My EDC knife when I can't carry a gun...

by stonewalrus, Thursday, August 18, 2016, 22:18 (2957 days ago)

[image]

Figured out a holster J hook makes a good tuckable on these kydex sheaths with all the holes. Cold Steel Tanto Lite - flat handle works well too.

My EDC knife when I can't carry a gun...

by Frank S, Friday, August 19, 2016, 07:11 (2957 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Nice! Where can you carry a knife but not a handgun concealed?

i was wondering the same thing.....

by Otony, Friday, August 19, 2016, 08:09 (2957 days ago) @ Frank S

Concealed knife that size is not kosher in Washington state.

Otony

My work is posted against firearms. They removed the length

by stonewalrus, Friday, August 19, 2016, 10:29 (2957 days ago) @ Frank S

Restriction on knives last year and also allow switchblades now.

I don't know about your laws...

by Brian A, Friday, August 19, 2016, 08:54 (2957 days ago) @ stonewalrus

But carrying a large knife concealed here in MI is an invitation to problems with the law. Even our CPL licenses do not allow for carrying knives. I am an environmental worker who cannot carry a firearm at work frequently because of employer requirements. I can always carry a large knife and/or a hatchet as part of my field kit though and usually have both even when carrying a firearm. The most common knife is a Marbles Bowie/machete made in El Salvadore by Condor and the hatchet is a Vaughn carpenters axe. For an alternative, have carried a Cold Steel Tanto-lite or their Outdoorsman-lite in place of the machete.

Used to be no longer than 4" - that was removed the same

by stonewalrus, Friday, August 19, 2016, 10:30 (2957 days ago) @ Brian A

Time they removed the ban on switchblades.

Anti Knife laws are bad laws... when I was a cook, I often

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, August 19, 2016, 09:45 (2957 days ago) @ stonewalrus

walked to work. I made a sheath for my Chef's knife... learned to conceal it. Avoided getting stopped and questioned. in AZ, where there are NO restrictions...
[image]
With a proper sheath one can easily and comfortably hide a decent sized blade...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

with feigned Aussie accent

by cr., Tuesday, August 30, 2016, 19:22 (2945 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Now that's a knife..

IMO...

by Byron, Friday, August 19, 2016, 11:13 (2957 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Two things.

1. Don't live in a dumb place. While some may consider the state in which I live "backward", one thing is clear. You can pretty much do whatever you want as long as it doesn't step on anyone else's toes (except it is still illegal to smoke dope here). We have no knife laws at all. I workout every morning on post and while the MPs at the main gate don't give knives a second look will bust you quick if they find a firearm in your truck. The dogs can smell them.

2. After a couple of close range force on force handgun classes and a couple of military combative classes (LINES and MACs) it becomes clear that most if not all interpersonal violence that one might face outside a battle field will be at conversational distance. At arm's length a strong sharp blade is at least as good as a sidearm if one is up to really getting with it.

Anecdotal reports are that thugs will back off shining steel faster than a brandished pistol but I don't know nothing about that.

WOW - never thought about dogs being able to smell guns

by stonewalrus, Friday, August 19, 2016, 13:31 (2956 days ago) @ Byron

Gun oil, I guess...

Powder residue as well.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, August 19, 2016, 14:52 (2956 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Former boss was reloading shotgun shells the night before he flew into Israel on business. The dogs at the security check picked up on that and his life was miserable for a couple of hours.

It is the multi-purpose dogs......

by Ray L, Friday, August 19, 2016, 16:32 (2956 days ago) @ Hoot

that are good (bad) about sniffing out g.s.r......during jury duty we were locked down due to a economical $5000 multi-purpose dog pointing at a street post office box in front of the courthouse.......the postman was there in a quarter of an hour of being summoned to open the box and officially observe the inspection......the dog sniffed out two letters......a deputy working courthouse security had posted a personal bill payment his glock 23 had been shot recently but not cleaned......then there was an innocent brightly colored specialty type envelope, you know, birthday, anniversary, etc......sometime later we learned there was a mystery of sorts in that the deputy's left thumb print with g.s.r. residue was found on the citizen's envelope.....he was adamant that he only dropped his bill in the box and did not touch anyone's else's mail......does anyone else hear the rod serling theme music ?

Powder residue as well.

by Jared, Sunday, August 21, 2016, 09:38 (2955 days ago) @ Hoot

I was a little surprised I never got tagged for anything with all the traveling I did. Everything I own probably has some trace of GSR. In fact before one trip I was walking out the door in uniform to the airport and took a shot at a coyote in the pasture.

I would never want to take one of my vehicles into another country because I know there is ammo or spent brass in places I don't know about. .22s out of a semi auto have a way of flinging on the dash and down the window defrost vents.

CRKT has the Avenger with a 4" blade already set up IWB

by stonewalrus, Friday, August 19, 2016, 21:48 (2956 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Which is what gave me the idea. Just don't like it as well.[image]

RSS Feed of thread