Another I remember the article, but who wrote it.

by MR, Friday, August 19, 2016, 17:20 (2956 days ago)

Someone wrote a gun article back when about wanting to build a lightweight pack rifle. I think they used a rolling block action, and I clearly remember they built it in .250 Savage. It would have been in the 1970's I do believe.

Another I remember the article, but who wrote it.

by Drago, Saturday, August 20, 2016, 00:22 (2956 days ago) @ MR

The article "Build Your Own Pack In Rifle" written by Ron Terrell, was in the Dec 1968,and January 1969 Guns & Ammo. The January issue was the first gun magazine I ever bought. Besides the pack rifle,there's an article by EK with his favorite sixgun loads.

Thanks. After more thought it was in the first

by MR, Saturday, August 20, 2016, 09:43 (2956 days ago) @ Drago

of my reading also. It's amazing how some of those old articles stick with you through the years. That was a big part of the inspiration all these years later for the 7mm-08 suppressed briefcase rifle that came together earlier this year.

You're Welcome!

by Drago, Saturday, August 20, 2016, 12:23 (2956 days ago) @ MR
edited by Drago, Saturday, August 20, 2016, 14:58

I still have that magazine after all these years. I can't bring myself to toss it out.I looked up your post about your 7mm-08, but was disappointed the photo(s) have been taken down.Can you re-post them? http://forum.sixshootercommunity.com/index.php?id=21327

553 lasered yards a 12 x 12 inch rock (est. by mil.)

by MR, Saturday, August 20, 2016, 22:14 (2955 days ago) @ Drago

Curt center punched the rock repeatedly.
But he has had a bit of training. :-)

[image]

[image]

Changes since the original post.

by MR, Saturday, August 20, 2016, 22:36 (2955 days ago) @ MR

The first 16 and a bit cut and threading yielded baffle strikes. First job on a new lathe at that shop - pffft. So after mulling around for a bit and deciding it really needed to have the suppressed option or I would never be happy with it, I sent it to ADCO and had it recut to 15 inches and a Yankee Hill mount permanently mounted to it's snout. I could have gone to 14 inches before the mount and it would still be legal without sbr'ing it but Hodgdon has load data for a 15 inch 7mm-08 in it's pistol section on the web.

Also the scope is now the Leupold Mark AR in an Armalite mount off of one of my AR's.
It seemed a better option. The mil dot reticle worked out well for hold over and ranging at the ranges at Whittington. That's a EGW rail on it. The Handi Rifle rail wouldn't fit the Armalite mount spacing. We were shooting plain old Hornady 139 American Whitetail factory ammo that I caught on sale at Academy. I'm working on a 160 Sierra load that will stay supersonic well past 100 yards out of the 15 inch barrel - for no other reason than it's just something I want to mess with.

I'll probably put together some weight Nosler partition load for hogs at the Rocking D.

** should read out past 1000 yards.

by MR, Saturday, August 20, 2016, 22:38 (2955 days ago) @ MR

553 lasered yards a 12 x 12 inch rock (est. by mil.)

by Drago, Saturday, August 20, 2016, 23:19 (2955 days ago) @ MR

Very nice. :-D Thanks for the update.

RSS Feed of thread