Gonna have to get me an orthopedic handgun

by bob, Tuesday, August 16, 2016, 13:46 (2959 days ago)

Accumulated damage to my rotator cuffs says that my Glock .45 isn't fun to shoot any longer; all I'm shooting from my Security 6 is factory wadcutters, my full power .357 loads aren't nice either.
So where do I look for a carry gun? Never been a fan of the 9MM but with modern loads many like it and it does come in some nice, small versions, but which? Not interested in a .380FWIW, since I already have a J-frame Unobtanium .32Mag.
Suggestions?
bob

9mm Commander all steel for better recoil mitigation

by ERSisk @, Tuesday, August 16, 2016, 14:03 (2959 days ago) @ bob

Or a 22 TCM Rock River commander.

by ~JM~, Tuesday, August 16, 2016, 14:03 (2959 days ago) @ bob

Might consider a Kahr PM/CM-9 for a mini. Not inexpensive, but are supposed to be the most reliable & high quality for a mini-9.

Springfield EMP or Ruger.

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Tuesday, August 16, 2016, 15:50 (2959 days ago) @ bob

My EDC is an XD9C, a compact 9mm with 13 rounds available. Fits my hands and I can shoot it well. My range gun is XDm 9 5.25". I have been a 1911 shooter since about 1958. I have 45's, 38 Supers and 9mm's. I'm 75 now and have trouble with control over the 1911's, no matter what size or cartridge. I have found the XD and XDm to be easier to control and easier on my body than the 1911's. So I shoot what I can shoot well and the others are just for fun now. FWIW, my XDm 5.25" 9 has over 25k rounds thru it without a gun failure. The XD9C has over 4k rounds thru it w/o a failure. Just my experience.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Tuesday, August 16, 2016, 16:34 (2959 days ago) @ bob

I like the shield for a small carry gun. It's the best shooting 'pocket nine' I've tried. The steel frames Kahrs shoot very well too, just a little heavy for the size; which helps them shoot easier. As much as I hate to say it, it's hard to beat a Glock 19...

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

I am carring an M&P 9mm with 115 +Ps

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, August 16, 2016, 17:45 (2959 days ago) @ bob

it does it for me. Look at the Shield or compact M&P

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

What's wrong....

by Glen, Tuesday, August 16, 2016, 21:10 (2959 days ago) @ bob

....with a .38 Special? Find a 3" J-frame, and load it with the FBI Load, and you're good to go.

My Missus...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Tuesday, August 16, 2016, 21:12 (2959 days ago) @ bob

has some accumulated injuries to her hands, wrists & shoulder with a little nerve damage from the surgeries. The cumulative effect was that her SR40C was no longer comfortable to shoot for more than a few rounds. I suggested a 9 but she wasn't having any of that ;)

We looked a Shield but the grip was a little narrow to suit her. The FFL happened to have a M&P40C and when she handled it, the search was over. We found her a clean copshop trade in with bright night sights. I've shot it some myself and it is the softest shooting 40 compact I've ever fired. It uses a soft rubber insert at the lower-rear of the frame and the Compact's grip is broad enough to spread the recoil around well. If more people tried the M&P Compact, Glock wouldn't sell nearly as many 27's as they do now.

As easy as this 40 is to shoot, the M&P9C should handle like a big 22. Suggest you give them a look when you get a chance.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/smith-wessons-mp-40-compact/

I have the 9C - great fun, feels much better to me than a

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, August 16, 2016, 22:13 (2959 days ago) @ Sarge

Glock. Good sights and trigger. Definitely more pleasant to shoot than my son's Glock 27.

a 9c is my next purchase... Tom, you enabler. Great article,

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 10:20 (2959 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Steve, I linked it out on SRH's fb page...

--

I need to give an M&P another try...

by rob @, Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 12:39 (2958 days ago) @ Sarge

I bought an early 9mm duty sized version and the trigger was terrible. For whatever reason it felt good in the LGS but once on range it was pitiful. Even from a rest I had a hard time getting decent accuracy out of it. But I liked how it looked (most attractive polymer gun made in my opinion) and I loved how it felt in my hand. I wanted to make it work badly but just couldn't. I bought that stainless CZ 75 recently and the ultra round trigger was bothering my trigger finger so I put a Cajun Gun Works reach reduction kit in it that has a straighter trigger (designed to match the old 97 trigger), a modified disconnecter to move trigger position back a slight bit) and installed a spring kit and some other upgrades. The action is exception and so far it's been dead nuts reliable but with the trigger having an adjustment screw for trigger return reset (to stop forward travel right at reset) and an over travel stop screw, I'm afraid to use it for a defensive pistol. I red locktited the screws but still... For a carry gun I'd rather have something a bit less modified.

I need to give an M&P another try...yep

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 13:26 (2958 days ago) @ rob

Apex triggers are the next thing fro my household M&Ps ...

--

I need to give an M&P another try...yep

by rob @, Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 16:14 (2958 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

That may well be the answer if I get another one.

you can experiment with different ammo

by bj @, Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 19:31 (2958 days ago) @ Sarge

I noticed that some years back Federal offered a 135 gr. load in .40, and I seem to remember that it was loaded a bit down in intensity. It follows that the total recoil should be in the lower end of the range.

Well, a .40 is out

by bob, Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 20:41 (2958 days ago) @ bob

have no desire to add another calibre to my reloading shelf! I have LARGE stocks of .45ACP, .38 and .357, so Glens' idea might have to be the one, tho I don't want another unobtanium resolver, carbon or stainless and yes, I do wish I hadn't sold my M60! Also have a supply of 9mm socked away, don't ask why! So one of the smaller 9's might work if I can have a 7 round mag, or izzit clip this week?????
Tnx for the ideas, now to look at websites for dimensions.
bob

Well, a .40 is out

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 21:03 (2958 days ago) @ bob

Here's a 3" J frame. Looks like he is willing to ship. I can get contact info if you're interested.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handguns-pistols-revolvers/416861-very-nice-s-w-model-37-...

--

Well, a .40 is out

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, August 18, 2016, 08:20 (2958 days ago) @ bob

There's a 3" Smith 37 for sale on an Indiana board for $425. I tried to post a link to the ad, but the spam monster didn't allow it...

Up for sale today we have a very nice Smith & Wesson Model 37 3" Barrel .38 Spl.

This blued revolver has a pinned barrel and was built pre-lock in 1976. Comes with a rubber Hougue and the factory wood grips. No scratches or damage, as the pictures show, this is a nice revolver with the classic old-time S&W quality from 1976.

I can get contact info if you are interested.

--

In that case...

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, August 18, 2016, 17:17 (2957 days ago) @ bob

take a look at the M&P Shield. It comes with both 7 and 8 round magazines and extra mags are available on evilbay for much less than standard retail prices. In 9mm my wife shoots it well enough and it's a fairly well mannered little popper that's been reliable from the get go - in my experience.

by LAH @, Thursday, August 18, 2016, 11:12 (2958 days ago) @ bob

I use an MP 9C S&W. Love the little gun. It is a double stack, 12 round platform. I hear lots of complaints about the trigger but mine leaves nothing to be desired in a carry gun. If I would change anything I would go to the Shield. I preach without a coat so the Shield is better in the rear pocket or perhaps an ankle holster.

RSS Feed of thread