 by far but the 223/556 is ok, nothing special in my book, fast, loud and small diameter. The 416 Ruger is by far my favorite rifle cartridge, big, powerful and a great looking round, whacks hogs nicely as well. Wonder what the 458 SOCOM cartridge would look like necked down to 41 caliber??? Be an interesting combo....AR15/41 SOCOM, might make it to #1.

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

by uncowboy, Saturday, August 27, 2016, 08:26 (2949 days ago) @ Gunner

1911 a1 all ready has a 41 conversion sort of like the 357 44 BD It was a simple bbl swap out or there were glue in liners. You could make your 1911 a 41.

by rob @, Saturday, August 27, 2016, 09:31 (2949 days ago) @ Gunner

I'm in the same boat with the 1911. It is my favorite handgun. It feels exactly right in the hand, I can carry a full size GM easier than a Glock19 (thinner), it draws smooth and points extremely well. I love the 45 ACP round but it's not my favorite cartridge. It's easy to shoot, hits hard, simple and economical to load. But as far as favorite loads go I can't decide between 9mm, 357 and 44 Mag, 45 ACP and one I don't have, but have had and want again...really badly...the 10mm, of course in a 1911. I guess they are all favorites:)

41 Avenger.......

by Gunner @, St Louis, Saturday, August 27, 2016, 10:01 (2949 days ago) @ uncowboy

I have one, bought the last one SSK Ind had, actually ordered it from JD himself, talked to him on the phone, he put me on hold while he searched the warehouse for it. He found it on the back of a shelf behind some other items.

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

Another thing I like about the 1911 is...

by rob @, Saturday, August 27, 2016, 10:25 (2949 days ago) @ Gunner

the trigger is only slightly curved. I don't like sharply curved triggers on anything. I like my CZ75 stainless but that rounded trigger does to my right trigger finger the same as the Sig 226 I gave my wife...the tip of the trigger digs into the edge of my finger right under the finger nail. It becomes quite painful after a few DA shots. I put a Cajun Gun Works trigger system in it and it's a lot better...actually pretty amazing, but I don't trust the little set screws in the trigger to not move, Lock-tite not withstanding. The 1911 does not have those issues.

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Saturday, August 27, 2016, 10:57 (2949 days ago) @ Gunner

My first real handguns were a GI 1911 from 1918, still have it, and Ruger SS, still have that too. However, now days, the handgun that gets shot the most in my XDm 9mm Comp because its easy to shoot, I can hit with it and easy to load for. Next in line in 45 Colt in Ruger SA or Redhawk, followed closely by 686 5" Talo special.

by bj @, Saturday, August 27, 2016, 20:16 (2948 days ago) @ Gunner

I have a favorite wife and a favorite daughter (only have one wife and one daughter), but it is too much strain to pick favorites of anything else. There are lots of calibers and lots of platforms I like, and different ones work best for different things. I have lots of hobbies so I would have to pick favorite watch, favorite computer, favorite camera, favorite car, etc. Far too stressful to think of all that.

But I do like S&W, Ruger, Colt, Winchester, Remington and Freedom Arms. And .357, .44, .45ACP, .45Colt, .223, .308, .30-30. Plus whatever I can't remember at the moment.

Number 1 AR...

by Byron, Monday, August 29, 2016, 15:55 (2946 days ago) @ Gunner

Please be aware that the original Stoner design was a 7.62mm rifle that is still available in the AR10 series and manufactured by a number of firms.

Also, there are a number of full length .41 caliber .308 wildcats that would simple need a new barrel to be up and running. Same same bolts, mags and everything from the .308. It would be a reloading only round but given your choice of caliber might be worth the effort. You would not be limited by the short 5.56 sized actions.

Some say that the .41/.308 wildcats are an issue due to the small shoulder and need to headspace on the case mouth however others say that is simple a old wives tail and no big deal.

Regardless, with a bit of money, time and effort you could have your cake and eat it too.

Cheers,

Byron

I've toyed with the idea of a .416 Magnum in the AR10

by mcassill, Tuesday, August 30, 2016, 15:33 (2945 days ago) @ Gunner

Did a fair bit of research into that, in fact. JD Jones will even sell you a ready-made upper in what is essentially the .416 RSAUM.

RSS Feed of thread