Iver Johnson Model 55 .22

by Scribe, Tuesday, August 23, 2016, 08:54 (2953 days ago)

Hi,

Looking at an Iver Johnson Target Model 55 8-shot .22 revolver. Not much to look at on the outside, but internals seem OK and it functions OK.

Any good news/bad news about this handgun? Seeking the tribe's collective wisdom/experience on this one.

Scribe

Not familiar with that exact model...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, August 23, 2016, 13:15 (2953 days ago) @ Scribe

but I-J built, at a minimum, adequate revolvers in my experience. Not as tough as a Ruger nor as refined as an S&W/Colt but somewhere between Good and Very Good. Full disassembly can be frustrating, or rather, the reassembly part of it. Resale, if you worry about that, will never be great but, assuming it's got a low-dollar price tag, you should get your money out. Parts may be an issue should something break.

IMO, no real reason not to pick it up if you have that itch.

By the way, it's good to see you posting. How are things going for you?

Iver Johnson Model 55, I've owned a couple....

by Otony, Tuesday, August 23, 2016, 13:26 (2953 days ago) @ Scribe

.....and rather admire them.

The trigger return springs can be fragile if abused, so stick to measured rates of fire. Trying to shoot these fast and hard for long periods can be tough on them. Not to say that it is a weak or poor design, just not as sturdy as a Smith or Ruger DA revolver.

I've had a 55 and a Cadet, and wouldn't mind owning either one again. The I-J Cadet was a VERY handy little popper.

I've also owned several H&R revolvers of similar ilk, and like them well enough but preferred the Iver Johnsons.

Hope that helps......

Otony

Iver Johnson Model 55, I've owned a couple....

by Scribe, Tuesday, August 23, 2016, 13:55 (2952 days ago) @ Otony

Thanks.

No danger of me shooting it fast 'n' furious. It's just the older I get, the more I like the older revolvers. This one was built between '55 and '57 and I respect its age.

Scribe

Not familiar with that exact model...

by Scribe, Tuesday, August 23, 2016, 13:58 (2952 days ago) @ Hoot

I'm OK as is my daughter, Jill. My wife, Babs, not so much. We just got some more bad news health-wise about her on Friday and apparently, she got more this morning, but won't talk about it over the phone. Not really looking forward to that face-to-face conversation later today.

Scribe

Good to hear of your improvements

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, August 24, 2016, 09:48 (2952 days ago) @ Scribe

Prayers for your family.

RSS Feed of thread