Which bullet for deer with the 7.62 Russian Short?

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, August 05, 2016, 07:57 (2971 days ago)

7.62x39, of course. The platform is a Zastava Model 85, AKA the Mini Mauser. I have a few makes of 123/125gr soft points, a couple hundred cast spire points and they all shoot well. I also tried some 150gr. bullets originally for the .303 Brit and they stabilized at least to around 50 yards. More experimentation is needed there to make sure they stay stable at longer ranges.

I have heard good things about the Hornady 123gr. SST's and have some of those in stock.

Shots here in MN tend to be quite close range for the norm; say 40 yards or so. There could be a rare shot on a clear cut which may stretch to 100 or a bit more but it's not expected.

What do you think?

Thanks!

I would look at those Hornady 123gr. SST's or

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, August 05, 2016, 08:29 (2971 days ago) @ Hoot

some similar. But, that is advice from a man with no deer kills with that caliber... Those mini Mausers sure are intriguing!

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I would look at those Hornady 123gr. SST's or

by uncowboy, Friday, August 05, 2016, 09:23 (2971 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

The Nosler 125gr are known good but I have never used them.

Assuming the bore is .308 and not .310 or .311...,

by DMann, Friday, August 05, 2016, 09:33 (2971 days ago) @ Hoot

I have used Nosler 125 grain Ballistic Tips in an H&R Handi Rifle. My son Will used it to take his first deer, a 200 lb 6 point - one shot - 30 cal entry, about a three inch exit, lots of lung damage and tore the aorta right off the heart.

Doug Mann

Owned a Mini 30 once for a short time.

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Friday, August 05, 2016, 09:59 (2971 days ago) @ Hoot

Took a couple of deer with it simply using Winchester factory 123 soft points. My brother has a CZ and has taken a couple with a cast bullet. Trying to get that info from him and will let you know when I hear from him.

by Ray L, Friday, August 05, 2016, 15:22 (2970 days ago) @ Hoot

cannot advise on component bullet for handloading but there is no better deer killer ammunition in that chambering than the prvi partizan sprn......they make a pointy one but the stubby round nose is the one that you want, in profile, looks like a .35 rem......i showed one to a millennial tactitard the other day and he said with a sneer: "why its not even pointy!", i guess inferring that its bluntness would cause it to bounce-off.....

Just a thought...

by Byron, Friday, August 05, 2016, 15:22 (2970 days ago) @ Hoot

Somewhere back in the barn is a bit of Yugo M67 7.62x39mm ball ammo. Somewhat less than a pallet. This is generally considered to be the absolute top of the line in 30 Russian Short. Beautiful brass cases, annealed necks and non-corrosive primers. In addition, review indicate that the bullet will "violently" fragment upon contact with soft tissue causing massive wounds. A bit of playing around with it indicates that the statement is true. It is head and shoulders above any Russian Short I have ever shot. This is sure fire killer ammo.

While I have very little experience in shooting deer, it is my observation that they are pretty easy to kill. Last fall I shot one right in the chest in my back yard with a Silvertip out of a P35 and it did the predictable thing pretty quick.

I would not hesitate for a second to shoot a deer within 100 yards with this ammo. Please note it is FMJ so it may not past muster if you need soft points for the Fish and Game.

If you want I will send you a box.

Cheers,

Byron

M67 Yugo

by Bob Hatfield @, Saturday, August 06, 2016, 05:23 (2970 days ago) @ Byron

I bought a case of that back in the day probably have 2/3rds left. It was packed in 30 round boxes on SKS/AK strippers. I may be mistaken but I seem to have read that it is corrosive. Plus like you said it is supposedly to be the deadliest 30 Russian ball made. I guy could make it look like a hunting bullet with a file LOL.

Bob

+1

by Byron, Saturday, August 06, 2016, 07:12 (2970 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

You sir are correct.

M67 is corrosive.

Cheers,

Byron

Thank you Byron.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Saturday, August 06, 2016, 06:36 (2970 days ago) @ Byron

A generous offer. I have hundreds of pieces of brass and several times that in projectiles so it is really unneeded here but I do appreciate it.

I got to thinking yesterday, after I posted, I am probably over-thinking this one. Not uncommon here. My tendency is large calibers and heavy projectiles because I enjoy hunting with them. Deer do not require a 9.3x62 or a .416 Taylor but that doesn't mean I won't use them. Stack these up against the 30 Russian Short and it 'seems' a bit lacking. I'll work up something that shoots well and go find Bambi...the harder part of the equation here'bouts.

by Catoosa, Saturday, August 06, 2016, 09:41 (2970 days ago) @ Hoot

Some years back one the herd that roamed my parents' place had an encounter with a car that left her with a badly broken hip. I was down there for the weekend, and Dad wanted me to put her down. All I had with me was my short SKS carbine, and some Russian 123 grain soft points. I didn't have much confidence that those people knew how to make hunting bullets, but I tried one on some water-filled milk jugs and it expanded most impressively. Worked for the purpose that one time. I think you can still get them under the Red Army label.

by mcassill, Wednesday, August 10, 2016, 07:39 (2966 days ago) @ Catoosa

For those velocities it really isn't hard to make a decent soft point.
If a fellow really wanted to gold-plate the project Barnes makes an X specific to the Russian Short.

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Wednesday, August 10, 2016, 13:07 (2966 days ago) @ Catoosa
edited by Sarge, Wednesday, August 10, 2016, 13:13

Some years back I had the ugly task of sorting through a multiple homicide in which Norinco 7.62x39 soft point with the mild steel jacket was used. The brittle jacket shatters and the stuff literally acts like a big varmint bullet in flesh and autopsy/radiology confirmed cavitation and fragmentation way out of proportion to the cartridge used. Any of the soft points with magnetic jackets should yield similar results.

I have used a little of it and it is a coyote stomper to about 100 yards. Would be fine for deer within the same parameters as plain vanilla 223 SP. Avoid raking shots.

Wolf/Tula also offer a 154 grain softpoint that acted like a regular hunting bullet when turned on water jugs backed by a catalog. Haven't killed anything with it yet though.

[image]

http://soviet-steel.com/showthread.php?t=3110

Nice link Sarge.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, August 10, 2016, 14:51 (2965 days ago) @ Sarge

Thanks.

I know a few folks who are chasing deer with the 300 Blackout. They tend towards heavier bullets at subsonic velocities (per the design parameters, as I understand). I see the 7.62x39 as a "Soviet Blackout", if you will (yeah, the x39 predates the BK.....a bunch). I think I want to try some longer distance trials with the 150gr bullet for the Brit. If they stabilize at greater distances, it might be a good thing. Couple that with a call to Hornady to discuss velocities vs. expansion. Good things to think on.

RSS Feed of thread